Long Island Shooters Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
I started digging through old paperwork from 1PP & found that you must contact the nypd license divisions cancellation unit within 10 days for directions. (646)610-5871. Im definitely going to get the florida non resident in the mean time. Seems easy enough. Requested the fingerprint cards online & looking into a class at the moment. This site is great, the knowledge in endless.
I have my Florida non resident ccw including my enslaved NYC dictator pistol license .

·
Registered
85 Posts
Recently had this very same question about my NYS ( Nassau county permit).
After many opinions, asking friends who moved out of state who were also permit holders in Nassau and NYC as well as much reading of the Nassau County guidelines I finally got the RIGHT answer to this question of "MOVING OUT OF NY STATE AND WHAT IS THE LEGAL WAY (in Nassau at least) to TRANSPORT MY FIREARMS OUT OF NY".....so Here it is:

First I will quote what is written in the NCPD pistol permit handbook and then I will translate below into what I think is a much easier way to understand it because some stuff is just left out, quite frankly.(I highlighted in red - KEY phrases and words)

According to the NCPD the proper way is found in the pistol permit handbook (as of Aug 2021) and is a 2 PART thing:
SELLING OR DISPOSING OF A FIREARM
#1. To legally dispose of a firearm(s), a licensee is required to do one of the following:
a. Surrender the firearm(s), in a safe, unloaded condition to the NCPD Pistol License Section,
b. Sell or transfer the firearm(s), whether within or outside New York State, ONLY through a NYS licensed dealer in firearms,
c. Sell or transfer the firearm(s) to an immediate family member,
Note: Sales or transfers to spouses, domestic partners, children and stepchildren are permitted by the NY SAFE Act. Transfer may only be conducted through a NYS licensed dealer in firearms or at the counter of the NCPD Pistol License Section.
d. Surrender the firearm(s) to a licensed gunsmith for destruction, or
e. Place the firearm on consignment (see Section D of this chapter).

#2. In addition, when legally disposing of a firearm(s), a licensee is required to do the following:
a. All firearms transactions must occur prior to the expiration of a license. If the license is expired, the firearms must be immediately surrendered to the NCPD as described above.
b. A bill of sale or dealer’s receipt must accompany all sales of firearms, and must be submitted to the NCPD Pistol License Section in person along with the license for amendment within ten (10) business days.

SO WTH does this all mean? OK so to break it down for all of you moving to the firearm friendly places. It means, the legal way to do this would be:
Step 1 based on #1 above:
Do 1 of the things it says, either:
- a.Give the pistol(s) up by handing it/them over to the Nassau County Pistol permit office (doubt anyone wants to do that, but its an option), they amend your permit (aka take the pistols off) and you can take the permit back or tell them to keep it cuz you're moving anyways. Do this and you're all done - nothing else to do. Walk out with no pistol(s) and no permit
OR
- b.Sell the gun to a NYS firearms dealer (aka Gun store, aka Federal Firearms License Holder [FFL]).
This means
: Sell them your gun, keep your dealer receipt which shows you sold it to them, your receipt should state your name, make/model/caliber/Serial# of pistol and your permit #, STEP #2- take that receipt along with your permit to the NCPD pistol permit office within 10 days of the day you sold the gun, tell them you need the gun(s) taken off your permit as they are sold to a dealer (aka you need an amendment to your permit info) , hand over the permit and receipt, pay the fee and take your permit back when handed to you, check the back and make sure the amendment is correct before you walk out.
OR
-b. Transfer the pistol(s) to a FFL holder - This is what most people want to do , is get their guns to their new "firearm friendly" state of residence. You are not supposed to just throw it in the moving truck and go. You can, but according to the NCPD info above, it is illegal. SO here is what you do legally:
(this is a long one): Make sure you do this while your permit is NOT expired. Locate & Contact an FFL near your new place of residence in the new state (can look up gun shops or FFLs in the area), explain to them you are moving and you want to know the cost of firearms transfers and if they will hold the gun(s) for you until you get to the state and are able to pick up the guns from them. (many of them will hold the guns for free if its less than 30 days, they may ask you for a valid state ID or Driver License, picture of your current valid pistol permit sent prior so they know all this is legit. Once you find one with a good price, Get the contact info for this FFL in your new state (a phone number, email address, location address, contact person and the name of the business).
THEN contact a NY FFL (gun store) [NY gun shops/ FFLs charge like 3x more for these transfers-per gun] Once you find one within your budget , take your guns you want to transfer to them, inform them that the guns will be transferred to an FFL outside of NY state. Give them all the information for the FFL in your new state. (The NY FFL will contact the out of state FFL for their FFL license info - the two of them will work all that info exchange out). The NY FFL (gun dealer) will have you fill out transfer paperwork (per firearm) that will ask for your permit #, name, address, make/model, caliber/serial #, etc. Once the paperwork is done, they will give you a receipt with all the transfer info of the guns they have taken possession of, this receipt will have your name and permit # on it along with the make/model,caliber, serial # for all the guns you transferred to them (aka "legally disposed of", aka no longer in your possession and gone out of NY state) STEP #2:
take that dealer receipt along with your permit to the NCPD pistol permit section within 10 days of the day you transferred the pistol(s), tell them you need the gun(s) taken off your permit as they are transferred to a dealer (aka you need an amendment to your permit info) , hand over the permit and transfer receipt, pay the fee and take your permit back when handed to you, check the back and make sure the amendment is correct and their are no pistols on it anymore before you walk out. You are not required in Nassau county (at least) to have a pistol in order to hold a permit, and you have not moved at this point so you are still a resident.(aka you dont have to give up your permit that day).
Good idea to keep in contact with the FFL in the new state and alert them of when you transferred the guns to the NY FFL and when you will be arriving in the new state, getting your new ID, etc to keep them in the loop as they are holding your guns for you.
In most cases in a "firearm friendly" state a state ID (non driver ID) or a Driver License for that state will do as proof of residency and ID to pick up your guns from the FFL you transferred them to. They will run a background check on you on the spot (of course-same as done in NY), If all comes back OK, they will transfer your guns back to you on the spot, pay them and your done. Best to keep your guns in a locked box while transporting until you get home until you get a Weapons Carry permit from that state (or a permit from a state that state recognizes).(check your local laws in the new state)
You now got your "stuff" back and also "legally disposed" of them as far as NY & Nassau County is concerned. Nassau and NYS knows you "legally disposed" of the pistols you had according to their 2 part description above.

c. Transfer to a family member - NOTE this family member must also have A valid NYS pistol permit. You cant just transfer it to a family member who doesnt have a permit. Also you both must show up in person to the dealer who can do the transfer. Once complete - you take the dealer receipt showing the transfer was made to the NCPD pistol permit section along with your license and have the amendment completed.

d and e. - Basically the same deal as c. Gunsmiths usually have FFLs in NY and you mainly are transferring the guns to these people, they give you paperwork to fill out, a "dealer receipt" shows their FFL license # on it, all their business info and all your permit info, all the guns info on it , along with the date ,etc . You make sure all the info on it is correct and get your butt to the NCPD with this receipt and your valid permit within 10 days of it.

Now I dont know it thats 10 business days or just 10 days...I would not chance it and just make sure its within 10 days flat out.

Hope this helps.

For NYC the rules could be different as you also need to account for rifles, shotguns and pistols as they are all tracked on your permits. Also the amount of time between you transferring the firearm and the time to get to the permit sections may be shorter than 10 days.

For NY SAFE ACT stuff - aka "registered assault weapons" in NYS - you must also be sure to go to the website and download a form they use to know the weapons have been sent out of NY state. They currently ask for the person's name and address of the "transferred to" person (in this case its still you, yet at a new address out of NYS). This currently cannot be done online, but you can get the form at their website using the "transfer, disposal or loss" form. Then Mail it (yes, with a stamp) to the address on the form. USE 1 FORM PER Weapon.. meaning 2 "assault guns" = 2 forms to fill out.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Thank you for spending the time doing this. I erroneously assumed that getting a FL permit and driving with your weapons would be sufficient.

What this tells me is that the NYS Pistol Registration scheme has real consequences and expenses that affect all law abiding pistol owners.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thank you for spending the time doing this. I erroneously assumed that getting a FL permit and driving with your weapons would be sufficient.

What this tells me is that the NYS Pistol Registration scheme has real consequences and expenses that affect all law abiding pistol owners.
you are very welcome...I searched ALL OVER the internet and got so many half baked answers. The process I outlined is 100% correct regarding NYS Nassau county permits. I am going to take an educated guess that NYC and suffolk are similar but may have different time lines....NYC Im certain will allow less time between the transfer to the FFL and time they allow you to get an amendment to your permit and the may have some other steps or forms involved ...but 1 thing is for sure you are NOT supposed to just say "F this" and leave without removing these firearms from your permit (aka your "legal possession" as far as the police are concerned) , it just creates a legal record that you disposed of the firearms and if you let your permit expire or hand it back or mail it back or whatever...NYC or NYS will never question you on what happened to those guns we last knew you had in our state.
Your permit will be clear and free of any firearms , meaning they(NY) knows you dont have any in their state. So you and "they" are all good with each other.
Plus if for any reason you end up back in NY , you are clear to apply for a permit again and will most likely get it.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
you are very welcome...I searched ALL OVER the internet and got so many half baked answers. The process I outlined is 100% correct regarding NYS Nassau county permits. I am going to take an educated guess that NYC and suffolk are similar but may have different time lines....NYC Im certain will allow less time between the transfer to the FFL and time they allow you to get an amendment to your permit and the may have some other steps or forms involved ...but 1 thing is for sure you are NOT supposed to just say "F this" and leave without removing these firearms from your permit (aka your "legal possession" as far as the police are concerned) , it just creates a legal record that you disposed of the firearms and if you let your permit expire or hand it back or mail it back or whatever...NYC or NYS will never question you on what happened to those guns we last knew you had in our state.
Your permit will be clear and free of any firearms , meaning they(NY) knows you dont have any in their state. So you and "they" are all good with each other.
Plus if for any reason you end up back in NY , you are clear to apply for a permit again and will most likely get it.
You have options, it is not illegal to transport legally owned firearms to a gun friendly state. You are just following policy and not law. Best of Luck.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You have options, it is not illegal to transport legally owned firearms to a gun friendly state. You are just following policy and not law. Best of Luck.
That may be, yet many people want to know how to do this and steer clear of any issue. The transporting legally may be the easier part but how NYS expects you to "legally dispose" of the firearm according to them was the target info.
If you dont follow this and move to a gun friendly state, then move back to NYS for whatever reason...and you dont do this and follow those steps , the luck you will need is whether they choose to charge you or not, or just never being able to legally own a gun in NYS again.
Better to do it the "right" way and steer clear of the potential BS.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
That may be, yet many people want to know how to do this and steer clear of any issue. The transporting legally may be the easier part but how NYS expects you to "legally dispose" of the firearm according to them was the target info.
If you dont follow this and move to a gun friendly state, then move back to NYS for whatever reason...and you dont do this and follow those steps , the luck you will need is whether they choose to charge you or not, or just never being able to legally own a gun in NYS again.
Better to do it the "right" way and steer clear of the potential BS.
You can’t be charged for a policy. Many licensed gun owners have simply mailed back the pistol license without an issue. No law is broken.

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Why even spend 55 cents and the time to write the fascists at 1PP ? Just let it expire.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts