Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my milling machine arrived today, and man it is heavy, took some creative procedures, egyptian like methods and brother in law who had an engine hoist just to get it into my shop, took 2 hours to move it 10 feet! My steel is in at the steel yard so I can weld up my stand for it then back to the engine hoist. one thing is for sure, when I move, I am having a company do it for me LOL

Attachments

·
Banned
19,459 Posts
It comes apart, you know- and you should take it apart anyway to clean the sand out of the castings and get out the animal-fat grease (the pink stuff) they use on Asian machine tools (sometimes it's green but it smells like lard). then a good coat of Vactra on the ways before reassembly.
Congratulations, and remember that thing on a stand is super top-heavy so you probably want to place it on the stand LAST. Using a tow strap to lift it will protect the paint and the auto body filler the casting is covered with from flaking off, but you have to grab it low because the nylon stretches. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It comes apart, you know- and you should take it apart anyway to clean the sand out of the castings and get out the animal-fat grease (the pink stuff) they use on Asian machine tools (sometimes it's green but it smells like lard). then a good coat of Vactra on the ways before reassembly.
Congratulations, and remember that thing on a stand is super top-heavy so you probably want to place it on the stand LAST. Using a tow strap to lift it will protect the paint and the auto body filler the casting is covered with from flaking off, but you have to grab it low because the nylon stretches. Good luck!
I am aware that it comes apart, between installing my irrigation system,painting my shed, painting my fencing and the trucking guy who would only drop it at my curb, on a broken pallet, and moving it up my 60' driveway, I just wanted to get it inside, did not have the patience to take it apart.

I had nylon boom straps but they stretched way too much and I lack ceiling height, had to use the chain, only one place to grab it from.

I am making a stand that I will be welding up tomorrow out of 1/4" wall 2x2 square tube, with a 1/4" plate top that will be leveled, bolted to the floor and the machine will be bolted to that, I should say, I will be starting on it tomorrow, Im sure I won't finish

Thanks for the advice I will try to find the Vactra, if I can't find are there alternatives that are locally available?

·
Banned
19,459 Posts
You could try Home Depot, in the aisle with the chainsaws and trimmers they have bar oil. Check eBay for a one-shot oiler and add that, it's worth it. The time to do it is when you have the table apart so you can drill and tap all the little fittings in. Should take you about an hour. One quarter of a handle stroke every few hours of machine time is fine for mine.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well Today, I finally got this behemoth up on the stand, this thing was heavy! even with the head removed. I spent the last day, carefully taking this thing apart, cleaning everything and re lubing. I had to use a chain hoist to support the detached head in mid air during disassembly I then realized that there were no great attachment points without the head attached to lift this thing. So I figured brute strength. Called a friend and we lifted the base, drilled holes in the table, bolted it down, then the column and bolted that to the base, then used the chain hoist to raise the head (which was extremely heavy) Guess what? not enough head room to get it to where it needed to be. Set it down and re configured things and no go. Ran out to the rental yard got one of those collapsable engine hoists $45 for the day Crazy. Get that thing back to my house, rig up a cradle to hold the head, while doing a transfer from the hoist to the lift. Its all hooked up and I start cranking then I notice the lift, has a tear in the steel where the boom comes out (part that supports what you are lifting)
Call the rental yard, ask if it is ok if I fix it, so out comes the welder and some angle iron for a gusset (they best discount my rental) so finally I get it in place and installed.

This is a pretty nice machine (what do I know LOL) there are a few things that I do not really like, The crank handles are hard plastic (wish they were metal) maybe I can find aftermarket ones. When I had this thing apart, I kept looking for this internet mentioned casting sand, or any grit, I did not find any. The only place I found it was when I pulled the factory installed collet out. on top of the collet and on the end of the drawbar there was some, not much but enough to warrant me to investigate it further tomorrow.

I could not wait to mount the vise just to see what a $500 vice looks like LOL. Now to get electric to the machine and shelving for organization and tooling storage, as you can see by the photos, space is at a premium!

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.