Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Bocce & Bullets - Booyah!
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something tragic was discovered last night in someones house who is very near to me. Her tenant unfortunately took his life (gun) in her second floor apartment.

She was up all night with the police and the apartment is sealed until the family finalizes the surrogate court process. She is obviously distraught and I'd like to help as best I can by taking this off her plate.

The officer in charge told her she needs to hire a professional service to clean the area but did not make recommendations. I will start the google process myself but thought I would see if there is LEO or
anyone else who could offer advice.

I am heading over there shortly to be with her so I probably will not be posting today but will check periodically. I thank you...

I knew the deceased, not well but knew him and hope his soul is at peace....

·
Registered
527 Posts
Sorry to hear of this tragedy, and what your friend is going through. Not sure where you're located; I know of one PO who also owns a ServPro franchise, but he's out east. When things calm down, and there is time to deal with mundane stuff like costs, if tenant had renter's insurance they may cover cost of cleanup/restoration; I found it is VERY important to read the details of anything these emergency response companies ask you to sign. Guys from a no-name company who came to handle emergency water cleanup after a burst pipe at my home wanted me to sign a piece of paper that on the back appointed them the SOLE agent authorized to file for any insurance claim, receive and disburse all funds, and totally control all construction and replacement of any damaged property - a FAR cry from just an emergency water cleanup! First priority is to deal with the immediate metal trauma; don't let the cleanup process create more stress.

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
I believe Serv Pro is typically who is called in for this sort of thing. Very odd that the cops/coroners office didn't have a recommendation.

Sorry for your friend. Terrible thing to have to deal with.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
The woman's homeowners insurance will have a company to call. Her insurance doesn't cover his personal belongings, but it should cover the home, which is what needs to be cleaned.

Reactions: nybocce

·
Banned
6,368 Posts
My friend used Biotech Recovery out of Coram after his wife gave birth in the front seat of their truck. He was very happy with them. They still have the truck 5 years later.

I am sorry for your loss.

Reactions: nybocce

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
That's real selfish. Wow. God forbid the bullet traveled into your friends home. Suicide is for the weak
Wow. smh...

OP, if she can, have the service get in as soon as possible. The mess isn't something you want waiting for a few weeks. Odors, fluids etc dink in, permeate and can be profoundly difficult to remove. Generally once the investigation is done and Crime Scene has left the services can get in.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.