Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mossberg Remington 870 Barrel and 3-9x32 Scope Combo 12 Gauge 24" Fully Rifled Barrel Matte Blued Finish 92356

I am looking at buying the barrel above for deer hunting. I know that purchasing a better scope is highly recommended. My question is that since this is my first hunting season (hopefully of many and I have to start buying gear from scratch) would this scope hold up and be usable for at least a season or 2.

Not sure if this topic should be under hunting or shotguns, so please forgive me if this is the wrong spot.

Thanks again!

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
21,922 Posts
There's only one way to find out: Buy a case of slugs and shoot the crap out of it!
Every 10 or so shots do the square test on the scope. The video is for rifle but applies to everything:

If the scope survives half a case of slugs you're good to go.

PS: Kidding about the case of slugs, you'll be OK with only half a case...

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
I have a cantilevered Mossberg fully rifled barrel using a 4 power Bushnell Dusk to Dawn scope I purchased 15 years ago.
I've had no problems with the barrel or scope. I used 3" Winchester Supreme Sabot and cheaper 1 oz slugs .
It makes a perfect combo gun.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So i ordered the scope/ barrel and I also ordered the 18.5 barrel for HD. I held off on the mag extension for now. I am trying to find out what is needed to do when I go hunting. If I have the mag extension on, i know I could just use a longer dowel but if I decide to remove the extension for hunting can I just reuse the stock parts? I tried looking it up and a few responses were from a few years ago saying to order other/older parts?

·
Premium Member
4,060 Posts
I have a cantilever barrel for my 870 and shoot hornady SST sabots. at 100yards i have some really tight groups with it. but it kicks like a mule. i used it for the first 3 hunting season and then bought a marlin 30-06. the 870 is a good way to get into hunting, i do not regret it. i had the rifled barel for deer and smooth barrel for turkey, one gun for everything.

i would leave the mag extention at home. no need for it. plus it will make a heavy set up even heavier to carry. my 870 with the cantilever barrel, scope, and loaded, was a pain to carry around.

as far as scopes go. i never had luck with the scope that came with a rifle. my marlin X7 i had replaced the scope twice under warranty before buying one with a name brand on it. my 870 scope i replaced once. factory scopes especially if they have no brand marked on them are a great freebie to start with but be ready to replace it. but that was my own experience

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
So i ordered the scope/ barrel and I also ordered the 18.5 barrel for HD. I held off on the mag extension for now. I am trying to find out what is needed to do when I go hunting. If I have the mag extension on, i know I could just use a longer dowel but if I decide to remove the extension for hunting can I just reuse the stock parts? I tried looking it up and a few responses were from a few years ago saying to order other/older parts?
Dowel is only for waterfowl hunting, I believe. Should be on DEC website.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Have you considered the Nikon Slughunter scope. It comes w/ a lifetime warranty.
You can use the stock mag tube for hunting, as there is a limit to the number (5) of rounds you are allowed to carry in a rifle/shotgun for hunting. Therefore the extended mag tube is a no-go for hunting.
(I only load my rifle with 3 rounds (holds 5). If you didn't get it w/ the first two shots- it's usually gone. )
You'll soon realize that the less you carry- the more likely you'll travel further & less fatigued.
Good luck & be safe

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The shotgun is going to be used for a few different purposes. I like the fact that you can change the barrels so when I am home itll be home defense with the 18.5 barrel. Then i would swap the barrels depending on what I am hunting. I have seen the nikon slughunter and will probably pick one up eventually. This is going to be my first season and starting from scratch is pretty expensive. I was hoping the scope would be ok for at least a season or 2 before I go and upgrade it. My wife and I are expecting our first child this october so I am trying to limit the costs for now.

If i decide to get the extension and put it on when I am using it as home defense can I just take it off and use the stock parts or do i need to buy something additional to make it stock once I remove those dimples.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Congrats to you and your wife on your first child

This guy has already removed the dimples on the stock mag tube on the synthetic stock 870 & running the stock mag tube before the conversion.
(I think Remington incorporated the dimples on the stock mag tube as a safety feature in case the screw-on end cap should come loose the mag spring wouldn't come flying out.)
Check out this video & the reply in the comment section.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.