Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-I have read the law, the Nassau County Handbook and countless on line articles. I am going to be as specific as I can in my questions.

-I am not law enforcement (20+ years in the military which is not relevant in NY). I have a NASSAU Target/Hunting Permit and non-resident CCWs permits from FL and PA.

-Looking to fly out of a NYC airport and would like to bring my weapon when flying to a jurisdiction where I either have a CCW or to a jurisdiction where there is reciprocity with my non resident CCW.

-Understanding that unloaded weapon and ammunition have to be in checked luggage and in TSA compliant separate locked boxes. I also understand that the weapon and ammunition should be in separate locked boxes in my luggage when traveling from Nassau to the airport.

-Has anyone travelled in a manner similar to the one described above? I do not want to risk an arrest which would be a career ender; at the same time if it is legal to do I do not want to forgo the ability to travel with my handgun if I chose to do so.

If anyone is going to suggest mailing it to yourself- the Nassau Handbook specifically states that you must ship using an FFL. Thank you

·
Registered
206 Posts
Since your permit is not valid in NYC I'd call the Port Authority PD just to confirm the proper protocol. I flew out of JFK with 2 rifles and it was a PITA. Landing and departing from Denver & Salt Lake City was very easy and didn't raise an eyebrow. People there were more interested in your hunting stories.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Following this too as I MIGHT have to fly to a seedy area of Florida and would like to bring a firearm.

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
6,404 Posts
You cannot put it in your carry-on luggage. It must be in a locked, hard case, going into the regular baggage and, if my memory serves, it must be locked with an NTSB-approved lock. Memory also says that it must be marked, as to contents but that may have changed. it's been a long time, since I had to do that dance. Go to Transporting Firearms and Ammunition | Transportation Security Administration and Air Travel with Guns | Packing, Locks, Cases, and TSA Security Checks, for more details.
Gary

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, I will check those sites. For everyone else reading, remember that TSA gives you the rules for how to properly secure and check your weapon and ammunition. Following TSA guidelines has no consequence regarding NY State and NYC laws.

My question is simply about the Port Authority Police and the Queens County District Attorney’s Office which has prosecutorial jurisdiction over gun arrests in NYC airports.

My understanding of the law is that I should be allowed to transport a weapon from where I am legally allowed to possess to another State where I am also legally allowed to posses it. That being said I should be able to for example:
-with a Nassau Target/Hunting Permit and a FL CCW permit be able to drive to JFK with two locked boxes, one containing ammunition and one the handgun
-check my luggage with the locked boxes after disclosing at check in and having the PAPD check the weapon
-Pick up the weapons once I land in FL
- I use FL as an example but it applies to any jurisdiction where my non resident CCW has reciprocity.

Again thank you all for your replies and please let me know if anyone has followed the above steps and whether I should be concerned.

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
6,404 Posts
Yes, based on federal law, you are correct. Unfortunately, NYC ignores that, when it's convenient or when they have an agenda or a politician, which needs publicity, to make that agenda or politician seem needed.
Gary

·
Registered
11,502 Posts
The Queens DA gives a plea deal to non NY pistol license holders. For any NY resident wishing to travel with firearms. You must declare it and wait for law enforcement to check the firearm and ID. It’s rather easy if you have everything in order. Guns unloaded ammunition stored in a separate locked box. The Port Authority Cops don’t know the Rules placed on you by the issuing county that you are not allowed to travel outside the state with a pistol etc.

·
Registered
11,563 Posts
So much bad info so far... OP if you searched, you'd fi d several threads about traveling.
1) gun case must NOT BE TSA compliant... the luggage that the gun case in inside must be a TSA lock (a rifle case again MUST NOT be a TSA lock.
TSA is not to be opening your firearm case without you present.
2) NO MARKINGS indicating guns inside.

3) Ammunition is NOT required to be in a locked container (beyond the locked suitcase)

4)ARRIVE EARLY. go to the special services desk to check in, tell the agent you need to "Declare a Firearm". They will contact PAPD - whi will come check your license, serial numbers. And unloaded. Agent fills out a red card to go in your case

Enjoy your trip.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. One comment: you are correct regarding the TSA rules for transporting the handgun and ammunition, however, since you are traveling through NYC while in transit in the car/taxi the ammunition and handgun must be in separate locked boxes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts