Long Island Shooters Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Installed a Nightowl DVR and 4 wired camera a couple of years ago and love. Just wish I went with the 8 camera system. Also have a D-Link wireless camera to keep an eye on the pooch on the inside of the house. D-Link wireless does not have the ability to go back and time and view a past event.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Installed a Nightowl DVR and 4 wired camera a couple of years ago and love. Just wish I went with the 8 camera system. Also have a D-Link wireless camera to keep an eye on the pooch on the inside of the house. D-Link wireless does not have the ability to go back and time and view a past event.
I almost made the same mistake you made. My friend takes me into getting the bigger DVR, this way you have room to add on.
If you think about it, if you have a square house, you would want 2 cameras at each corner looking away from each other. This way you have all 4 corners covered and your entire house is on camera. But they you get into adding the front door, the back door, the garage, the back yard, the driveway etc. it adds up quick.

·
Registered
567 Posts
When it time for a new DVR Camaro45th you are correct. I would like to add one by the entrances, they are covered but from a distance.

I almost made the same mistake you made. My friend takes me into getting the bigger DVR, this way you have room to add on.
If you think about it, if you have a square house, you would want 2 cameras at each corner looking away from each other. This way you have all 4 corners covered and your entire house is on camera. But they you get into adding the front door, the back door, the garage, the back yard, the driveway etc. it adds up quick.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the skybell and am happy with it. No monthly/ annual payments.

If I'm going to look into whole house security, like previously discussed, you gotta pay to play.

Only thing is with technology advances what you pay 2000 for today will be outdated in 12 months.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I run about 16 Arlo cameras in and outside the home... these run off 2 base units that setup their own wifi for the cameras.
They work well, cost about $150 for the year with 30 days storage and 4k recordings on some of the better cameras ( 1080 on the older ), and can connect via phone when away.
Are they the best... no,... but they do the job for most situations.
Been running for over 3 yrs now with minor issues.

If you buy the older legacy systems ( Pro/Pro2 sets ) the cost is zero monthly with 7 days cloud recording. ( they record in 1080 )

PS... but dont just rely on cameras.... security should be like an onion with at least a few layers and a home security system is a must have first.

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
7,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Security cameras would be enough to protect a house.
I run about 16 Arlo cameras in and outside the home... these run off 2 base units that setup their own wifi for the cameras.
They work well, cost about $150 for the year with 30 days storage and 4k recordings on some of the better cameras ( 1080 on the older ), and can connect via phone when away.
Are they the best... no,... but they do the job for most situations.
Been running for over 3 yrs now with minor issues.

If you buy the older legacy systems ( Pro/Pro2 sets ) the cost is zero monthly with 7 days cloud recording. ( they record in 1080 )

PS... but dont just rely on cameras.... security should be like an onion with at least a few layers and a home security system is a must have first.
Thanks for the insights but the original post was made 4 years ago and that employee's security system was installed back then.
Gary

·
Registered
465 Posts
One of our staff is purchasing a new home and would like to install a standard, central station alarm system, which is no big deal, in today's world but she would, also, like to install a video system, plus 2-way audio system, not tied to the alarm system or alarm company, so she can speak with anyone who comes to the door, while also viewing that person, even if she isn't there, at the time. The a/v system needs to provide motion-detector-based video recording and, if possible, audio recording.

Does anyone have any experience with video and 2-way audio systems, be that good or bad? Which systems are recommended and which should be avoided?

Thanks.

Gary
Gary, look into LOREX. They have great packages that are reasonably priced, night vision, audio and an easy to use cellphone app. You can either purchase cameras that have a motorized variable widescreen ability, or a fixed screen view. I don't know the terms for what I just described. Make sure they are of the highest quality resolution. The company customer service will help.

Try to stay away from wireless systems if you want 24hr recording. The wired camera systems are better if you want to not worry about batteries in the cameras and a full, recorded history. I have this system and so far, like it very much.

·
Registered
935 Posts
My 2cents and experience,,,,

I have a Ring pro DB, and a full SDVR setup. I started with the ring and thought, might be a cool way to go. I have wifi all over my property via a few waps, so no biggy. Mount, run power, get Ring up anywhere I want.
After living with the Ring DB, I abandoned that idea and decided to go with replacing my existing/very old SDVR system (480dpi hardwired cam based) with something new.

My issues / experience with Ring...
The Ring DB is slow, and provides no pre-recording of an event. When it senses movement, is when it will record (and mine has missed recording event, or detecting them). On "real" SDVRs, you can enable buffer recording, you can specify how long the SDVR will record before and after a movement is detected (something even my old pro system did). So you can see what lead up to the event. This really does come in handy. I find Ring's motion detection can be tricked , by some slow movements (back on the day, with ultrasonic motion detectors [pre-IR days], we called it the ultrasonic shuffle, slow movement fouled them too), or if an event happened say 15seconds ago (I forget the time slice, maybe 10sec), it wont detected again for some time (this has come up on related forums, I've seen it on mine too with delivery people - not purposefully), but in the mean time it stopped recording from the first detected event. It's a hysteresis function, I get it, but its a flawed implementation.

Forget about trying to talk to someone at the door, if they rang the bell/motion detected, the system takes time to upload and record the event, while it's busy with that, you can not go live and talk to them, during the event the DB is unreponsive in the app till it's finished with it's housekeeping. Remember the Ring has to do everything through the its cloud services.
I've installed a dedicated WAP just for the Ring DB, 7ft away at most. Just to eliminate the wap and other clients sharing a wap as being part of latencies. So my Ring has no competition for BW on it's own WAP. My LAN is all fiberback bone, lots of big pipes. I have no issues with my POE SDVR cams.
Ring has holes in it's system I'm not caring for. Maybe a newer version of a Ring DB model has gotten better, but many issues are core to their infrastructure and idealism of design. So a no for me.
There have been reports on the related forums, of "Wifi jammers" being used to white out the Wireless Rings and such.
I haven't seen it myself, but for the forum members who posted their Ring Vids of the "jammed event". But I do count wireless cams as a security risk for many reasons.

The real SDVR systems, you can select to record only on motion detection, with the pre-record and post-record length added on too ( it will record for XX number of seconds after the motion as stopped being detected).
Or record all the time with logging the motion detected event video slices in the detected motions log.. which is what I do. So you don't have to scroll through hours of vid, just step through the log entries (with thumb nails of what triggered the detection,when clicked you get to see the clip).
Ring , has no provision for 24hr recording.

Cry once.
My first SDVR 8 hardwired cams, used that all up. Day of 480dpi cams. Had it for so long, even wore out a harddrive.
Ring DB comes into play, which way to go?? Decided, Not Ring...
My 2nd, SDVR was a network appliance, with all new IP cams, was capable of MAX 16 HD IP cams, throw some 4Ks in there and lower the capacity. Out grew that model SDVR for several reasons.
My 3rd, SDVR network appliance, is capable of 60+ IP cams , depends on the mix of cam resolutions. Far better choice and tons of other advantages. Performance far and above SDVR #2. And it was twice the price of my #2 SDVR. #3 and #2 are from the same Company, just different models. But #3 was not available when I purchased #2. Again, if you have the choice cry once. Good design, easy migration with export of configuration files. Carried over my cams and setup, so swapping over was easy peezy.

Spend the time pulling Cat6 cables, and with POE : no batteries / charging to deal with. No wifi coverage / signal strength issues. Far better robustness to any possible radiated susceptibility issues.
No dependency on WAN being up (as cloud base systems depend on such as Ring), for the system to keep working.
I never thought of the WAN / Internet as being a problem, till Covid.
Pre-covid , having the internet go down, was very rare. Covid, all the people working from home, really stressed the WAN network in my area, and we had a lot of outages at the get go. And now it's better, but still far more outages than we had before Covid / working from home.

For the SDVR system I have, I'm waiting for their latest version of their DB (POE/wired ethernet) to be in stock again (and I have the funds), and will finally be changing out Ring and dumping them.
My SDVR uses all hardwired POE cams (they have wifi cams models too), local recording, no monthly costs, just initial hardware outlay and a few days of running network cables and installing cams. If you have a basement and attic, it's not tough to do.

As mentioned above , security is a layered system. Windows , Doors, glass breaks, Motion, (if you have through the all A/C units or in the window units, take the time to trap or mag/switch them.)
I spent my younger years selling and installing systems for home and business. We have had attempted break ins thwarted due to trapping the A/C units. Got the thank you calls.
Dogs are great deterrents, but not full proof. Just another layer.
If it's your home and plan on staying for a good long while, go with a hardwired system. Again, if you have an attic and basement, it's not hard to run the wires. It's far more robust, no batteries to change out or charge..If your renting, or short stay, I get the advantages of a wireless based system, sure, go for it, and take it with you.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Will agree with above... the best way is a hard wired video system.
Wireless cameras ( and I run a bunch ) are good but they do have some issues.

Remember that most cameras will only be "activity" cameras. You'll know what happen and when but most likely NOT get an ID of the subject doing whatever.
"ID" cameras are zoomed into small areas just to get a good pic of the subject.

But always found that OVERT helps over COVERT.... not to mentioned motion lights and a good perimeter alarm system.

The best Arlo wireless camera IMO is one they discontinued... a Q camera which has a 3 second look back ( as it is ac powered and always recording ) from a triggered event AND uses pixel detection ( when picture changes it triggers recording ) not the normal PIR detection...

21 - 35 of 35 Posts