Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason I'm in the mood to read a book. Haven't read a book since Harry Potter so my attention span is minimal. Want something interesting and firearms related. Thinking in the war area. Any suggestiona

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,232 Posts
Reading? That sounds like work.

Download (for free) and listen to, Dan Carlin's Hardcode History podcast. He has a 6 part series titled "Blueprint for Armageddon."

It is a ~20 hour long detailed description World War One. I just finished part 5. The whole thing is absolutely mind blowing.

· Black Robe Regiment Immigration without assimilati
8,064 Posts
I'm reading this book now: http://www.amazon.co...ords=bonhoeffer

Without giving to much away, it takes place in Germany between the years 1906-1943 and Chronicles the life of a resistance fighter who confronts Hitler and his hatred. I'm finding a lot of parallels to today.

Reactions: trapshooterbob

· Registered
5,526 Posts
Gun/2A novel
Unintended Consequences - John Ross

Survival/Apocalypse novels
One Second After - William R. Forstchen
Lights Out - David Crawford
Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse - James Rawles

Fun novel if you are into 80's pop history / videogames
Ready Player One - Ernest Cline (I just read this and it is just a fun read if you are into or remember 80's pop trivia and video games.)

· Registered
554 Posts

· Registered
554 Posts

· Gun guru (poseur)
6,135 Posts
Harry Potter and guns? That sounds like a potential Larry Correia fan to me!

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Hunter-International-Hunters-Book-ebook/dp/B00APAH7PQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1436977291&sr=1-1&keywords=monster+hunter+international

Welcome to Monster Hunter International.

Five days after Owen Zastava Pitt pushed his insufferable boss out of a fourteenth story window, he woke up in the hospital with a scarred face, an unbelievable memory, and a job offer.

Note that the "insufferable boss" had turned out to be a werewolf. Anyway, Correia used to own a machine gun store, so he does get the gun stuff right.

· Gun guru (poseur)
6,135 Posts
Harry Potter and guns? That sounds like a potential Larry Correia fan to me!

http://www.amazon.co...r international

Welcome to Monster Hunter International.

Five days after Owen Zastava Pitt pushed his insufferable boss out of a fourteenth story window, he woke up in the hospital with a scarred face, an unbelievable memory, and a job offer.

Note that the "insufferable boss" had turned out to be a werewolf. Anyway, Correia used to own a machine gun store, so he does get the gun stuff right.
Even better, the publisher gives you the first book for free

http://www.baenebook...r-international

Also, before I forget, he has a second series set in a magic 1930s. As he'd written several books by the time he wrote Hard Magic I think it is book for book a stronger series. So kind of think about a depression era X-Men with an evil Japanese warlord while dodging the racist forces of FDR who wants to round up people into camps. Our heroes are lead by folks such as Black Jack Pershing and John Moses Browning. It's a terrific read.

http://www.amazon.com/Hard-Magic-Book-Grimnoir-Chronicles-ebook/dp/B00APAHLMA/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1436977770&sr=1-1&keywords=hard+magic

· Registered
1,770 Posts
I've always liked Stephen R. Donaldson, anything by him. Thomas Covenant & GAP series won't steer you wrong if you like that sort of thing.

Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card. Go Dragons.

Destroyermen by Taylor Anderson looks good too I started but never got around to finishing. Its about a WW II destroyer that gets sent to an alternate earth and becomes the most powerful ship in the world. Except for the Yamato, which also came along.

Speaking of alternate earths, there's always Harry Turtledove's Worldwar series. Alien invasion right in the middle of WW II. They plop right between the Russians and Germans, see that the natives (us) are fighting, and attack in both directions. All countries are forced to unite, sort of, to deal with the aliens.

Rama series by Arthur C. Clark.

Anything by Heinlein, as in Robert Heinlein. Starship Troopers, Puppet Masters, Childhood's End. All good stuff. If you read Starship Troopers, also read the Forever War for a contrast.

· Gun guru (poseur)
6,135 Posts
I've always liked Stephen R. Donaldson, anything by him. Thomas Covenant & GAP series won't steer you wrong if you like that sort of thing.

Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card. Go Dragons.

Destroyermen by Taylor Anderson looks good too I started but never got around to finishing. Its about a WW II destroyer that gets sent to an alternate earth and becomes the most powerful ship in the world. Except for the Yamato, which also came along.

Speaking of alternate earths, there's always Harry Turtledove's Worldwar series. Alien invasion right in the middle of WW II. They plop right between the Russians and Germans, see that the natives (us) are fighting, and attack in both directions. All countries are forced to unite, sort of, to deal with the aliens.

Rama series by Arthur C. Clark.

Anything by Heinlein, as in Robert Heinlein. Starship Troopers, Puppet Masters, Childhood's End. All good stuff. If you read Starship Troopers, also read the Forever War for a contrast.
I've found Donaldson hit or miss, and it tends to take him a novel to get going. That said, the first Covenant trilogy is amazing

Enders Game is amazing, and annoys the SJW crowd so bonus.

You should pick up Destroyermen again. I think it gets a lot stronger as it goes on. As much as I enjoyed the first few books, they did kind of rely on "Good is dumb" to power the plot. He gets better than that as he goes along.

Heinlein goes without saying. IMHO "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" ought to be mandatory reading.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.