Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Okay guys so far I think I narrowed it down to a 1911 series firearm. Being on deployment, I'm okay with dropping some good coin for a quality 1911, that I really don't need to tinker with to make a it reliable. I know Rock Island makes great ones for the money, but I want to keep my money in America. So far I narrowed it down two three choices. The first one is the Colt M45A1 Production Model, not the Custom Shop one. Its in stock in a few places and on Gunbroker. Every review seems to be real positive about it and no MIM parts used on it as well. I do love the look of it, and I do like its the last military used 1911 thus far. The second choice is the Dan Wesson Valor. I heard this pistol is the Cats meow as well. I'd prefer the black one but its 300 bucks more then the stainless one. The third one is the Springfield TRP. All the major critics say its the best 1911 for the money, but digging on some of the 1911 forums guys are saying you could do better for the money you are spending on it. So I call all you 1911 experts on LIF what would you buy to start? I'm qualified with the M9 so DA/SA is no issue for me. My uncle had some 1911's I ran sadly it spoiled me since they were all high end 1911's the first one was a Ed Brown Kustom Carry and a Kimber Pro Covert II Commander.

·
#1 Grade A Super Stud
1,284 Posts
I have a m45a1. The production one. It is more like the issue gun than the custom shop version. I feel I paid $1600 for an $800 gun but I'm a jarhead and can't resist.

I found this funny review about it: http://rifleshooter.com/2015/06/colt-m45a1-review-usmc-pistol-review/

I had a couple trps and sold them. The dan wesson is nice but I would just buy the colt because it is a colt.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So your saying that the M45A1 isn't really worth the 1500+ price tag?

·
#1 Grade A Super Stud
1,284 Posts
So your saying that the M45A1 isn't really worth the 1500+ price tag?
Dude- you ever own a colt? Here's a hint- there is a reason they are always going out of business. I could have done a better job cerakoting my gun with an airbrush and a toaster oven. Seriously. They missed spots. But I didn't expect much from the company. I bought 5 colt 1911s over the past two months- mostly bc they say colt. I'd suggest you do the same. The m45a1 will hold it's value

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dude- you ever own a colt? Here's a hint- there is a reason they are always going out of business. I could have done a better job cerakoting my gun with an airbrush and a toaster oven. Seriously. They missed spots. But I didn't expect much from the company. I bought 5 colt 1911s over the past two months- mostly bc they say colt. I'd suggest you do the same. The m45a1 will hold it's value
This would be the first 1911 that I actually personally owned. I thought they are going bankrupt because they completely neglected the civilian market. But moving on, I've always heard the expression when it came to 1911's is "buy a colt". Trying to get educated here, 1500-1600 is my max price.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are there any .45's in US inventory? What I mean is which maker/model would be easiest for you to get fixed by an armorer?
MARSOC has M45A1's in inventory. If you are referring to a military armorer, all the ones I know wouldn't have a clue of how to fix or tweak a 1911 style pistol.

Reactions: NRATC53

·
#1 Grade A Super Stud
1,284 Posts
This would be the first 1911 that I actually personally owned. I thought they are going bankrupt because they completely neglected the civilian market. But moving on, I've always heard the expression when it came to 1911's is "buy a colt". Trying to get educated here, 1500-1600 is my max price.
Long term it is probably your best bet. The other 1911s I've sold all didn't hold their value as well. Colt is going out of business for a myriad of reasons- neglecting the civilian market is one of many.

Another optonn would be to buy whatever you carry at work and shoot that. I ran an m9 when I got out for a few years before I went Glock. I play with 1911s as a novelty.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I went with a kimber, for one reason theyre right here in yonkers

Reactions: Ramone and killian

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Hey BC, if you're using this as a personal sidearm also check out STI Tactical DS, Texas company, great guns, and the bonus is you'll have a lot more lead to throw at trouble. They have 2011 models that are basically wide body 1911's that can carry 10-14 rounds of .45.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Long term it is probably your best bet. The other 1911s I've sold all didn't hold their value as well. Colt is going out of business for a myriad of reasons- neglecting the civilian market is one of many.

Another optonn would be to buy whatever you carry at work and shoot that. I ran an m9 when I got out for a few years before I went Glock. I play with 1911s as a novelty.
Yeah 1911 for me would be the same, just a novelty and a collection piece. I don't plan on carrying a 1911. Like you I run M9, Not a huge fan of it, my big ape like hands don't seem to fit around the grip well. I guess if this sounds like a retarded reason, I have the money to spare right now for a nice 1911, and just thought might as well while I had it get a nice 1911. And Barnslayer that's not a bad call, but I prefer a new 1911, I'd feel guilty shooting the crap out of a USGI WW1-WW2 issue one.

Reactions: NRATC53

·
#1 Grade A Super Stud
1,284 Posts
MARSOC has M45A1's in inventory. If you are referring to a military armorer, all the ones I know wouldn't have a clue of how to fix or tweak a 1911 style pistol.
They are getting pushed out to base SRT teams that PMO runs. MARSOC was approved for Glock 19s a few months ago.

·
#1 Grade A Super Stud
1,284 Posts
Yeah 1911 for me would be the same, just a novelty and a collection piece. I don't plan on carrying a 1911. Like you I run M9, Not a huge fan of it, my big ape like hands don't seem to fit around the grip well. I guess if this sounds like a retarded reason, I have the money to spare right now for a nice 1911, and just thought might as well while I had it get a nice 1911. And Barnslayer that's not a bad call, but I prefer a new 1911, I'd feel guilty shooting the crap out of a USGI WW1-WW2 issue one.
I'm still not a fan of mine but held onto it for sentimental reasons- it's like finding your old baseball glove.

I would buy the colt and enjoy it. It is pretty cool. I leave mine in the box so the finish doesn't get tool beat up.

·
#1 Grade A Super Stud
1,284 Posts
Another option would be to build an m45. You can still buy all the parts from the last version the pws made. Hire a guy to build the gun. It will cost a few bucks more but it would be cool. I'm doing that now. Caspian will make you a frame with the next marine corps serial number in line. Plus- since you'll be buying parts from all over the place you won't be dropping a pile of money all at once.

Caspian gives one of the best mil discounts in the business.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you've got big hands you might want to think about the CZ 97 (.45 @ 10+1).
Looking into a 1911, but will look into it. Every 1911 I've shot or handled I did enjoy. Thanks for the advice Sarge, still got a few more weeks in the sandbox, just trying to figure out what I want.

·
#1 Grade A Super Stud
1,284 Posts
Looking into a 1911, but will look into it. Every 1911 I've shot or handled I did enjoy. Thanks for the advice Sarge, still got a few more weeks in the sandbox, just trying to figure out what I want.
I used to do the same thing. I would buy awesome stuff when I got back. Enjoy it. You earned it.

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
I'm far from very knowledgeable on 1911's, but I own a few including a couple of Para's, Colt, Kimber, Springfield and two Sigs. I think the Sig Fastback Carry Nightmare is my favorite....although not really American.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.