Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a split off of another forum thread.

Got my permit recently.
I have visited a few dealers lately and an having trouble finding one who stocks well and is customer-service strong.
Some are very customer friendly, but small and thin on inventory.
Others are large and it feels like a puppy-mill.
Since i am just getting to know these folks, who would you recommend for the best overall mix of inventory, customer-service, and value?
I tend to favor North Shore and mid-shore since I am from the North Shore (Port Washington area) but am open-minded to travelling further.
I want to find someone that i feel really good about giving my dollars to.
Thanks for your thoughts. Please be specific, if you can, about whay the strengths and weaknesses are.
Pistolier.

·
The Artist formally known as AR_Guy
6,913 Posts
Coliseum Gun Traders in Uniondale will have almost everything in stock. And Andy is the best on customer support should you have any issues.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Andy at Coliseum or Mark at Hunter Sports.....................Good luck

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Southshore, Collesium, and Campsite in Huntington (rt 110 about 10 minutes north of Jericho) all have good selections. Campsite can be very busy. Some how everytime I go into Southshore it's nice and quiet.

Closer to you, Collectors (Jericho Tpke and Willis Ave) and Britts (Mineola train station) are smaller, quieter, but not a lot of selection.

Good luck picking something! I need to go get a purchase document to pick up my next tool.

-Vick

·
Banned
2,404 Posts
Campsite!
Otherwise, I buy my stuff from dealers I know in Virginia.

·
moved to greener pastures
10,857 Posts
Opinions are like, err, front doors. Everyone has one.
I can only offer up on those I have experience with. If it's not here, then I haven't dealt with them or I don't want to spit.
In Nassau only: Tie between South Shore Sportsman and Hunter Essentials on the whole customer experience. SSS has a LOT more stock in pistols. You're much closer to Hunters Essentials and if you can't feel good about dealing with Bruce then your feel good sensors are broken.
Hunter Sports is also good, though do your homework first. Lots of it.
I keep trying to leave money at Colliseum and keep getting driven out by abismal customer service, but they have a nice stock of 1911's if that's your fancy. Avoid the in house , ahem, gunsmith as you would Ebola.
If you want to venture 10 minutes over the Nassau line into Suffolk, Campsite is a class outfit. Smaller selection but knowledgeable and decent guys. Always a pleasure to stop in there.
For what it's worth.

·
Assault is a behavior; Not a weapon.
12,115 Posts
SydneyH said:
Campsite!
Otherwise, I buy my stuff from dealers I know in Virginia.
So let's see if I get this all straight.

1- You buy a cheap AR7 at South Shore.
2- After it jams (like they are prone to) you return it to South Shore.
3- Even though Mike is now stuck with a used gun, (and its faults aren't his responsibility) he accepts it back and gives you a full refund. {Probably the best customer service I've ever heard of}
4- O-P asks for a good dealer in Nassau, and you feel compelled to recommend a Suffolk dealer in lieu of a Nassau gun shop??

Interesting. And, at the same time, very telling.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
South Shore Sportsman or Hunter Essentials. You'll understand after you go to either. I've never met nicer guys and I've been in the sport for over 20 years. JMO

·
Banned
1,468 Posts
T.Webb said:

3- Even though Mike is now stuck with a used gun, (and its faults aren't his responsibility) he accepts it back and gives you a full refund. {Probably the best customer service I've ever heard of}
4- O-P asks for a good dealer in Nassau, and you feel compelled to recommend a Suffolk dealer in lieu of a Nassau gun shop??

My friend bought a new Remington 11-87 from Edelmans back in the early 90's.The gun was prone to jams.He returned it and got a refund and purchased a gun from Sports Authority.He certainly is a tough customer.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
lonewolf5347 said:
Campsite in Huntington ask for Shawn
Although I haven't bought anything from them yet, I call campsite
today and spoke with Shawn about ordering an Arsenal Ak, and I'll
tell you that he couldn't have been more personable on the phone.
I will def make the drive from Port Jeff to Huntington
to do my next purchase with them. I've only read great reviews from them.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
T.Webb said:

oh snap!!

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I live in Centereach and make the trip to SSS any time I make a purchase.  They are very knowledgable and friendly to newbies. Will be going back this summer to add to the collection.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.