Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

· Pistol Expert
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Roy Rogers plans expansion on Long Island

August 4, 2015 by DAVID REICH-HALE. Special to Newsday / [email protected]

Roy Rogers, once an immensely popular fast food chain that blanketed the mid-Atlantic with hundreds of locations, is back in expansion mode, and its co-president said Long Island is a prime market for growth.
Jim Plamondon, co-president of Roy Rogers Franchise Co. in Frederick, Maryland, said the chain has had discussions with prospective franchise owners on Long Island.
"I would love to be there," Plamondon said. "We would like to find a franchise owner because the local owner is going to have a much better understanding of the market."
He said the cost to open a new restaurant is about $1.3 million to $1.5 million, but that the cost could be half that if an existing, vacant fast food structure is used.
Roy Rogers, which once had nearly 650 locations, has 49 stores after opening a new restaurant in Franklin, New Jersey. Of the 49 stores, 26 are franchise-owned, and the rest are corporate-owned.
Roy Rogers Franchise Co. manages the franchise restaurants and also owns the Roy Rogers trademark, while Plamondon Enterprises Inc. operates the company-run stores.
Both are run by Plamondon and his brother, Pete Plamondon Jr.
Roy Rogers was created in 1968 by the Marriott Corp., and was bought by Hardee's in 1990. Plamondon said the acquirer planned to convert Roy Rogers to Hardee's, but stopped once the early conversions failed.
Many of the New York area Roy Rogers stores were then sold off to other chains, including Wendy's and Burger King.
Plamondon, whose family owned Roy Rogers franchises, purchased the Roy Rogers franchising rights and brand name in 2002.
"At that time there were about 80 Roy Rogers locations left, and we intentionally shrunk it further," he said. "We pruned the entire system, but now we are back in growth mode."
Plamondon said the chain would like to expand by two to six stores per year for the next five years.
Other stores in Maryland and New Jersey are scheduled to open later this year.

· Lousy Shot
16,177 Posts
The last one I remember was on William Floydd Pkwy. just off Sunrise Hwy. It closed just a couple years ago and now it's a Popeye's. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. It can't pay for a delivery truck to go all the way out there just for one restaurant.

I liked them better than most other fast food. With the free fixin's, bar you could make a side salad.
(Not that I would, but you could. Heh, ... like I would ever eat a salad. Good one.)

I guess they sanitized the place of all the gun analogies. Fries came in a holster. I'm sure anybody close to my age remembers the names of his horse and dog.

Yeah, they were stuffed and displayed in a museum.

I have no idea who that guy is. Why didn't they just stuff Roy and Dale and put 'em along side?

· Banned
17,097 Posts
The last one I remember was on William Floydd Pkwy. just off Sunrise Hwy. It closed just a couple years ago and now it's a Popeye's. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. It can't pay for a delivery truck to go all the way out there just for one restaurant.

I liked them better than most other fast food. With the free fixin's, bar you could make a side salad.
(Not that I would, but you could. Heh, ... like I would ever eat a salad. Good one.)

I guess they sanitized the place of all the gun analogies. Fries came in a holster. I'm sure anybody close to my age remembers the names of his horse and dog.
A large fries was called a 'holster of fries"

· Sharp Shooter!
3,914 Posts
Awesome bisquits as well. Always had to stop at the William Floyd location for my fix when in the neighbor hood. Now I'm friggin hungry again Damn it. Except for that "Steak" notation from our resident Cowgirl. Lol

· moved to greener pastures
10,824 Posts
This could be a new part-time job for me at $15 an hour!! I was a Cowgirl back in 1980 so I can say I have experience

Their food was the best when it came to fast food but you really don't want to know what that "steak" was
(trust me)
A cowgirl?
You?
Thanks for the material.
Squirrels are out! Cowgirls are in!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.