Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
Well I was raised that when you shook a man's hand looked him in the eye and had a mutual agreement you followed through with that agreement even if something better came along in the interim. I don't know if that is a dying thing or not but I always slept well knowing that if i gave my word I did my best in following through with it. Guess I will never be rich but hopefully the influence on have on the people I care about in life will make them also hold the same values in their own lives..........Rant over.

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So who screwed you?
Haha yeah i got the old fist in the butt......but i will keep that part private. Just amazed at how people conduct themselves at times. I guess a person or business' reputation does not mean as much as them getting every last dollar they can. It involves a real estate deal and a builder......Maybe Mom &Dad raised me wrong.....that is all I will say.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
There are people/businesses who still display those characteristics but in the world we live in it is best to get everything in writing and record conversations when necessary.

Sallie Mae/Navient screwed up my loans and capitalized the intrest when it shouldn't have. They told me they were going to launch an investigation. That turned into them refusing to service my loans, provide documents which I requested a forbearance and accepting payments. I filed a complaint with the Attorney General and a few regulatory organizations and Navient lied and made up so much crap. Good thing I had recorded our conversations and kept good records.

·
Runs with scissors
1,754 Posts
Karma is a beach. They will get their comeuppance.
I know this is not going to make you feel any better, but "My word is stronger than oak" got me screwed over once or twice. It never gets easier, but I still keep believing there is honor in this world. I am raising my kids to honor their word, no matter what. Decency never goes out of style.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
You should still uphold your part of the bargain but that does not preclude punishment, pain and suffering on the offender in one form or another.
The two are not mutually exclusive and educating some skell in the proper ways of doing business, and the possible ramifications of not acting like a gentleman, are a public service.
If it is a business, everyone should be made aware of their business practices. If an individual, everyone should be made aware that perhaps they are not to be trusted.
Just make sure all your ducks are in a row.

Reactions: Tonto

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it is good hearing there are many who still feel the same. No laws were broken but it seems like people will hide behind their hired attorney instead of standing up like a man. I was told the person was waiting to speak with their attorney ( which in my world means making sure they can't be liable ) the person even told another person " I shook the man's hand what should I do" Well I guess if you have to ask you just don't get it!!!!! I live in the same community and also know many mutual people, he does not know this because I was never much of a name dropper. We both attended the same schools at different times and grew up not far from each other just at different times maybe 5 years difference in age. I may not have slept well last night but I felt fine looking at my ugly mush in the mirror this morning. Maybe i will see this person in one of the bars or restaurants soon and i can buy him a drink or meal since money is so important for him.. I know I sound bitter but sometimes society gets me down, i have been through and seen so much worse things that this is nothing. Just a dose of reality of some people's motivation and values in life.

·
Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
Unfortunately, those of us raised similarly, are at an unfortunately disadvantage in today's world and suddenly became the statue for the pigeons of the world to defecate on.
While true, the price of honor is a high one.
My honor is not worth a few thousand dollars.
It is worth infinitely more than that.
No one said doing the right thing was the esy way. far from it.
But if you're honorable and deal with honorable people, F everyone else.

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
21,922 Posts
I'm in the jewelry business and it's probably the last business left where if you give a "mazal" on something you are obligated to either buy it or pay "step off" penalty (no way to translate the term better).
If you break mazal you will have a lot of trouble getting goods from dealers. Do it once and you'll be forgiven if you have a good reputation, do it twice and you're on COD terms for a long long time.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Haha yeah i got the old fist in the butt......but i will keep that part private. Just amazed at how people conduct themselves at times. I guess a person or business' reputation does not mean as much as them getting every last dollar they can. It involves a real estate deal and a builder......Maybe Mom &Dad raised me wrong.....that is all I will say.
It's not limited to the business. I've had plenty of customers over the years so have backed out of what they agreed upon. Just yesterday we had a customer who ordered a fiberglass staircase with their semi inground pool(which is not a stock item) call and say that they don't want the steps anymore because they don't want to pay for the pavers that will need to be done with it. Before ordering I told them is everything how you want it because it's "non refundable"....now when they come in to discuss management will have to decide what to do. Should they be stuck with a $3500 item that won't be sold until probably next year or fight it with the customer and then be "the bad guy." I guess I'll find out in a few days how that goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's not limited to the business. I've had plenty of customers over the years so have backed out of what they agreed upon. Just yesterday we had a customer who ordered a fiberglass staircase with their semi inground pool(which is not a stock item) call and say that they don't want the steps anymore because they don't want to pay for the pavers that will need to be done with it. Before ordering I told them is everything how you want it because it's "non refundable"....now when they come in to discuss management will have to decide what to do. Should they be stuck with a $3500 item that won't be sold until probably next year or fight it with the customer and then be "the bad guy." I guess I'll find out in a few days how that goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Amazing the bs people pull

·
Banned
6,368 Posts
I'd rather lose money or give something away then break my word. Always follow through. You're only a good as your word.
Agreed. There have been plenty of times I have screwed myself, but still stuck to my word and followed through.

·
Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
I always think it's good to have special items paid for up front.
You told them it was non refundable which means it's non refundable.
That doesn't mean you don't try to help them out a little.
maybe seell it to them at cost, but that's not right what they did.

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
The most sound advice ever given to me was: "The best sleeping pill is a clear conscience."

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
I just had a hot water heater replaced in my home - $1500. I'd have done it myself but my new homeowner's insurance wanted the work done by a licensed contractor.

Anyhow.

Before the install date, I'm talking to a friend who I knew did commercial work but not residential. He told me to cancel out on the guy and that he'd do it for "several hundred" less. My friend knew I barely get by and that "several hundred" in savings was a lot for me.

I thanked him but said "No" as I had already made an agreement.

Paul

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Sorry you got screwed, that has to be really tough given the nature of the deal. As for the way you were raised, I think a lot of us here share those values. If only the rest of society did as well we would be so much better off. I hope something better comes along for you!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.