Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
7,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of our staff is purchasing a new home and would like to install a standard, central station alarm system, which is no big deal, in today's world but she would, also, like to install a video system, plus 2-way audio system, not tied to the alarm system or alarm company, so she can speak with anyone who comes to the door, while also viewing that person, even if she isn't there, at the time. The a/v system needs to provide motion-detector-based video recording and, if possible, audio recording.

Does anyone have any experience with video and 2-way audio systems, be that good or bad? Which systems are recommended and which should be avoided?

Thanks.

Gary

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
My son set up the Arlo system in our home that provides 24/7 video any of any of the cameras real-time and it also has a motion sensor on each camera that captures video and sends you a text message alert if the motion sensor is activated. If you receive an alert you can view a segment of video from the camera showing what triggered the alert on your cellphone. It's set-up through your home wifi and internet system.

I've seen the basic package (three cameras and Arlo router) anywhere from $350 ~ $450.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Listen, like everything in life, you get what you pay for. I had one of those zmodo camera systems and it was garbage. I have a Nightowl 720P system which is fine for seeing what's going one during the day, but the night vision and the hardware isn't the best.

I highly recommend the Ring Video Doorbell Pro. It's 1080P camera with motion and recording capability. You can talk with whoever comes to the door. Plus there is no bulky Hard drive to record to. For $30 a year, it records all your motioneven if you don't catch it in time.

If she wants a high quality camera system, tell her to look into 4K camera systems. While they are pricey, it is unlike anything else your going to find for a bargain price. My friend bought a system last year on BLack Friday and it was about $2000 for the system and I think 16 cameras. But let me let you, the video is insane. Even at night in the pitch black, you can still make out small details. No where near my 720P system.

Hope this helps

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
7,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use Zmodo wifi cameras. Easy to install, use USB power, connect to your router.

You can record 24/7 on your home PC, no need to pay any additional fees.

They are on Amazon, not expensive, saw them 4 for $100 recently.
My son set up the Arlo system in our home that provides 24/7 video any of any of the cameras real-time and it also has a motion sensor on each camera that captures video and sends you a text message alert if the motion sensor is activated. If you receive an alert you can view a segment of video from the camera showing what triggered the alert on your cellphone. It's set-up through your home wifi and internet system.

I've seen the basic package (three cameras and Arlo router) anywhere from $350 ~ $450.
Listen, like everything in life, you get what you pay for. I had one of those zmodo camera systems and it was garbage. I have a Nightowl 720P system which is fine for seeing what's going one during the day, but the night vision and the hardware isn't the best.

I highly recommend the Ring Video Doorbell Pro. It's 1080P camera with motion and recording capability. You can talk with whoever comes to the door. Plus there is no bulky Hard drive to record to. For $30 a year, it records all your motioneven if you don't catch it in time.

If she wants a high quality camera system, tell her to look into 4K camera systems. While they are pricey, it is unlike anything else your going to find for a bargain price. My friend bought a system last year on BLack Friday and it was about $2000 for the system and I think 16 cameras. But let me let you, the video is insane. Even at night in the pitch black, you can still make out small details. No where near my 720P system.

Hope this helps
Folks:

Thanks. I'll pass all of this along. If anyone else has some recs or "stay-away-froms," I'm sure she would also appreciate them.

Gary

·
Registered
987 Posts
Ring.com is about as easy as it gets. If you ring my doorbell, the app on my iPhone (and any other phone I have authorized) rings. I can answer the doorbell or simply see who's ringing. It also has motion detection and audio/video on demand.

I've had one for years. The device and Ring.com customer service is outstanding.

Check it out...

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
Ring.com is about as easy as it gets. If you ring my doorbell, the app on my iPhone (and any other phone I have authorized) rings. I can answer the doorbell or simply see who's ringing. It also has motion detection and audio/video on demand.

I've had one for years. The device and Ring.com customer service is outstanding.
Ring.com is better than nothing but I'd prefer seeing who is coming to the door or walking up my driveway whether they ring the doorbell or not. As soon as the motion detector is activated (within about 30 feet of the camera) the video starts and an alert is sent to your phone. The Arlo camera has a build in microphone and speaker so if you need to hear or speak to the person you can do that through your phone. I see when the mail is delivered, UPS or Fed-X show up and drop off a package, etc. And if someone I don't know walks up to "inspect" the package I can see that also and have a little chat with them.

·
Registered
NRA Instructor, RSO, NRA Lifetime and NYSRPA Member, Freeport R&R
132 Posts
Ring.com is excellent. I have it on my door, my neighbor has it on the floodlight over his driveway. He can yell at the kids when they kick a soccer ball at his car.

I have Livewatch Security. It is a monitored system. Has a great cell phone app. Lets you know when doors have been left open for too long, or if windows are left open. Livewatch is now Brinks Security. I know multiple people with the service. We are all very happy with it if you do decide to go monitored. Great piece of mind while on vacation, or at work with dogs at home. Monitored Carbon monoxide and Fire/Smoke detectors as well. All wireless system, very easy to install.

Lastly, if you want cameras in and out of the house. I have AMCREST WiFi cameras in the house to check in on the pets while away. Two way audio, pan/tilt zoom cameras for $80.

I had tried ZMODO cameras, worked for about a year. Then I invested in a LOREX system. Great equipment, great company support if you have questions, a friends has used their tech support extensively when he had trouble setting up the internet end of it. I personally had zero issues and have been very happy for 4 years.

any questions, feel free to private message, i'd be happy to advise..

·
Registered
987 Posts
Ring.com is better than nothing but I'd prefer seeing who is coming to the door or walking up my driveway whether they ring the doorbell or not. As soon as the motion detector is activated (within about 30 feet of the camera) the video starts and an alert is sent to your phone. The Arlo camera has a build in microphone and speaker so if you need to hear or speak to the person you can do that through your phone. I see when the mail is delivered, UPS or Fed-X show up and drop off a package, etc. And if someone I don't know walks up to "inspect" the package I can see that also and have a little chat with them.
Ring doorbell is activated by motion as well as the doorbell. You can decide whether or not motion alerts are sent to your phone. You can also set the sensitivity of the motion detection. Mine is set so that if you drive by my house, motion is activated and video is recorded. Ring.com also has live view on demand. I can view my camera and talk/listen by simply pressing a button on my phone.

What Ring.com does not do is record 24/7. For that, I would use Vivotek (not cheap though).

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
Ring doorbell is activated by motion as well as the doorbell. You can decide whether or not motion alerts are sent to your phone. You can also set the sensitivity of the motion detection. Mine is set so that if you drive by my house, motion is activated and video is recorded. Ring.com also has live view on demand. I can view my camera and talk/listen by simply pressing a button on my phone.

What Ring.com does not do is record 24/7. For that, I would use Vivotek (not cheap though).
Thanks for the clarification on the Ring features. I do like the record feature of Arlo since I can always go back to view the video related to an alert I may not have been able to respond to in real time and see what set of the alert.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Hope this helps
I installed a simple SkyBell doorbell camera. $100 or so If I remember. I can see who is there when the bell rings and communicate with them. You can set the motion also. It records and text you when activated. All from any mobile device. You can save the video, forward the video. You can also go live at anytime from your mobile device. Cheap to do and so far no issues. A shot from my front door via skybell

Attachments

·
Registered
8,375 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have an Arlo system as well as a wired Night Owl system for redundant coverage outdoors. The Arlo system is convenient to install since it is wire-free, however be prepared to go up on a ladder every few weeks to replace batteries especially for cameras that get alot of motion traffic. If you have the ability to run wires, I would stick with a good wired system of at least 1080p.

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
I do not believe that there is any limit to the number of cameras you can have on a single account.
When you say account, is there a monthly charge for using the system?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts