Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as the title states, does anyone know of someone on the island that offers muzzle brake pinning services at this time?
i asked a few like south shore sports man and they all say that they currently do not.

·
Registered
893 Posts
chapperjoe said:
I wouldn't do it at ANYONE but adco.
I heard great things about Adco on another site, only reason i didn't use them was i didn't want to ship out and wait 2 weeks. But, next time I would use them....

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
Isn't possession of the barrel itself an actionable offense, and what would you then have to do, ship directly to the shop?

Meaning, if you already have this stuff here, aren't you basically screwed?

·
Sharp Shooter!
1,190 Posts
Captain Will said:
Isn't possession of the barrel itself an actionable offense, and what would you then have to do, ship directly to the shop?

Meaning, if you already have this stuff here, aren't you basically screwed?
An upper purchased by itself does not constitute a firearm, therefore not illegal to possess.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I have used Adco, they were very fast. I had a rifle I purchased shipped to them to pin the muzzle brake on. It was shipped the same day they received it, you can't get much better then that and the quality of the work was excellent as well as price ($30).

Ken

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
LG said:
An upper purchased by itself does not constitute a firearm, therefore not illegal to possess.
Oh.

I kinda thought the same logic applied to magazines would apply, but now that you mention it I think they are specifically cited against whereas the stipulatrion on barrels is "a firearm having X features".

This means you could have a whole lot of very "evil" stuff in your safe and ready to pin together at a moment's notice?

I have been afraid to even order a collasping stock to pin it to a fixed stock if I have a gun it fits on- is this unfounded worry/paranoia?

At what point does all this stuff in proximity constiturte a firearm, at the moment of assembly?

·
Supreme Pontificator
6,971 Posts
Captain Will said:
Oh.

I kinda thought the same logic applied to magazines would apply, but now that you mention it I think they are specifically cited against whereas the stipulatrion on barrels is "a firearm having X features".

This means you could have a whole lot of very "evil" stuff in your safe and ready to pin together at a moment's notice?

I have been afraid to even order a collasping stock to pin it to a fixed stock if I have a gun it fits on- is this unfounded worry/paranoia?

At what point does all this stuff in proximity constiturte a firearm, at the moment of assembly?
You can go to LRB today and purchase a newly minted complete lower and rest it atop a mountain of evil parts in your living room and you will not run afoul of the law. The moment you make a completed rifle out of the lower and an upper with an evil part you are in violation of the NY AWB. The fact that your mountain of evil parts collapsed and in the avalanche an evil upper somehow affixed itself to your lower will not save you.

I should note the completion issue cuts both ways. If you somehow manage to secure a receiver or complete lower that is of pre ban vintage but was not built into a rifle prior to the Federal AWB, it can never be built into a "pre ban" rifle. That lower could only be used sans evil features, despite when it was made.

·
115:5
4,036 Posts
A post ban HCFD (mag body) is illegal in and of itself. You don't need any other parts or a gun to use it in.

"Evil rifle features" are not illegal in and of themselves.
If the law were as you are thinking, you could only own pre-ban rifles, or post ban rifles. Not both, because you could take parts off one and put them on the other. Luckily it's not that far gone.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the input guys, ADCO..... um can any one get me the actual name of the store non-acronymed. i searched online and couldnt get any except for one thats in ohio. can someone point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
803 Posts
I did it myself.. Its not that hard if you have a MIG welder. Drill a hole in the brake, thread it on the barrel, continue the hole partially into the barrel threads, insert pin (I used a piece of a wire hangar) and tack it. Then you just grind the weld flush an touch it up with some flat black paint. While I had it apart I even managed to cut off that deadly and dangerous bayonet lug that came on my buddies "post ban" upper.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.