Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today I took my gun to the range for the fist time. I'm very happy with it, and did well without a sight/scope. Now I'm left with what kind of scope to get. The top is tapped for a rail/scope. Suggestions? I'm not looking to go insane here, but I don't want cheap either. Suggestions and reasons why please!

·
Noncompliant
2,068 Posts
What's it's primary use? Hunting? Home defense?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Home defense. It may eventually be used otherwise, but for now, home defense and occasional range trips.

*I was also thinking about adding a laser on. There any sights with this built in since I already have a flashlight in the forend?

·
Noncompliant
2,068 Posts
TBO I think your best bet would be to either stick with the bead, maybe get a big dot. I put a meprolight tritium dot on mine, I like it, but the light is the most important thing on the shotgun.... after buckshot.

If you really want some kind of optic, the Bushnell trs-25 red dot gets great reviews and is a decent price at around 90-100 bucks. I just put one on my AK but haven't taken it out yet.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Home defense shotgun:

Forend light

Tritium bead front sight.

At HD distances you'd be hard pressed to find a sight faster than a bead sight that glows like a tritium bead in low light conditions.

For mossberg meprolight makes a tritium bead that fits. Big dots fit the remmy beads.

·
Patience
1,751 Posts
For HD a scope or red dot is overkill on the distances you are talking about.
Load up with #4.
Pattern the shotgun at Brookhaven so you know how the shot will spread out at various distances.

Simple point and defend if it comes to that.

Gun handling is a skill that expires if you don't practice it regularly.
Fortunately it is hard to miss with a shotgun.

·
Registered
952 Posts
For red dot - High end, go could go for a Aimpoint Micro H-1 - very small and nice on shotguns.

For a little less $$ you could go with a Aimpoint comp ml 2 or ml3. They are a little bigger, but real nice.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
You don't need a laser.

If you want one get one. But you totally don't need a laser.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I shall keep that in mind, I like the Bushnell so far, that's in my price range. Just need to know what rail/mount to get.

If I were to get a laser, where should I mount it and what should I get?

·
Noncompliant
2,068 Posts
Keep in mind that a laser is really only meant to help in certain situations when you can't get a sight picture. It is much faster to look down the barrel and put the bead on target rather than aiming, finding where the laser is hitting, and adjusting your aim.

·
Registered
540 Posts
He wants some tacticool, nothing wrong with a little shotgun bling.

Add a rail on the reciever. Its already drilled and tapped for one. Grab a red dot sight you can get them for under 100$.

Before all that I would add a tritium bead, and a flashlight to the forend. I wouldnt go with less than 200 lumens on the light.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It already has a flashlight built into the forend. I was just wondering what rail would be best to mount the red-dot sight (Bushnell trs-25).

·
Noncompliant
2,068 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
If you have the eotech or insight forend I would sell it. They are severely underpowered, and bulky. They function well but thats about it.120 lumens is nothing

Grab yourself a tri rail forend with magpul covers and a 200+ lumen light and mount.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I'm leaving the light alone, for now. It works well for what my purpose is at the current time, I may consider the upgrade in the future and do appreciate the suggestion. Right now I just want to get the "right" rail and that Bushnell sight on so I can dial in and be accurate to a decent degree.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Just sayin you can get a better forend, covers, and light and havr money left over those insight forends are going for over 200 $

Just get a pitcanny rail for a 500. Pretty simple.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts