Long Island Shooters Forum banner

My new Henry All Weather rifle (PICS)

15K views 52 replies 26 participants last post by  boosti 
#1 ·
Special thanks to LI Ammo, who contacted Anthony at Henry directly and had a few shipped straight from the factory (they might have a 30-30 left). LI Ammo is Long Island's premier Henry Gold dealer, if you need a Henry (or other guns and lots of ammo and other cool stuff) be sure to check them out!

Henry All Weather Lever Action Rifle
45-70 Govt, Specially stained hardwood, Hard Chrome plating finish.
18.43 Barrel, 7.08 pounds

A beautifully finished, rugged guide gun with Henry's legendary service and warranty.
Hand tool Plant Chainsaw Wood Tool

45-70 Govt, a caliber with great history and can drop any game in North America.
Bicycle part Trigger Font Air gun Gun accessory

Revolver Plant Tree Wood Shotgun

Plant Vertebrate Wood Mammal Grass

The hard chrome plating is beautiful and durable offering corrosion resistance.
Sports equipment Tool Wood Bicycle part Hand tool

Plant Wood Tree Grass Trunk

Plant Air gun Tree Trigger Shotgun

With lighting, against the steel pegboard, you can see the dark wood actually has a chocolate hue to it.
Hand tool Wood Tool Line Knife

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Cool gun. Hope it works out for you. I only buy pre-Remington JM Stamped Marlins now (own several from the 80s).
The 1985SBL is a beauty but I've seen some horrible QC on Remlins from metal burrs on the finish to extraction issues. The thing with Henry is their legendary customer service. LI Ammo talked directly to the owner of the company and he sent these guns from the factory. If there is a problem I know they'll make it right. Can't say that about Marlin anymore since they were bought out by Remington (The Freedom Group holding company which is strictly corporate) and got rid of all their old gunsmiths, but that doesn't mean you didn't get a good one. Enjoy.

#6 ·
VERY NICE.
Very mobern looking for a leave gun. Awsome round if you reload you can make some real potent medicine for big game and bigger bears.

Reactions: K Williams
#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
I totally get what you are saying, but again, I don't ever want to start thinking "There's nothing in the chamber". I don't want to muzzle my hand especially at a range where I have been loading and firing. What if I didn't' realize I had one in the chamber?

As I said, I will probably buy one someday, but it would be so much better, IMHO, if Henry would start selling rifles with side loading gates. It is a far superior technology, and would make the choice pretty much a no-brainer over Marlin and Rossi.. I know they have tried to be more true to the design of the original Henry Rifles, but with the exception of the Henry Original Rifle they started making a few years ago, they were never really that close in design to the original ones.

Plus, they are now making these non-traditional (and great looking) All Weather models and are even making Long Ranger lever guns with detachable magazines that shoot .223, .243 and .308. If they can break that far from tradition, why not make some with side loading gates?

#20 ·
Beautiful rifle congrats and enjoy. If I were to purchase a new lever action today it would be a Henry. I own five JM marlins form 1990 to 2007 and would not consider purchasing a Remington produced lever action after seeing years of bad products being produced.

#21 ·
Very nice!

#22 ·
OP, she's a beauty!! Use her in good health!!! I haven't gotten a lever action yet, but it's on my wish list. I have looked at rossi, marlins, winchesters and Henry's. IMO, Henry really is the sexiest of the bunch. Since I am not a hunter and don't have the budget to go plinking with big full size centerfire cartridges, I would probably go for a big boy in .380/.357--possibly .44. As one other person above mentioned, I agree that none of these guns are really ideal for home defense (at least in the Nassau County suburbs). Even chambered for .357, the long rifle barrel bumps up velocity of a 128gr bullet into the 1500-1600fps range. That bullet will pass like walls like butter, but even the velocity bump isn't enough to cause that big bullet to break up like a .223 HP or SP. .380 might be better for HD, but from what I have read, lever actions don't feed them as well as their full sized brothers.

Just out of curiosity, is there any reason why manufacturers don't make a lever action in 9mm? I am assuming there some sort of technical issue that makes it problematic--otherwise I would think a fun, cheap to shoot 9mm lever action, that could serve HD duty would be on the market. Anyone have the skinny on this?

#23 ·
Have you snuck way to the range shoot it yet.

#24 ·
I haven't hunted yet, but I think it would be better for hunting than the range, as you wouldn't need to reload while hunting. At the range, I would be loading the rifle more often. I don't like the idea of sticking my hand up there, near or in front of the muzzle. While, I would on one level "know" there is nothing in the chamber, Rule 1 says ALL guns are loaded. it just seems like a violation of Rules 1 and 2, and I don't want to lose my mortal fear of muzzling anything I am not prepared to destroy, nor do I ever want to think of any rifle as "not loaded". Very bad and dangerous habit IMO.

I agree it is not great for self defense, with the 4 round capacity and slow and awkward loading method.
In MHO, if you shoot yurself loading a Henry or any other tube fed lever gun, well, you deserved it. Again, that's my opinion. Training, knowing the weapons manual of arms and common sense dictate here. Those that have issues like this should not have access to these types of firearms or should find something safe, like a single shot bolt maybe?

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
As with any firearm, training and using the proper caliber and bullet when hunting. The 45-70 is a proven caliber. Hunters and professional guides use it for a reason.
With the newer guns you can hand load some real potent rounds that you will regret firing.

I don't have the recipe handy . If I remember correctly I load 100 rounds of 480gr or 500gr Hornady DGX for a friend going on a bear cruise in Alaska.

Reactions: Destro
#27 ·
OP, she's a beauty!! Use her in good health!!! I haven't gotten a lever action yet, but it's on my wish list. I have looked at rossi, marlins, winchesters and Henry's. IMO, Henry really is the sexiest of the bunch. Since I am not a hunter and don't have the budget to go plinking with big full size centerfire cartridges, I would probably go for a big boy in .380/.357--possibly .44. As one other person above mentioned, I agree that none of these guns are really ideal for home defense (at least in the Nassau County suburbs). Even chambered for .357, the long rifle barrel bumps up velocity of a 128gr bullet into the 1500-1600fps range. That bullet will pass like walls like butter, but even the velocity bump isn't enough to cause that big bullet to break up like a .223 HP or SP. .380 might be better for HD, but from what I have read, lever actions don't feed them as well as their full sized brothers.

Just out of curiosity, is there any reason why manufacturers don't make a lever action in 9mm? I am assuming there some sort of technical issue that makes it problematic--otherwise I would think a fun, cheap to shoot 9mm lever action, that could serve HD duty would be on the market. Anyone have the skinny on this?

Actually picked up a Henry Big Boy carbine in .357/.38 special a week later from LI Ammo (Kim drives a hard bargain!)

A really sick lever. Octagon Barrel, 16" length, big loop, beautiful polished brass finish in .357. I'm in love. Will have another set of pics up on this beauty when I have the time (if only I had more time LOL).

#28 ·

Actually picked up a Henry Big Boy carbine in .357/.38 special a week later from LI Ammo (Kim drives a hard bargain!)

A really sick lever. Octagon Barrel, 16" length, big loop, beautiful polished brass finish in .357. I'm in love. Will have another set of pics up on this beauty when I have the time (if only I had more time LOL).
Congratulations...I would recommend buying the Five shot tube for hunting deer upstate. The .357 is a great caliber!

#29 ·
In MHO, if you shoot yurself loading a Henry or any other tube fed lever gun, well, you deserved it. Again, that's my opinion. Training, knowing the weapons manual of arms and common sense dictate here. Those that have issues like this should not have access to these types of firearms or should find something safe, like a single shot bolt maybe?
Again, my point is that it is an inherently less safe, slower and less convenient way to load a tube fed magazine. I realize that you can work around it, by being very careful. I own a Henry Goldenboy and love it. When I shoot it, I am very careful not to let any part of my hand cross the muzzle while removing or reinserting the follower. From what I have seen online, most shooters are not so careful.

But the fact remains, a gun that requires you to stick your hand up by the muzzle when loading it (and in most videos I see, the shooters pass their hand across the muzzle) is an inferior design. I would prefer a rifle that does not tend to encourage bad safety habits like losing fear and respect for the muzzle or thinking "it's not loaded". IMHO, those habits can spread. A shooter might not negligently shoot himself or someone with the Herny, but if you lose fear of the muzzle and get in the habit of thinking "it's not loaded" it can make you more dangerous with ALL your guns.

I understand them keeping it to keep their rifles more historically accurate, but since they are coming out with all sorts of new fangled lever guns, that are way outside the original Henry tradition, why not also make some with some late 19th Century features?

I am not saying people shouldn't buy Henrys. They are a great company that makes great rifles. I am just saying, I personally, greatly prefer a side loading gate. It would make a great product even better.

#30 ·
Again, my point is that it is an inherently less safe, slower and less convenient way to load a tube fed magazine. I realize that you can work around it, by being very careful. I own a Henry Goldenboy and love it. When I shoot it, I am very careful not to let any part of my hand cross the muzzle while removing or reinserting the follower. From what I have seen online, most shooters are not so careful.

But the fact remains, a gun that requires you to stick your hand up by the muzzle when loading it (and in most videos I see, the shooters pass their hand across the muzzle) is an inferior design. I would prefer a rifle that does not tend to encourage bad safety habits like losing fear and respect for the muzzle or thinking "it's not loaded". IMHO, those habits can spread. A shooter might not negligently shoot himself or someone with the Herny, but if you lose fear of the muzzle and get in the habit of thinking "it's not loaded" it can make you more dangerous with ALL your guns.

I understand them keeping it to keep their rifles more historically accurate, but since they are coming out with all sorts of new fangled lever guns, that are way outside the original Henry tradition, why not also make some with some late 19th Century features?

I am not saying people shouldn't buy Henrys. They are a great company that makes great rifles. I am just saying, I personally, greatly prefer a side loading gate. It would make a great product even better.
You are definetly a Democrat...

#32 ·
So did you shoot it yet how she run. I was thinking of getting the marlin guide gun in 45-70 but the Henry looks so good.

Reactions: Mad Russian
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.