Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know that everyone here loves Camp Site, so on that recommendation I stopped in last week.

There was actually a shotgun I wanted to take a look at.

One of the employees was standing at that counter. Shooting the breeze about plumbing or something.

I tried for several minutes to get his attention.

Then I tried for several more minutes to get ANYONES attention.

Then I walked out, bankroll intact.

Never to return.

YMMV. My experience was not favorable.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
When I have been there in the past I usually had to wait a bit. However, once I had there attention the service was very good. I also felt like this shop would take of any problems with my purchase if the situation arose.

I can't blame you for being annoyed though. Standing in front of a sales counter waiting to make a purchase with no acknowledgment is rude.

·
Banned
1,468 Posts
My friend was in the shop last Friday and it was busy.He did have to wait a bit but was happy with the service.He said that the salesman did his best to answer any questions.Business has picked up since the Nassau debacle.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
yea, have to agree it's a bit chaotic there.  I was buying my second handgun in as many months.  All during my sale, filling out paperwork, etc another customer kept interrupting to "shoot the breeze," talk about pre-ban magazines, ask about the Nassau County shops...  I felt a little neglected.  Here I am with a fist full of cash trying to buy something and I found myself loosing the focus to someone who was not buying anything.  It's still one of my favorite shops - great guys, great prices - but I could have been treated better as a paying customer.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
A simple "excuse me, when you get a second, I'd like to see that firearm" when there was a break in the conversation.
Maybe they thought you a lurker or troll. I'd give it another try you'd be suprised.
or maybe not. to each is own. Good luck in finding your firearm.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
perimedik said:
A simple "excuse me, when you get a second, I'd like to see that firearm" when there was a break in the conversation.
Maybe they thought you a lurker or troll. I'd give it another try you'd be suprised.
or maybe not. to each is own. Good luck in finding your firearm.
OH NO
That plumbing conversation was INTENSE.
Not to be interrupted.

That's OK I vote with my wallet and I vote often.

·
APPLESEED RIFLEMAN NRA LIFE-ENDOWMENT MEMBER
3,076 Posts
I've had to wait at Campsite as well.  If I heard the conversation was not related to the purchase of, or information about a firearm, I simply said "When you get a chance could I please see a ...."  They always quickly ended the conversation quickly and got me what I asked for.  Just try speaking up a little, let your intentions be known and you will find the service there is great.  

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I can't understand why these guys do not see customer service as one of the most important aspects of running a business (any business).  How much more $ could they bring into to the business if they distinguished themselves as that much better than the other shops.  Maybe it's because they are "gun guys" or retired cops and don't feel that they hold that much stake in the success of the business.  Or, maybe they feel that they hold a monopoly on the local firearms business.  Regardless, I think they could make considerably more money if shooters enjoyed visiting these places.  Treat someone right, you have a loyal customer.  Treat them bad, they'll tell 20 people about it (or post it on the internet).  From what I read here, a lot of guy dread dealing with some of the shops.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Remember the days when men would go to the hardware store simply to get away from the wife for a bit. Not buy anything but just "hang out". I do that at campsite. Whenever I find myself with some free time, I may head over for a few. Don't get me wrong I do buy there often, but sometimes I just look and listen and always at some point get a wave and hello sent to me. I may see one of the guys showing a rifle to someone and before it goes back on the rack I ask to have it passed over. Great guys, great place, don't give up take another ride when you have some time to pass.

·
moved to greener pastures
10,857 Posts
Sorry to hear about your less than stellar experience.
Being an extremely hard headed person, I take customer servive very much to heart.
I've shopped, and purchased at Campsite and found them to be a good shop with above average customer servive.
They're not necessarily my "go to" shop, but I like them.
I'd give them one more try. They're good guys.
You never know. You might have accidently had your invisibility cloak engaged.

·
Problem solver... maker... solver... maker.
6,239 Posts
I won't name names... You know where I like to shop. Actions speak louder than words. Where I go, no matter how busy it is, when someone walks in I always hear somebody that works there say something to the effect of "Hi, if you could wait a moment, somebody will be right with you." And THAT is why I continue to keep going back and bring them as much business as I can.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I've had that happen there as well and walked out pissed off because it took me almost an hour to get there. Gave it another shot a week later and they couldn't have been more helpful and friendly.
Go figure.

·
Banned
2,404 Posts
The key with Campsite is to catch them when they are not busy. Depending on how busy they are, plan to spend at least an hour there. It's fun to listen to the conversations. Sometimes, I learn a thing or two.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.