Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Go to Midway or Brownells and order the Wolff hammer spring. Not sure if this is what the video shows, I can't view the video now I'm on a WS without necessary codec.
No, guy polishes bolt face with stone, and then polishes the firing pin on the rear portion where it catches on bolt in order to extend firing pin protrusion past the bolt face.
He gets seven thousandths out of it.

·
Lousy Shot
16,177 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to just get a new firing pin spring?
I think Ruger will not sell replacement firing pins, and perhaps other bolt assembly components. If you break a firing pin, you have to send the bolt back to them. If you want a spare firing pin, you pretty much have to keep an extra bolt as a spare.

Also, Minis have a floating firing pin; no spring.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
The problem with removing material from the bolt face is you will be changing the headspace of the rifle, which raises the potential of a kB. It also raises the protrusion of the firing pin, which can cause pierced primers, again not something you want to happen. Look at the primer on russian ammo you have attempted to fire. If the primer is dimpled from the impact from the firing pin, the firing pin is doing its job properly, the problem lies in the amount of force that it is striking with. This can be corrected by adding an extra power hammer spring, as capt will said, https://www.gunsprings.com/Rifles%20%26%20Shotguns/RUGER/MINI%2014,%20MINI%2030,%20RANCH%20RIFLE/cID2/mID52/dID222 . This is also a pretty straight forward and simple thing to change, no crazy tooling or gauges necessary.

Anytime you are trying to solve a smithing problem, its best to have permanently altering main components toward the end of the list of fixes.

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The problem with removing material from the bolt face is you will be changing the headspace of the rifle, which raises the potential of a kB. It also raises the protrusion of the firing pin, which can cause pierced primers, again not something you want to happen. Look at the primer on russian ammo you have attempted to fire. If the primer is dimpled from the impact from the firing pin, the firing pin is doing its job properly, the problem lies in the amount of force that it is striking with. This can be corrected by adding an extra power hammer spring, as capt will said, https://www.gunsprings.com/Rifles%20%26%20Shotguns/RUGER/MINI%2014,%20MINI%2030,%20RANCH%20RIFLE/cID2/mID52/dID222 . This is also a pretty straight forward and simple thing to change, no crazy tooling or gauges necessary.

Anytime you are trying to solve a smithing problem, its best to have permanently altering main components toward the end of the list of fixes.
I think the headspace issue is why he didnt really remove any material from the bolt face. Mine is pretty smooth so it would really just be the polishing of the firing pin to gain another 5-7 thousandths. Im just not comfortable pulling it all apart and dont have the measuring devices to complete it.

·
Lousy Shot
16,177 Posts
I just checked and the Mini-14/30 manual lists the firing pin with an asterisk:

* PARTS SO MARKED MUST BE FACTORY FITTED

I would just call Ruger CS. I bet the worst thing they'll tell you is to send them your bolt assembly, they'll fit it with a new firing pin and your only cost will be one way shipping (if that) and 1-2 weeks loss of use.

·
Premium Member
11,465 Posts
Go with the spring upgrade first save yourself the money.

·
Premium Member
11,465 Posts
The 223 you have a wider range of ammo
The 7.62 x39 the ammo is limited and it has gone up a dit lately. Then you have the Mini in 300 blackout it really up to what you want to use the gun for.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
Would you guys buy a Ruger .223 over the mini 30 if you could do it over again ? I'm interested in getting a mini 30 myself but I never shot a Ruger mini in either caliber .
Featureless AR or Saiga.

Proven platforms for .223 and 7.62, many aftermarket parts, affordable, and not limited to expensive propriety mags.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.