Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinking of getting a mosin for some fun plinking ( aside from the 22 ) and wondered - just how accurate are they at 200+yards with iron's or an attached scope ? Can you expect a decent grouping / comparable to a M1A ?

·
Registered
972 Posts
Depends on what you get. A junk mosin is just that. For $100 you take a chance. Best chance is going somewhere you can hand select. If you find a gem it'll shoot just fine. They were issued as sniper rifles so man sized targets at 200+ is definately doable. Sub moa groups mat not be. Especially if shooting 60 year old spam can ammo. Fun is in trying though. My mosin shot great at 100 yards, pie plate groups but fun.

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
Almost any rifle is as accurate as the shooter. Mosin irons are notoriously sucky. If you take the time to learn how to shoot with them you should have no problems hitting anything man sized at 200+.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Like anything that is 60+ years old, it depends what you get. I picked up my first Mosin this past winter and thoroughly enjoy the hell out of it. Some are pieced together from various parts and some are numbers matching originals (bolt and receiver). The biggest thing to look for/ roll the dice on is how good the condition of the rifling is (some are very worn, some are great) and the crowning. Some rifle have been cut and a new crown machined on the end and other are..........well, just plain worn out.

I bought mine mail order and lucked out; numbers match, good condition, nice rifling and good crowing. It's a lot of fun to shoot...........for a while........ Your shoulder is usually the first to tell you when to put it down. :X

·
Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?
11,589 Posts
Mad Russian said:
Almost any rifle is as accurate as the shooter. Mosin irons are notoriously sucky. If you take the time to learn how to shoot with them you should have no problems hitting anything man sized at 200+.
:yepthat

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
i have an "unissued"  finnish m39 that is supposed to be the "ultimate" in the mosin family. Well the mosin nagant  i have will out shoot that m39 all day long! for the $110 i spent on it im very impressed and very surprised at how accurate this gun is!

·
Husband, Father, Chef, Gun Guy
1,359 Posts
Actually building my Scout Rifle now...should be done in a few weeks.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
How much '+' on the '200+'? At 200 yards, even a bad mosin should have no problem hitting a man sized target... But beyond that you'll need a decent to excellent one to do well.

I suggest adding a scout scope if you don't mind blemishing the historical value. It won't make the rifle more accurate, but it will make you more accurate.

·
Banned
6,853 Posts
AkunaMatata said:
How much '+' on the '200+'? At 200 yards, even a bad mosin should have no problem hitting a man sized target... But beyond that you'll need a decent to excellent one to do well.

I suggest adding a scout scope if you don't mind blemishing the historical value. It won't make the rifle more accurate, but it will make you more accurate.
Or you could go with a PU setup.

·
115:5
4,036 Posts
Also depends on what you feed it. My first Mosin Nagant would shoot 16-20" groups at 100 yards with the ammo I bought when I got the rifle. It was a rough made, mid war sample. I figured it was either just poorly made or worn out. Shooting it wasn't very fun considering, so that first batch of ammo lasted many years.

When it finally ran out I bought more mystery surplus ammo. I watched a friend shoot near one inch groups with that same rifle. :hmmm So who knows.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.