Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

· Registered
15,344 Posts
The moose should have had its blinkers on.

No the moose did not need to be shot - guy should have waited until he got off of the trail.

· Now an Ex NYer
24,979 Posts
Moose are dumb as rocks. This guy made enough noises and gestures to incite the moose, then after it went after him, he shot it. I've encountered moose in the field, never a problem unless I wanted one. Their trail too

Reactions: Lovemyglock

· Black Robe Regiment Immigration without assimilati
8,064 Posts

Yummy.....

Seriously, this video was shown and discussed here before. The consensus was that the snowmobiler was a "Richard".

· Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Ten things wrong with that. I'd lock that guy up. He didn't even finish the job.
Hunting season or not, you don't hunt moose with a glock. He and his buddy could have walked over to the side in the tree line and let the moose pass by. The moose was using the smooth trail, perfectly normal behavior for the animal. Pull over and let him pass.

· Registered
7,861 Posts
Ten things wrong with that. I'd lock that guy up. He didn't even finish the job.
Hunting season or not, you don't hunt moose with a glock. He and his buddy could have walked over to the side in the tree line and let the moose pass by. The moose was using the smooth trail, perfectly normal behavior for the animal. Pull over and let him pass.
Couple things. Seems after the shoot he drove down the trail to the clearing and turned around to make sure the other machine was behind him. Could have been a wife, his kid or whatever but likely wanted them both clear out of the danger area. I'm guessing he went back to finish it.
He wasn't hunting moose with a Glock, he used it in what he perceived a self defense situation.
If that were me, the moose attacked once already, I'm not getting off my machine into high snow on foot to deal with a pissed off bull winkle who show its intent already. I can out run a moose on grass let alone knee high snow. I also don't see a lot of room to move over to let a worked up moose pass on by and thank the two riders with sharp hooves to the throat. Many people have been killed by moose.

· Registered
1,935 Posts
It could have been handled differently, no need to approach moose as soon as he did, they are pretty stupid creatures sometimes it takes a while for them to get the jist of wtf they should do it felt threatened and charged him, he felt threatened and shot it,you guys would feel different if it was a long necked wild beast from the dark continent imho.

· Premium Member
2,277 Posts
I have a serious question. And I'm glossing over how they came to encounter each other except to note that the moose and snowmobile appear to be heading towards each other from the fist instance in the video. Before I ask the question, I ask that we have the discussion civilly, without emotional responses or name calling. The instant this discussion devolves, I'll check out.

Here is the question: For those advocating for the moose, what would it have taken for you to consider this a good shoot? Put differently, at what point would you have considered you own life in danger?

Full disclosure: The glaring mistake I see was carrying an empty gun.

Reactions: nymet100

· Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
Couple things. Seems after the shoot he drove down the trail to the clearing and turned around to make sure the other machine was behind him. Could have been a wife, his kid or whatever but likely wanted them both clear out of the danger area. I'm guessing he went back to finish it.
He wasn't hunting moose with a Glock, he used it in what he perceived a self defense situation.
If that were me, the moose attacked once already, I'm not getting off my machine into high snow on foot to deal with a pissed off bull winkle who show its intent already. I can out run a moose on grass let alone knee high snow. I also don't see a lot of room to move over to let a worked up moose pass on by and thank the two riders with sharp hooves to the throat. Many people have been killed by moose.
You make a lot of guesses in this guys favor.
All we have to go by is the video that the idiot posted online, basically bragging about his prowess IMO. Why else post it?
If I did it I'd be ashamed.
It's not like it was a giraffe.

You realize that the snowmobile guy saw the moose at a good distance away and stopped.
The moose was in the woods where it belonged.
The guy wanted to go snowmobiling and the moose was in his way so he tried to scare it off.
Bullwinklepoop!
He should have waited or turned around and went away. Or he could have simply taken the trail that was right on his left when he first stopped!.
Watch the video again. When he first stops there is a trail to his left.
If the guy as you are supposing had his wife or kid behind him he's even a bigger douche for going head to head with the moose.
He caused the problem and I'm pretty sure if a fish & game officer saw this he would have been arrested.
He's an asswipe and I hope he hits a big tree doing 60 with his snowmobile

· Premium Member
11,465 Posts
Female mosses a tack more people the male so this one may have been being tutorial so it up the the Econ officer to make the call.

· Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
I have a serious question. And I'm glossing over how they came to encounter each other except to note that the moose and snowmobile appear to be heading towards each other from the fist instance in the video. Before I ask the question, I ask that we have the discussion civilly, without emotional responses or name calling. The instant this discussion devolves, I'll check out.

Here is the question: For those advocating for the moose, what would it have taken for you to consider this a good shoot? Put differently, at what point would you have considered you own life in danger?

Full disclosure: The glaring mistake I see was carrying an empty gun.
The problem with the shoot is he had plenty of distance and options other than to charge the moose. It's very clear.
If he had been snowmobiling and came around a bend and the moose was there and attacked it would be a different story.
But he chose the encounter rather than lose his fun.
That's inexcusable to me.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.