Long Island Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gone to bigger and better place out of NYS. what do I do with my Nassau county pistol license? do I just cut it up or do I send it back to Nassau Pistol division ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
This from the latest version of the Nassau County Pistol License Section Handbook

https://www.pdcn.org/DocumentCenter/View/113

Regards and congrats ------------------

H. HOW TO CANCEL YOUR OWN PISTOL LICENSE

In order to cancel a Nassau County Pistol License, a licensee MUST do all of the following:

1. Legally dispose of the firearm(s) listed on the license (see Chapter 3, Section B "Selling Or Disposing Of A Firearm");

2. Return the license to the NCPD Pistol License Section; and

3. Present documentation to the Pistol License Section of the lawful disposition of all firearms.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
This from the latest version of the Nassau County Pistol License Section Handbook

https://www.pdcn.org/DocumentCenter/View/113

Regards and congrats ------------------

H. HOW TO CANCEL YOUR OWN PISTOL LICENSE

In order to cancel a Nassau County Pistol License, a licensee MUST do all of the following:

1. Legally dispose of the firearm(s) listed on the license (see Chapter 3, Section B "Selling Or Disposing Of A Firearm");

2. Return the license to the NCPD Pistol License Section; and

3. Present documentation to the Pistol License Section of the lawful disposition of all firearms.
I would simply write a letter advising of your new address, asking them to update your information.... a court case a few years ago ordered that NYS licenses can be issued to non-residents...

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,861 Posts
I would simply write a letter advising of your new address, asking them to update your information.... a court case a few years ago ordered that NYS licenses can be issued to non-residents...
If you wish to keep your NY License, do as advised above. If you don't wish to keep your license active, you CAN do nothing, which might bite you should you ever go back to NY and apply, or you can write them a letter stating that you and your handguns are permanently removed from NYS and you are cancelling your license, send the license back marked void if you so choose. NYS's power only extends to the borders of NYS, no matter what THEY think

·
Registered
11,489 Posts
I remember seeing a former New York resident that moved to Georgia and requested that his license which is lifetime to include his new address. The judge agreed to his request. I know every county is different, it is a state license.
Every county will have it's own policy for a part time non resident.

·
Registered
26,125 Posts
If you wish to keep your NY License, do as advised above. If you don't wish to keep your license active, you CAN do nothing, which might bite you should you ever go back to NY and apply, or you can write them a letter stating that you and your handguns are permanently removed from NYS and you are cancelling your license, send the license back marked void if you so choose. NYS's power only extends to the borders of NYS, no matter what THEY think
Once you are out be thankful and never return.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
I remember seeing a former New York resident that moved to Georgia and requested that his license which is lifetime to include his new address. The judge agreed to his request. I know every county is different, it is a state license.
Every county will have it's own policy for a part time non resident.
A counties' "policy" doesn't supersede state law, or Court decisions.

·
Registered
11,489 Posts
A counties' "policy" doesn't supersede state law, or Court decisions.
It was case law regarding Part Time residence. New York has given Non residents a pistol license when they have a business in the state. Only one county in upstate was issuing to residents from a Pennsylvania County if they owned property in the county.
We haven't seen a former Nassau or Suffolk resident chime in to say I got to keep my license when they move to a different state. The Part Time License requires a bit more to satisfy their requirements.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
How do you present documentation of lawful disposition of the firearms when you only moved to a free state? With your guns.
Maybe just a picture of you with your guns at the range in your new state smiling from ear to ear?
That should be good enough proof.

Reactions: TJ Ironhorse

·
Registered
7,371 Posts
How do you present documentation of lawful disposition of the firearms when you only moved to a free state? With your guns.
Maybe just a picture of you with your guns at the range in your new state smiling from ear to ear?
If the state you're moving to requires a license to possess a handgun probably a license from that state. If it doesn't probably a reference to the section of the state law that says a license isn't required.

·
Registered
320 Posts
If the state you're moving to requires a license to possess a handgun probably a license from that state. If it doesn't probably a reference to the section of the state law that says a license isn't required.
Your thinking too NY like. Most states don't require a license of any kind to purchase or open carry a handgun.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,861 Posts
You don't need to do anything to "Prove" you and your property are now removed from NYS- The onus is on THEM to prove you did not. They will check up on you, it is easy enough

·
Registered
816 Posts
I just moved to Pennsylvania. I got to keep my NY License as I still own a residence in NY.

·
Registered
11,489 Posts
I just moved to Pennsylvania. I got to keep my NY License as I still own a residence in NY.
Was their any requirements from the county to prove you fulfilled the Part-Time requirement. I know their was a member from the gun club who moved to Florida and they wouldn't allow him to keep his license.

·
Registered
201 Posts
An acquaintance of mine moved out of NY, sold his home and bought another in a nearby state. He claims to be living with his daughter on LI and has kept his pistol permit. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
11,489 Posts
An acquaintance of mine moved out of NY, sold his home and bought another in a nearby state. He claims to be living with his daughter on LI and has kept his pistol permit. Any thoughts on this?
Which County, Nassau or Suffolk?

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Proper documentation? These guys are delusional. You moved, and took YOUR PROPERTY with you. End of story.
Returning your license marked void is courtesy enough.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts