Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i decided to build my first rifle and due to already having a thordsen set up and a fixed mag. I figured id go on to a lightweight with a spur

Well hear she is

Tegra Arms Carbon-Fiber Lower
CMMG Lower Parts Kit
Battle Arms Development Light-Saber Stock
B.A.D Buffer Kit
Spur Grip

Wood Font Machine Metal Art

Took me about 30 min to assemble and going by feel id say its close to half the weight of my DSI Thordsen complete lower.

Lemme know what you think.

Attachments

· Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
Cool you got the Typhoon keymod upper from DSI I reviewed?

That's going to be very light.

I mean on one hand I never got the need to go super light (like the guy on the internet that drilled holes through the lower, grip etc. just to save a few ounces), I mean ARs are already pretty light to begin with and most of us aren't lugging it in the field. If it's that much of a problem I got some free weights over here.

But I get the concept of putting together a light rifle and compared to a bull barrel bench shooter it sure makes a difference. Nice job. Like the aesthetics and minimalist vibe. Enjoy!

· Sifting Through the Ruins
8,061 Posts
Nah, I definitely get the light weight thing. If you are potentially taking a semi auto deep into public land upstate for coyotes, or going cross country to avoid the walkers, humping too much iron takes a little of the fun out of it.

Nice build. Give us the exact weight when fully configured and a run down on accuracy potential and handling.

· I'm a Michigander now.
5,119 Posts
that serial number is cool...i guess, if you're into that kinda thing.

Seriously though, nice setup. I'm interested...If going the lightweight route, why did you decide against an 80%? The polymers are easy to finish. not judging, just a question.

· Premium Member
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that serial number is cool...i guess, if you're into that kinda thing.

Seriously though, nice setup. I'm interested...If going the lightweight route, why did you decide against an 80%? The polymers are easy to finish. not judging, just a question.
Truth was, DSI had a July 4th sale on the Lower so i figured id try to build a rifle. Knowing i was going Spur i knew i needed fixed stock and i HATE the look of the A2.

· Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
Nah, I definitely get the light weight thing. If you are potentially taking a semi auto deep into public land upstate for coyotes, or going cross country to avoid the walkers, humping too much iron takes a little of the fun out of it.

Nice build. Give us the exact weight when fully configured and a run down on accuracy potential and handling.
Don't get me wrong I get the light weight thing. I got that same upper in trying to get a light AR for home defense, mobility reasons. It's definitley more manageable than my bull barrel ARs. With the ace skeleton stock it's my lightest AR by far.
Machine gun Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel

I just dont get the obsessive quest by some AR guys (not OP, but as an aside to this post) to shave every last ounce to the point of this:

Funny thing you mention coyote hunting. A lot of "predator" or "varmint" coyote gun ARs are traditionally longer bull barrels and A2 stocks (and marketed as such) and heavier by nature than their "regular" AR counterparts.

Attachments

· Premium Member
944 Posts
Don't get me wrong I get the light weight thing. I got that same upper in trying to get a light AR for home defense, mobility reasons. It's definitley more manageable than my bull barrel ARs. With the ace skeleton stock it's my lightest AR by far.
View attachment 61875

I just dont get the obsessive quest by some AR guys (not OP, but as an aside to this post) to shave every last ounce to the point of this:

Funny thing you mention coyote hunting. A lot of "predator" or "varmint" coyote gun ARs are traditionally longer bull barrels and A2 stocks (and marketed as such) and heavier by nature than their "regular" AR counterparts.

I agree. I didnt set out to make it as light as possible. I dont understand guys drilling holes and weakening the structure.

I wanted something that would be 6lb with loaded mag and optic and this set up is 5lb 5oz plus 7oz for loaded pmag and 5oz for a sparc 2 optic. So it will be 6lb 1oz dressed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.