Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine asked me to help him "dispose" of two guns his dad had; a 22 and a shotgun.

What is the law concerning the transfer or sale of these? Can he just seek out an FFL and have them sold?

I have to be honest. I'm looking for a 22 for my daughter, so if I like either or both, I'll probably make him an offer on them.

Thanks.

·
Avoiding the ban hammer!
17,259 Posts
If they are legal to own and assuming they are in NY, he can simply take them to a FFL, transfer to you and you do a 4473.

If they are not legal in NY, I'm not 100% but they might have to be sold out of state via FFL

Please make sure they are unloaded prior to bringing to FFL and please use a case so you are not carrying a rifle/shotgun in the open into the store

·
Avoiding the ban hammer!
17,259 Posts
Sorry for your loss. If the guns were bought prior to the safe act,I would just dispose of them in my closet or gun safe.
That would be illegal!

No one should give out that info. If they were purchased orior to the safe act, then there is no record of him possibly selling to someone prior to the safe act cause face to face sales were legal without needing a FFL. I would do this but I am not a smart man

Do not give out illegal advice!

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
That would be illegal!

No one should give out that info. If they were purchased orior to the safe act, then there is no record of him possibly selling to someone prior to the safe act cause face to face sales were legal without needing a FFL. I would do this but I am not a smart man

Do not give out illegal advice!
Ohh that's not advice, it's just what I would do. But I don't know anyone who would want to give me a gun, so no one has to worry about that. Maybe I should have used this
face instead of

·
Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
This is a perfect example of the insanity of the safe act.
PITA for citizens where it would be so easy to just sell them or give them like before the SAFE Act.
No one would ever know. Even if someone wanted a receipt all a dishoest noncomplying person would have to do is just make a receipt dated prior to the safe act. Like November 10 2012 or something and nobody would ever know.Ever.
Just to show hoe useless SAFE is.

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
Sad that NY is a place where a grieving family member has to contend with so much unreasonable (illegal?) and often contradictory or confusing regulation. Easier to transfer a car than an old .22 for someone not versed in this crap.
Condolences to your friend.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info and advice. I'll be taking a look at the guns this week and we'll go from there. The 22 is "old" and was used to rid the world of tree rats. I have no idea where they were originally bought, but I think his dad lived in Jersey. This was in stuff they emptied from his house.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.