Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
airbrushart
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nassau county is re setting red light cameras to NY standing stop of 3 seconds, most were not set for a standing stop of 3 seconds, so if like most people do you stop for a second you will get a ticket, bottom of ticket says how long you came to a complete stop.

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
You still should be able to fight the ticket. I belive that in the traffic law it does not state that you have to wait 3 sec then continue. All it says is stop forward motion then continue. So as long as you stop then go you are following the law. Would love to see someone sue and win about this. Those cameras are not for safety,just to make money.

·
Banned
949 Posts
You can try and fight the ticket, but there is a 99% chance you are NOT going to win. These are "administrative codes" that are being issued and not a "Vehicle and Traffic Law" violation. A vehicle and traffic law violation has to be issued to a person, an administrative code does not.

You still should be able to fight the ticket. I belive that in the traffic law it does not state that you have to wait 3 sec then continue. All it says is stop forward motion then continue. So as long as you stop then go you are following the law. Would love to see someone sue and win about this. Those cameras are not for safety,just to make money.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
realx as soon as the revenue stream slows down they will set it to 5 sec.

Nassau county:"we can do this all day people so pay up suckas!"

People:"yes sir"
Nope they will just install more

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I don't understand the OP. A stop of 3 seconds? Don't you need to stop for as long as the light is red?

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
I've seen more accident at "Red Light" camera intersections then safe driving. People are speeding up to pass the camera or stopping short not to pass the red light and crashing into or being rearended. All in the "name of safety"...

·
Banned
4,005 Posts
I've seen more accident at "Red Light" camera intersections then safe driving. People are speeding up to pass the camera or stopping short not to pass the red light and crashing into or being rearended. All in the "name of safety"...
This. And the seizure inducing flashes at night.

·
airbrushart
5,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Was reading at citydata.com forum that this is a problem on Old Country Rd in Hicksville and Old Country Rd by Rossevelt Field, also after researching the NY laws regarding found this: after a complete stop of 3 seconds you may proceed to turn on red where legal, I know I stopped for 1.4 seconds, also verified this information with 2 different Nassau police officers, so let my error alert others in the county.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Was reading at citydata.com forum that this is a problem on Old Country Rd in Hicksville and Old Country Rd by Rossevelt Field, also after researching the NY laws regarding found this: after a complete stop of 3 seconds you may proceed to turn on red where legal, I know I stopped for 1.4 seconds, also verified this information with 2 different Nassau police officers, so let my error alert others in the county.
I just looked through the entire VTL and there is nothing about a 3 second stop. The requirement is to stop forward motion, no more. Fight the ticket, and furthermore someone should make a stink about this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts