Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Moving out of Nyc

9K views 57 replies 21 participants last post by  TJ Ironhorse 
#1 ·
Im planning on moving out of nyc (out of state) within the next year & 1/2. I currently have a nyc premise permit. I'm trying to preplan a little because I have no idea about the process. From what I can figure out so far...

Bring my handguns to a ffl, they store/secure them. They give me some kind of receipt that I bring to 1PP, where I cancel my overpriced permit.

I move my family out of this sinking cesspool

When I have gotten to my new gun friendly, red, dream home, I call the ffl in ny & have them ship to ffl where I moved to.

Enjoy my freedom.

Is that even remotely close? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
Destination state (fl) does not require a permit to own, just to conceal carry. Im just assuming nypd makes a big deal out of taking my guns out of state & want to make it as difficult as possible. Hoping someone went through this & guide me in best direction. I was going to call down to 1pp, but didnt feel like being on hold for an eternity at that moment.

#5 ·
Im planning on moving out of nyc (out of state) within the next year & 1/2. I currently have a nyc premise permit. I'm trying to preplan a little because I have no idea about the process. From what I can figure out so far...
Bring my handguns to a ffl, they store/secure them. They give me some kind of receipt that I bring to 1PP, where I cancel my overpriced permit.
I move my family out of this sinking cesspool
When I have gotten to my new gun friendly, red, dream home, I call the ffl in ny & have them ship to ffl where I moved to.
Enjoy my freedom.
Is that even remotely close? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
A few who moved to a gun friendly state that doesn't require pistols to be registered are simply transported down unloaded and secured in a locked gun case. You may return the pistol license by certified mail to 1PP and let them know you no longer live in New York and the firearms are out of the state.

#7 ·
A few who moved to a gun friendly state that doesn't require pistols to be registered are simply transported down unloaded and secured in a locked gun case. You may return the pistol license by certified mail to 1PP and let them know you no longer live in New York and the firearms are out of the state.
Interesting, seems to easy & too good to be true. Haha. What if we get a moving company & fly down? Not even sure what the plan is yet, just trying to cover every angle.

#8 ·
Since you're going to FL and don't need a license to possess just take them with you unload in the trunk of your car. When you get their mail your license back to pistol licensing in NYC.

My educated guess is a moving company cannot be in possession of your handguns. Either you take them or they have to be shipped by an FFL to an FFL in FL.

#9 ·
Since you're going to FL and don't need a license to possess just take them with you unload in the trunk of your car. When you get their mail your license back to pistol licensing in NYC.
My educated guess is a moving company cannot be in possession of your handguns. Either you take them or they have to be shipped by an FFL to an FFL in FL.
That makes sense. Thanks.

#11 ·
My friend just moved to Florida last month. Packed his firearms safely in his vehicle. Locked containers.
Drove straight through to the sunshine state. Wrote a letter, along with the nyc license. Sent certified mail, return receipt.
Done deal.
Since they changed some of the laws regarding transporting out of city limits, There shouldn't be any problems going through different states, as long as they are locked in cases, separate from ammo? This is way easier than the ffl route.

#16 ·
Since they changed some of the laws regarding transporting out of city limits, There shouldn't be any problems going through different states, as long as they are locked in cases, separate from ammo? This is way easier than the ffl route.
This is my understanding of this. Not legal advice in any way, shape, or form.

#21 ·
It takes about 6 ~ 8 weeks to process the application from the time they receive it (no more than 90 days is the state requirement).

You request the application and finger print cards on-line from Florida (Department of Agriculture).

Probably the hardest part is getting NYPD to do the finger print cards.

As mentioned if you served in the military your DD-214 will be considered proof of firearms training.

Reactions: KingD
#23 ·
Destination state (fl) does not require a permit to own, just to conceal carry. Im just assuming nypd makes a big deal out of taking my guns out of state & want to make it as difficult as possible. Hoping someone went through this & guide me in best direction. I was going to call down to 1pp, but didnt feel like being on hold for an eternity at that moment.
I packed all my pistols up into a box loaded into my trailer and drove down to TN a week later I took the CCW class and I should have it in a week .. I've been here since Jan 1st.

#25 ·
Make sure your turn signals are operational and use them. Stop at red lights and stop signs. Put your headlights on when it rains. Drive at or just above the speed limits. (All before applies to Newyorkistan and its commie neighbor Joisey.)

Flip the bird on the Delaware Memorial Bridge. Congratulations on making your escape (eventually.) Do you really have to waste 55 cents to mail your license back ? I think when they hear nothing about a renewal they might figure it out.

#26 ·
Did you mail your nyc permit back to one police plaza with a letter like other posters mentioned? How long did it take to get used to all your freedom?
I am from Nassau and I have not sent it back yet.. I am waiting to receive my TN CCW in the mail . It don't take long to get use to the freedom. buying 30 round mags like crazy now and glock 17 round mags as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.