Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , my dillon 550 has recently developed an annoying squeek on the down stroke when seating a primer, ive also developed some priming feed issues where it wont pick up a primer when its supposed to as well as when i load the tube, if i am not really careful, the primers will get jammed in the tube.

I suspect that the primer pickup is rubbing against the shell plate or the primer pickup is rubbing against the spring because i have isolated the squeek to that location. There is not much adjustment for that.

On the primer pickup tube issue, i really have no idea.

I have loaded about 2000 rounds of 45 on this press, none of these issues before, i bought the press brand new. The issues came about when I did a caliber change to 44 magnum.

I swear, it almost seams as if you need a press for every caliber as there is no real "quick change" even when you buy the special kit.

Any ideas? Anyone have a similar issue? It couldnt already be time to completely dissassemble the thing and clean it, it is spotless,

·
moved to greener pastures
10,857 Posts
As Shotgun said, call Dillon. They're helpful.
Secondly, changing calibers shouldn't be a chore.
On my 550, I had a separate toolhead with dies, powder measure, etc. for each caliber and changing from one to another was a 3 minute job.
But if you can swing a couple of presses, more power to you.
I'm looking real hard at a Forster single stage for my next.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I know the shell plate is very sensitive to adjustments. Just a slight turn on the hex bolt in either direction may solve your problem.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As Shotgun said, call Dillon. They're helpful.
Secondly, changing calibers shouldn't be a chore.
On my 550, I had a separate toolhead with dies, powder measure, etc. for each caliber and changing from one to another was a 3 minute job.
But if you can swing a couple of presses, more power to you.
I'm looking real hard at a Forster single stage for my next.
yes the caliber change is a 3 minute job and is a breeze, it just seemed that this appeared after I did the caliber change is all

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
yes the caliber change is a 3 minute job and is a breeze, it just seemed that this appeared after I did the caliber change is all
Did you hear the annoying sqeak as you rammed the case mouth through McFly's thumb as was trying to "borrow" your brass?

I occurs to me you could change back and see if the sqeak is still present, that might narrow things down a bit.

·
Registered
891 Posts
The squeak and the primer pickup are probably related. Take the primer feed off the press completely. Clean the primer slide, feed cup, the black spring plate and everything else down there with rubbing alcohol. This cleans the powder and primer residue from those parts. Reassemble with NO lubricant. Adjust the travel on the primer slide again to set the travel, and make sure there's no side to side play when the punch travels into the case head. The 'not picking up a primer' is probably the feed tube being out of position, or the tip being worn out. There's an alignment tab on the end of the feed tube that goes into a slot in the feed head. Make sure the tab is in the slot by rotating the tube, and then tighten the stop nut on top.

·
Listen up,I don't dial 911.
3,599 Posts
I have issue with the primer system as well no squeak but it does not always grab a primer. It got to be that I was spending to much time trying to get it to work so I set it aside and use the Rock Chukker one of the reasons for reloading is the relaxation of it . Its not a contest to see how many I can make.

·
Banned
3,395 Posts
Hi , my dillon 550 has recently developed an annoying squeek on the down stroke when seating a primer, ive also developed some priming feed issues where it wont pick up a primer when its supposed to as well as when i load the tube, if i am not really careful, the primers will get jammed in the tube.

I suspect that the primer pickup is rubbing against the shell plate or the primer pickup is rubbing against the spring because i have isolated the squeek to that location. There is not much adjustment for that.

On the primer pickup tube issue, i really have no idea.

I have loaded about 2000 rounds of 45 on this press, none of these issues before, i bought the press brand new. The issues came about when I did a caliber change to 44 magnum.

I swear, it almost seams as if you need a press for every caliber as there is no real "quick change" even when you buy the special kit.

Any ideas? Anyone have a similar issue? It couldnt already be time to completely dissassemble the thing and clean it, it is spotless,
I got a loadmaster that runs. 45 flawless even trade.

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
is the press oil up will
You have to be really careful because many oils will penetrate and deactivate a primer, resulting in the possibility of a FTF or squib load. In my own opinion (no idea what Dillon says) dry lubricants like thin film lubricants (CRC spray is my favorite) is safe to use on parts that contact primers and molybdenum sulfide, lithium, and Teflon paste lubricants are OK to use in PROXIMITY to primers, as long as there is no direct contact or grease transfer through parts. I never really "got" the guys running AR's hosed down with oil either, FWIW. If the poster above says no lubricant, then no lubricant it is- maybe something is not tightened securely, annoying squeaks or creaks can occur with movement of only a few thousandths of an inch- there might well be that much flex in the frame of the machine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts