Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading some articles that say melonite is superior to chrome, but if thats the case, why arent most barrels melonite coated than? Anyone have any experience with this? Should I steer clear of a melonite treated barrel?

·
Banned
6,423 Posts
It was my understanding that the chrome was harder and held up over time better. I've been known to be wrong though.

·
Registered
701 Posts
to my understanding, the reason why milspec barrels are chrome lined is due to the fact that it lasts longer, even though they are prone to be less accurate than chrome moly or melonite lined barrels

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
I have both, Colt HBar and S&W MP15. I can't say which is better because the MP is not even a year old and the Colt is over 20. What I can say is, chrome has been around a lot longer, melonite is newer tech that might be better but it's going to have to get past all those who are attached to chrome(Mil included) for different reasons. Glock has already proved the stuff is more than just good and I foresee it passing chrome as a protection lining, provided the EPA doesn't squash it. Another thing I like about melonite is, both inside and outside of the S&W is treated and so far its much better that phosphate. In the year I've had it, it's been very durable and easy to clean.

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
I believe chrome has a lower CF (coefficient of friction)than any of the nitrocarburizing processes (Tenifer, Melonite, etc.)

But I do not have my copy of MH handy to look it up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts