Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just dropped in to my LGS here in WA state on a whim and what did I behold, on the bottom shelf, in the back, next to used Llamas, Astras and a Helwan, a Smith and Wesson 5906 (a gun I've been hunting for, for a couple of weeks!

Had it out of the case and it fit my hands better than the old one I had...maybe the difference is the Hogues on this one and the Pachs on my old one.

Price was good but the owner shaved a bit off as I'm a good customer and I walked out @ $335 including tax. (It's missing the right side safety lever, but I don't use that so it's no big loss.) Bore was fine, trigger very, very smooth in DA and light and crisp in SA. I be a happy camper.

One question, however...Serial number starts with TZV77** and I cannot find that in the list in the Standard Catalog. Anyone have any info as to what year this might have been made? It's got the Novak low mount rear sight and rounded trigger guard, so that means later production. I'll do more research, but I thought I try here.

To the range tomorrow.

I know, if no pics, it didn't happen. It really happened.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,902 Posts
Awesome find at a awesome price , could not pass that up ! Good eye !

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
I like the Smith 3rd gen pistols but I prefer mine DAO with no safety/decocking levers.

Reactions: vmtcmt

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The guys over at the S&W website have some info ..mostly process of elimination ... but here is a link to the thread ... http://smith-wessonf...-data-base.html
Thanks for that....but I be a bit of two-timer (three-timer, actually)....I belong to that forum and I posted there first. I also regularly read The High Road and the Browning Hi Power section of the 1911 forum. (Gunboards and SurplusRifle Forum are also on my read list.

·
Clinger
4,824 Posts
Thanks for that....but I be a bit of two-timer (three-timer, actually)....I belong to that forum and I posted there first. I also regularly read The High Road and the Browning Hi Power section of the 1911 forum. (Gunboards and SurplusRifle Forum are also on my read list.
LOL .. yeah ... I get around some as well...

·
Registered
5,873 Posts

Reactions: Redcoat3340

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you want a set of FREE factory grips, S&W had a problem with the original grips cracking if dropped and recalled the grips on a bunch of pistols. If you call S&W they will send you a free set, if they still have them in stock (I got 'em for two S&W pistols I own). All it takes is a phone call and I think they need the serial number of the gun.

Here's part of the recall text....you can find the S&W phone number via google.

SMITH & WESSON
MODEL 3904, 3906, 3913, 3913LS, 3914, 3914LS,
1006, 1066,
4506, 4516, 4516-1,
5903, 5904, 5906, 5946,
6904, 6906 & 6946, PISTOLS

RECALL: Smith & Wesson has shipped over 300,000 Third generation Pistols. We have had a very small number or reports where a dropped pistol resulted in a broken grip resulting in a failure to fire by releasing mainspring tension. Resultant testing and review have shown that a pistol dropped at a specific angle can cause a fracture of the grip.

It goes on...but you get the idea.

If you want more info on this....the interweds are your friend...simply google S&W grip recall.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts