Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I missed this, but this is excellent summary of new status. This is NOT the Corlett or now Bruen case. It is last yrs case that NYS and Cuomo monkeyed with…

Reactions: Gary_Hungerford

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
7,992 Posts
I was skepitical the video host had a clue, but this guy did a very good job explaining the case, its impact and procedural history.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Thank you for sharing- The “Armed Scholar” did a very well thoughtful and factual presentation.

Cases like this one, which clearly shows that NY and NYC try to grant petitioners’ a license in order to avoid any Court decision that undermines the existing licensing scheme, will help in NYSPRA vs Cortlett. In other words the Supreme Court will hopefully be less likely to narrowly tailor their decision or less likely to avoid making a broader decision.

In Cortlett, the Court could narrowly rule that the 2A rights of the two individuals seeking CVWs were violated and instruct NY State to re draft the licensing scheme. A narrow decision in support of the 2A could potentially have no effect on civilians getting CCWs in Nassau/Suffolk. The Court could also decide that NY has shown a pattern of avoiding any Court ruling that might correctly undermine the licensing scheme and hand down a broader decision that will prevent NY from further restricting gun laws and allow lawful and qualified gun owners to obtain a CCW.

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
6,436 Posts
There are many excellent points made here and, to my dismay, none of the attorneys, who were involved in the original case, made any of these arguments.
Gary

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
There are many excellent points made here and, to my dismay, none of the attorneys, who were involved in the original case, made any of these arguments.
Gary
As with the case last year that NYC was successful with. The petitioner only asked to take the pistol outside of NYC in a locked box unloaded to use upstate.
In this case, New York would have to remove good/proper cause, lift restrictions and issue the petitioner a full carry to moot the case. The case is being heard November 3. Let’s hope the ruling will make every state shall issue.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Hopefully NY's predictable conduct of making specific and narrow concessions to individuals in order to avoid being "stopped" by the courts will come up during oral arguments.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts