Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't know where to put this.

http://longisland.news12.com/news/more-school-zone-speed-cameras-running-1.9317348

MERRICK - More speed cameras went live today in several Long Island school districts.

Nassau County is in the process of installing at least one mobile or fixed speed camera in each school district. The county issued a statement to News 12 Long Island saying more cameras are coming.

MacArthur High School in Levittown, Island Trees Middle School in Levittown and Cantiague Elementary School in Jericho are among the new camera locations. In North Merrick, a mobile speed camera truck was parked in front of Fayette Elementary on Merrick Avenue.

Reactions: C6NY

·
Registered
26,282 Posts
They are freakin everywhere. I never realized how many schools I pass by on a daily basis. I have taken alternate routes only to find ANOTHER school. This is going to be a gold mine for the counties. I do not suppose there is a politician with any guts to stop this highway (sorry for the pun) robbery,

·
Registered
622 Posts
"This is going to be a gold mine for the counties".

Add this money to your new property tax increase from Nassau and it is more than a gold mine. Oh but wait, we'll get our money back from the State?!?!

·
Premium Member
3,586 Posts
I thought it was 1 per district? I think Hicksville has 2-3 now.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
sorry guys, I have zero sympathy for the transgressors. and I will sue when you rear-end my truck's trailer hitch as I slow to 20 or stop at red lights. I wish they could start doing this at stop signs as well.

Reactions: BLAMMO

·
Registered
589 Posts
20MPH is just stupid slow. It's like watching paint dry.
"It's for the children..."

Try and go 20 MPH anywhere on LI and see how long until you're run off the road. This has nothing to do with safety. Follow the money.

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
"This is going to be a gold mine for the counties".

Add this money to your new property tax increase from Nassau and it is more than a gold mine. Oh but wait, we'll get our money back from the State?!?!
I used to think it was better that they were getting the money from people breaking traffic laws instead of my taxes, but then my taxes went up, I believe there are as many cops on the payroll as ever, and I got bagged several times by a light that was changed from 6 seconds to 4 seconds.(Brush Hollow and JTPK)

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
sorry guys, I have zero sympathy for the transgressors. and I will sue when you rear-end my truck's trailer hitch as I slow to 20 or stop at red lights. I wish they could start doing this at stop signs as well.
You sound confident that this will cause accidents. I always said the solution to car accidents was more car accidents.

·
Premium Member
3,586 Posts
They can have as many cameras as they want but there only supposed to have one active at a time.
So I take it we have to just assume they're being honest that only 1 is active....apparently we are as dumb as they think because no one fights this.

Why did the boston tea party happen again?

·
Banned
6,050 Posts
The cameras piss me off, but I am deriving pleasure from watching people swerve around me, curse me out, then get a ticket. I can't help but have a smug grin on my face when I catch up to them at the next light. The worst part is that I don't look directly at them. I just look straight ahead and grin. I'm such a jerk.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
They admitted they are doing it for money, and not safety. Something like 25 Million annually they expect. Money Grab, MONEY GRAB.

·
Banned
949 Posts
I thought the law said one per school district too. However, they are trying to play some game in Plainedge where they put one on a street in "Bethpage", Plainedge School District, and one in "N. Massapequa", which is also the Plainedge School District.

Calls made to the Nassau County Traffic Safety Board have not been returned.

I thought it was 1 per district? I think Hicksville has 2-3 now.

·
Premium Member
2,340 Posts
Just read this. Hahahahahaha

The costs of Nassau's new school speed camera program continue to mount. And that's just counting dollars, not political consequences of the initiative that has infuriated hundreds of county motorists.
Nassau already lost more than $2 million in anticipated revenue when County Executive Edward Mangano dismissed nearly 40,000 tickets issued last month because of malfunctions in the program...

Reactions: rlitman

·
Banned
17,343 Posts
Well, I'm not too happy. I got 4 in 2 days.

Let this serve as a warning. Part of the area I cover is Lido Beach. There is a school speed zone right by Marvel on Lido Blvd. 3 lanes in each direction, it might as well be the LIE and the school has to be a 1/4 mile off the road. In all these years I never knew there was a school zone there.

2 trips in and out in 2 days for work. Lucky me, I also get a fine from my employer and written up for this.

So much for my near perfect record.

·
Premium Member
2,340 Posts
That sucks

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Well, I'm not too happy. I got 4 in 2 days.

Let this serve as a warning. Part of the area I cover is Lido Beach. There is a school speed zone right by Marvel on Lido Blvd. 3 lanes in each direction, it might as well be the LIE and the school has to be a 1/4 mile off the road. In all these years I never knew there was a school zone there.

2 trips in and out in 2 days for work. Lucky me, I also get a fine from my employer and written up for this.

So much for my near perfect record.
That would piss me off. I feel for you

1 - 20 of 70 Posts