Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am in the market for a new bolt action rifle. I already decided its going to be a Weatherby, just haven't decided the caliber. I already own a few 3006's so I'm not interested in buying another. It's between 270 win, 7mm-08 Rem, 308, 270 WSM and or 7mm Rem Mag. I will be hunting mostly big game but like most of us NY hunters primarily deer/bear. With that being said I just can't decide on which caliber to go with. Iv done a bit of online reading and Iv come across lots of positives and a few negatives on each (not many negatives to be honest). Im looking forward to hear what you gents have to say, any recommendations with reason are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
III%
2,787 Posts
The only one in that group that I don't own is the 7mm-08, but as for the rest of them , I don't have a complaint with any. My favorite most accurate,  and my all around choice for medium game is the. 270

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would say .308 cause I love that round on paper. but the .270 has better velocity which is great for hunting and if its good enough for Jack O'Conner its good enough for me. I dont know much about the 7mm family.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Iv been leaning most towards the 308 and the 270 as well. Something keeps telling me to go with the 308 though more and more i read and listen people have nothing but great things to say about the 270.

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
I can't honestly sit here and tell you the differences between all those listed but, I will say this.

I have a 270 Win and I'm happy with it's performance. Dropped a deer effortlessly.

·
Sharp Shooter!
469 Posts
I have an a-bolt in 270 wsm and I love it. Dropped a big 7 pointer last yr. I shoot the 140 grain fail safes. It is my most accurate gun. I also shot 2 black bears and a wolf in Canada with it. Every Year i shoot 3 shots at the range with and put it away it is always dead on balls accurate. Plus it has the boss muzzle break and there is no kick to it.  Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Sharp Shooter!
446 Posts
I personally like the .308 the best, awesome on paper, enough to take down most game, alot of ammo choices. but considering you own a few 30-06's i would go for a .270win.

·
Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.
12,115 Posts
How about a bolt gun chambered for the 7.62 AK caliber??

Mild recoiling, more than capable as a deer stopper, and with surplus ammo, you can certainly plink on the cheap.

·
Puppy Training
1,381 Posts
You already own 06's go with the short action 308 you'll love it. Plenty of power and the short cycling of the bolt is a new and nice touch. You won't regred it.

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,073 Posts
Do you reload?  If not stick to the common standard calibers that are the most discounted (30-06, .308, 30-30, ..270, .243 )  Any magnum calibers are gonna cost you $34+ a box.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
They are all good calibers and will all take medium size game ( Deer Bear Caribou).  In my opinion two calibers stand out from the rest. Either the 270 or the 308 would at the top of the list. The others are all good choices but the ammo for these two calibers is readily available anywhere including walmart. They are both accurate and flat shooting and are capable of shooting multiple weight bullets that can offer you a bigger variety of choices. The 270 has slightly better numbers as far as long distance shooting speed and acuracy. ( Very important when shooting out west or up in the northern tundra but not as important in most NY shooting situations.   The fact that you already own a 3006 then seems to take care of your 30 cal needs since the 308 is basically the same bullet scaled down to fit a short action receiver. So with that being said and since you state that its Deer size game your planning on using the gun on my choice would be the 270.      I like your choice of a weatherby too. I own a weatherby vangard in 270 which has cleanly taken taken whitetail, Mule deer, black bear, antelope,caribou, coyotes  and moose with it. It tore up the coyotes and was on the smaller side on the moose but everything else dropped fast and clean with that bullet.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
7m08 is a great choice i have it in a remington 788 with a 18 1/2 barrel it drives tacks with very
little recoil it would be a perfct deer blackbear gun in the vangaurd :)

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would be buying the Weatherby Mark V Accumark, I already have a few in larger calibers and it is by far the most amazing and accurate rifle I have ever owned. Also a friend of mine wants to sell me his new Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC in 308, 1:10 twist, 20 inch barrel. Weight is about the same as the Accumark. Though it's a "tactical" model I feel with the right optic it could be a great hunting rifle... Any thoughts?

If I picked up the AAC I'd obviously by the Accumark in a different caliber

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I have a weatherby vanguard in 3006 great rifle also had a mark 5 years ago, if your using it as a hunting rifle you
may want to go with something lighter with a shorter barrel for upstate remington model 7 or check out the cz line of
rifles i have a cz 527 very accurate but thats a 223 they make a few models in 308 708 and 243 all short
action. I hunted deer upstate for years with a 243 and never lost one ,that round is also a pleasure to shoot from the bench.

·
Registered
241 Posts
grifhunter said:
Do you reload? If not stick to the common standard calibers that are the most discounted (30-06, .308, 30-30, ..270, .243 ) Any magnum calibers are gonna cost you $34+ a box.
On another note if he reloads and ends up with a .308 the same equipment will go in both rounds

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have reloaded in the past, but I don't anymore. As for a short barreled rifle, I mentioned up above I have a friend looking to sell me a Remington SPS Tactical AAC, 308, 1:10 twist, 20 inch barrel. Though its a tac model it could be a great hunting rifle!

·
Winter is coming
3,569 Posts
oldtimer said:
They are all good calibers and will all take medium size game ( Deer Bear Caribou). In my opinion two calibers stand out from the rest. Either the 270 or the 308 would at the top of the list. The others are all good choices but the ammo for these two calibers is readily available anywhere including walmart. They are both accurate and flat shooting and are capable of shooting multiple weight bullets that can offer you a bigger variety of choices. The 270 has slightly better numbers as far as long distance shooting speed and acuracy. ( Very important when shooting out west or up in the northern tundra but not as important in most NY shooting situations. The fact that you already own a 3006 then seems to take care of your 30 cal needs since the 308 is basically the same bullet scaled down to fit a short action receiver. So with that being said and since you state that its Deer size game your planning on using the gun on my choice would be the 270. I like your choice of a weatherby too. I own a weatherby vangard in 270 which has cleanly taken taken whitetail, Mule deer, black bear, antelope,caribou, coyotes and moose with it. It tore up the coyotes and was on the smaller side on the moose but everything else dropped fast and clean with that bullet.
I'd agree with this here. With a couple of 06's, the .270 gives you a much different shooter. I bought a Ruger Scout this year, and have to say I like the .308 a lot. The short action is nice, especially if your used to that long sroke of the 06. Its a good NY caliber for ranges you usually see. If you have more open terrain, you might want to lean more to the .270 though. Either way, you can't go wrong.
I have a Vanguard too, it's been my deer gun for years.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.