Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on mounting a Meopta Meopro 1" 4-12 x50 on my Remington 700 AAC-SD. Do you guys thing this would be a good combination? What are some other suggestions you may have for cheaper scopes?

I'm mostly only going to be going to the range maybe 200-200yrds but on the rare occasion I do go hunting I would like to have a scope that can reach as far as the rifle.

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
Good combo, for target. But overkill for NY hunting. Most shots in NY are under 100 yards. I have a heavy barrel rifle for target, and another rifle for hunting, with a light barrel, and polymer stock. Its easier to carry around on a hunt. You don't need .5 moa accuracy for 10 shots on a hunt. 1 moa for three is enough.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I do go hunting it's not on LI it's usually at my friends house upstate right on the Canadian border. He has about 300 acres so I would like to have the ability to get out to 500+yrds on occasion.

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
Experienced hunters avoid shots at those ranges. As a matter of ethics: can you place the shot with enough accuracy to ensure a clean kill, or will the animal be wounded and suffer a slow death? As a matter of physics: will the bullet carry enough energy to effectively kill the animal?
500 yards shots on paper are not easy, and it doesn't get any easier in the woods.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mad Russian said:
Experienced hunters avoid shots at those ranges. As a matter of ethics: can you place the shot with enough accuracy to ensure a clean kill, or will the animal be wounded and suffer a slow death? As a matter of physics: will the bullet carry enough energy to effectively kill the animal?
500 yards shots on paper are not easy, and it doesn't get any easier in the woods.
I completely agree with the Russian on this one. I get questions like this daily, my answer is exactly as the Mad Russian says it unethical. Are you able to consistently make a 500 yard hit inside of a softball? If not i dont recommend taking the shot. IMHO our 3-9x42 MeoPro is the best suited scope for you it is also a hundred bucks cheaper. Most shots you will take will be +/- 70 yards, a 3-9 is more than enough power. If you have any questions feel free to PM me under this name or ASSAULTFUN i would be more than happy to discuss further and even demo the scope.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.