Long Island Shooters Forum banner

MS Update Faulty Patch KB3097877

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Walker1847 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
My Outlook 2010 crashes immediately upon opening.....

Windows users report bugs, crashes after recent security patches
http://www.zdnet.com...-are-not-alone/

If Outlook is crashing for you today, you're not alone.

A number of readers have emailed in to say that Outlook, the company's desktop client, had crashed following Microsoft's monthly release of security patches on Tuesday.

Other users are experiencing a range of various issues, such as black screens and other errors.

The software giant confirmed in an emailed statement to ZDNet that some users might be suffering from a Patch Tuesday hangover.

"We are looking into reports from some customers who are experiencing difficulties with Outlook after installing Windows KB3097877. An immediate review is under way," said a spokesperson.

Many on Twitter also pointed to the patch, also known as MS15-115), a critical update affecting all versions of Windows, as the one to blame. The patch fixes a series of flaws that could allow an attacker to remotely execute code on an affected machine by exploiting how the operating system handles and displays fonts.

Some users have reported that Outlook crashes only when web-formatted (HTML) emails are displayed.
Earlier, download links posted on the security bulletins point to files disappeared off the site, but returned by mid-afternoon.

After checking on a number of Windows computers including in the CNET Lab in New York, the patch was still available for download through Windows Update.

There is an active thread on Reddit's sysadmin subreddit and Microsoft's own forums. Many of those on the threads said that uninstalling the patch will fix many, if not all of the issues.

This isn't the first time the software giant has suffered through buggy software patches.

Last year, Microsoft withdrew four updates as part of August's Patch Tuesday and even recommended users uninstall one patch. The company said at the time only a small number of users were affected, however.

See less See more
Reactions: Blade21
#5 ·
This is why we call the Wednesday after patch Tuesday (2nd Tuesday of each month) SHTF Wednesday. Always generates some decent revenue for us.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I had IE crashing and traced it back to a patch which had to have another patch installed prior, which was missing, and that subsequent patch was installed automatically. The problem was, I couldn't uninstall the patch without rolling the whole machine back so I ended up switching to Chrome- nice going MS!

#9 ·
Microsoft surreptitiously reissues botched patch KB 3097877 for Windows 7
http://www.infoworld.com/article/3004441/microsoft-windows/microsoft-surreptitiously-reissues-botched-patch-kb-3097877-for-windows-7.html

It looks like the patch was only re-released for Windows 7, not for any of the other Windows versions. I had anecdotal evidence on AskWoody.com that the patch had been pulled for Windows 7 on the night of Nov. 11, at least for a short time.

That means it took Microsoft 30 hours or more to pull the bad KB 3097877, and 36 hours to get a new version posted. That's the kind of timescale we were accustomed to earlier this year. Considering that the failure seems to affect all versions of Windows 7 running all versions of Outlook, it's hard to understand why the problem wasn't caught in testing -- and why it took so long to make it right.

It's also not clear why Microsoft re-released the patch with the same KB number as the bad patch. That's going to make life difficult for some admins. For those who hang their tails out in the breeze and turn on Windows Automatic Update, though, it means that a run through Windows Update will solve the old problems, and you're not likely to notice that anything's been updated.

If you can get to Windows Update.
If the new version really solves all the problems.

#10 ·
I just installed the updated kb3097877 and it appears the Outlook problem is fixed.
Sys Admins are gonna have a field day, since the fixed patch has the same kb# as the bad original - have fun with that.

Reactions: xcentrk
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.