Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out what not to buy for my AR. So far just a new trigger, very inexpensive scope (which if it doesn't work out will go on a .22), and a cheek piece for the stock.

What did you buy/try that wasn't worth the time, money or effort?

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
I know you are asking what not to buy, but my purchases and builds are generally well researched, so I don't have too many regrets. As far as what you should get, Im a big proponent of buy once with optics. That doesn't necessarily mean I am breaking the bank, but I totally avoid cheapo glass and dots. If using a red dot, get the Primary Arms micro dot, amazing value for an awesome red dot. If using a traditional scope, look at the Redfield line. Manufactured by Leupold but for alot less money. I recently got a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 for a Marlin 336, accurange reticle, really nice scope. On all my non bench ars i add a magpul handstop, not the entire thing, just the big nub, mounted on the left side of the handguard. Works great for comfortable and repeatable hand placement and can also be used as a barricade/wall rest if doing run and gun. Best sling I have found is the blue force gear vickers sling, great for carrying with rifle at rest, slides right open for shouldering, definitely recommend, especially for those utilizing a sling while firing.

Before anything else, what is your intended use for your AR? Benchrest, run and gun, home defense, etc?

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
I did my research, and watched reviews.. Didn't buy cheap crap and I have been very happy... The only thing I would change is the rings for my mark 4.. Would have purchased a larue mount.. But that's still an option.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Make sure you mount the scope with a mount for the AR. I tried using Burris tactical rings, but the scope was mounted too far back for proper cheek weld / eye relief.
I also mounted a Harris bipod to the hand guard of my non-free floated 20-inch barrel. I think the pressure of leaning into the bi-pod in the prone position actually decreases accuracy.....it shoots better resting on a sand bag.

·
Sharp Shooter!
3,914 Posts
I know you are asking what not to buy, but my purchases and builds are generally well researched, so I don't have too many regrets. As far as what you should get, Im a big proponent of buy once with optics. That doesn't necessarily mean I am breaking the bank, but I totally avoid cheapo glass and dots. If using a red dot, get the Primary Arms micro dot, amazing value for an awesome red dot. If using a traditional scope, look at the Redfield line. Manufactured by Leupold but for alot less money. I recently got a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 for a Marlin 336, accurange reticle, really nice scope. On all my non bench ars i add a magpul handstop, not the entire thing, just the big nub, mounted on the left side of the handguard. Works great for comfortable and repeatable hand placement and can also be used as a barricade/wall rest if doing run and gun. Best sling I have found is the blue force gear vickers sling, great for carrying with rifle at rest, slides right open for shouldering, definitely recommend, especially for those utilizing a sling while firing.

Before anything else, what is your intended use for your AR? Benchrest, run and gun, home defense, etc?
Point of interest concerning the Redfield line of scopes. The Revolution is the only model(I believe) made in the USA, the others are manufactured in the Philippines. They all seem to be very fine scopes.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"Before anything else, what is your intended use for your AR? Benchrest, run and gun, home defense, etc?"

Mostly benchrest plus offhand at the range and some pesky critters when I go to Idaho to visit friends. Not going to do run and gun, too complicated to maneuver the walker and the gun. (Not really on a walker but I really don't have an interest in doing that.)

For home defense my pistols and a scatter gun are my primary defense weapons. The way the house and property is laid out, there really is no place for anything long range or even medium range. For close up work my .357 and 9mms should do the job; 00 buckshot if they're coming down the hall to the bedroom; and if I need to reach out and touch someone I've got a lot more confidence in my ability to hit with my Swiss K31 than with an AR at the present time. I need a lot more range time with that little honey.

I went for a Ncstar xrs Series 2-7 x 32 Compact Scope Ill. Mil-Dot scope for about a hundred bucks, which I could afford at present (it got pretty good reviews on Amazon and a couple of people on a couple of gun forums endorsed it for 100 yard "light" range work. Like I said, if it's not any good I've got a Ruger 10/22 that needs a scope and I'll put it on that and look for something better.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
don't buy cheap optics, that is for sure, I remember one time I bought a scope that looked so cool for a "great price" basically I had to zero it in every time I went to the range. lesson learned, I now buy Nikon BDC scopes, not the best but good and don't break the bank. as far as regrets in purchased items, that would be for me, either the hammerhead or the spur when doing my SAFE conversion, The thordsen, although hideous, gives me the most control over the rifle, but this is just my opinion

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
One of my most favorite parts on my AR is my ambi bolt release. I also LOVE the magpul angled ford grip. It's by far one of my most favorite accessories. I have one of 3 of my guns lol. And all my ARs, I upgraded the charging handle release. It's a cheap 6$ (on eBay) part, and it makes everything easier.

Things I don't use:
Red dot sight (I became really fond of glass, I got a leaupold 3x9-40)
Single point sling (the gun drags so damn low, it's stupid IMO)
Flashlight (bought a 140$ flashlight that is cool, but only used it 1x playing Rambo)
10/30 round mags ( I'm all for looks, and they look sweet in photo ops, but they are stupid)

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
"Before anything else, what is your intended use for your AR? Benchrest, run and gun, home defense, etc?"

Mostly benchrest plus offhand at the range and some pesky critters when I go to Idaho to visit friends. Not going to do run and gun, too complicated to maneuver the walker and the gun. (Not really on a walker but I really don't have an interest in doing that.)

For home defense my pistols and a scatter gun are my primary defense weapons. The way the house and property is laid out, there really is no place for anything long range or even medium range. For close up work my .357 and 9mms should do the job; 00 buckshot if they're coming down the hall to the bedroom; and if I need to reach out and touch someone I've got a lot more confidence in my ability to hit with my Swiss K31 than with an AR at the present time. I need a lot more range time with that little honey.

I went for a Ncstar xrs Series 2-7 x 32 Compact Scope Ill. Mil-Dot scope for about a hundred bucks, which I could afford at present (it got pretty good reviews on Amazon and a couple of people on a couple of gun forums endorsed it for 100 yard "light" range work. Like I said, if it's not any good I've got a Ruger 10/22 that needs a scope and I'll put it on that and look for something better.
Save for an optic.. Your gonna regret buying that crap quickly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.