Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Right-wing Sith
6,515 Posts
I just heard a brief announcement on ABC radio (770 AM) that military may be attempting a coup in Turkey.

I hope this news is true. The govt in Turkey has become increasingly Islamist in recent years. Whereas their military has had very close ties to the Western militaries. If the military returns to power, then Turkey can be a reliable ally in the war against Islamo-facist imperialism (aka World War III).

Early reports:

https://www.theguard...-gunfire-ankara

http://www.mirror.co...plosion-8431256

http://www.haaretz.c...turkey/1.731225

Reactions: NRATC53

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
I just heard a brief announcement on ABC radio (770 AM) that a military coup may be underway in Turkey.

I hope this news is true. The govt in Turkey has become increasingly Islamist in recent years. Whereas their military has had very close ties to the Western militaries. If the military returns to power, then Turkey can be a reliable ally in the war against Islamo-facist imperialism (aka World War III).
So we should root for the military I guess. I wasn't sure what to think.

·
Walker1847
12,106 Posts
Reports are coming in from Turkish sources that the Military has complete control - so far not independently confirmed.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,867 Posts
So we should root for the military I guess. I wasn't sure what to think.
But be careful, once that ball starts rolling,, it may not stop where you want it to...ask Trotsky

Reactions: rlitman

·
Right-wing Sith
6,515 Posts
But be careful, once that ball starts rolling,, it may not stop where you want it to...ask Trotsky
Very true.

But we do know the current political bosses have been becoming increasingly Islamist Fundamentalist. They have been purging the upper echelons of the military of some pro western types for years.

Historically, the Turkish military has had close ties with the US military.

Just as it was a good thing the Egyptian military overthrew the Islamic Brotherhood govt, I am hopeful about Turkey.

However, of course, we need to see how things go in the coming days.

Reactions: grifhunter

·
That Guy
11,504 Posts
My uncle was in the Marine due Korean War and fought along side some turks he said if he ever had to pick a Allie in a fight it would be the turks cause of their shear tenacity in combat. When he shipped back he gave his K-BAR to one of the turks and received his Turkish Gurkha as a symbol of friendship.

·
That Guy
11,504 Posts
By the way my uncle said the turks took trophies in combat.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Kemal Attaturk, the founder of Mondern Turkey believed in having religion play no part in the governance of the country. The Army in Turkey has historically come in and blown out the civilian leadership they though was trying to stray from that in the past, but the current President was able to keep them at bay for the past few years. Looks like his luck may have fun out.

Reactions: Mad Russian

·
Right-wing Sith
6,515 Posts
This is ultimate politics, which is force.

The Islamist President has called his supporters into the streets, which is a smart tactic. He knows the military will be reluctant to fire on civilians, even Islamist civilians.

I heard that the top military guy (allegedly loyal to the Islamist President) is being detained by supporters of the coup. If I were running the coup I would have him shot. Also, any other major pro-Islamist leader they get in custody should be shot. If they are not willing to do the necessary killing then the coup will fail.

In 1973 the military in Chile attacked and killed the Commie President. Once you start a coup, either do what you have to do or the coup will fail. If the coup leaders find out where President Erdogan is they should attack and kill him as soon as possible.

Both sides are claiming they are winning, which is to be expected, and since there are still reports of explosions and shooting in the capital it means the status of the coup is still up in the air.

P.S. Unfortunately, the current regime in Washington DC is friendly to Erdogan and I doubt is giving any assistance or support to the coup leaders.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Also keep in mind Turkey is a member of NATO. If the President asks for help he probably will get it. This coup can wind up becoming a war in southern Europe.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Erdagon is an islamist dirtbag. If enough of the military is in on this he is through. The history of modern Turkey is fascinating. I believe this would be the 4th coup since 1960.

Reactions: Mad Russian

·
Right-wing Sith
6,515 Posts
I stumbled on this:

https://www.stratfor...ill-likely-fail

Based on this analysis, it may be a rival Islamist group in the military that organized this coup attempt, NOT the secular pro-Western elements. If this is correct then the pro-Western forces in the military are helping crush this coup (in a "counter-coup"). I never heard of this rival Islamist faction, the Gulenists.

Regardless, if Erdogan is successful in crushing this coup he will use this situation to consolidate his power and further purge the military, and he is definitely no friend of the West.

If this coup attempt is merely a rival Islamist movement trying to take power then I hope the pro-Western forces see they need to restore stability by staging their own coup. There is nothing stable about radical Islamist regimes.

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
Now they will purge the ranks of any officers who were not fundamentalist Muslims and replace them with the Alahu Akbar types.

The Turkey is done, stick a fork in it...

·
That Guy
11,504 Posts
Remember the last coup failed but later caused a change in power and stability to Turkey so it aint over till it's over.

Reactions: iGreg

·
Right-wing Sith
6,515 Posts
Did Erdogan STAGE the coup?...
http://www.dailymail...vil-rights.html

OMG! Remember the Reichstag fire in Germany 1933?

It is interesting how calm Erdogan is. Also, there is a youtube out there of the head Army General (who was allegedly held hostage) and released. I saw that vid of the General calmly getting off a helicopter after he was allegedly rescued. He was not surrounded by his alleged rescuers, but calmly got off a helicopter and met a guy in a suit as if he were coming back from vacation or a good will tour.

If this was a genuine coup, shouldn't the killing of Erdogan and his top Generals been a top priority? Remember the military coup in Chile in 1973.

The military in Turkey seems to be surrendering rather easily to the police.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I read somewhere our fearless leader would "entertain" extraditing the cleric who supposedly planned this coup. The same cleric who wants to oust the Islamist Turkish govt. Sounds about right... our Islamic loving president would love to have another Islamic ruled country and send any opponents of an Islamic led govt back to Turkey to their deaths.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts