Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
The Sysop
35,824 Posts
The New York State Department of Health announced on Friday its selection of five organizations to manufacture and dispense medical marijuana.

And while the application from Jack and Kurt Van de Wetering, under THC Health Inc., to grow marijuana at their Ivy Acres farm was not among those selected, a dispensary from another organization is slated for Riverhead.

Each organization picked will have one manufacturing site and four dispensing sites across various counties in the state. One of the organizations selected, Columbia Care NY LLC, based out of New York City, will have one Suffolk County site for dispensing.

A spokesman for Columbia, Peter Kerr, said a dispensary will be in Riverhead on Old Country Road, but couldn't provide any further details.

"We don't have a specific location to talk about today," Mr. Kerr said in an email.

Riverhead Town Supervisor Sean Walter said last month that he had spoken with representatives of two companies that were interested in locating medical marijuana growing facilities at EPCAL, one of which later withdrew its plans.

On Friday, Mr. Walter said he didn't have any information on Columbia choosing Riverhead as a location for a dispensary. The state hasn't contacted the town, either, about its latest decision and the town's applications are still pending, he said.

"Everything is in the state's hands now, so we'll see what the state does with the various applications," he said. "Certainly, it's my opinion that this is more of an industrial use and it belongs in an industrial area such as EPCAL."

The other dispensing locations for Columbia are in New York, Clinton and Monroe. Officials from Columbia are expected to visit the 4,000-square-foot site in Monroe County next week, according to the Democrat and Chronicle.

The Van de Weterings submitted their application - one of 43 total the state reviewed - in early June and they hoped if approved, they could be growing marijuana beginning Jan. 1, 2016.

Kurt Van de Wetering could not immediately be reached for comment.

The other organizations selected were: Bloomfield Industries Inc.; Empire State Health Solutions; Etain, LLC and PharmaCann LLC. The closest manufacturing site to Long Island is from Bloomfield, which will have a site in Queens. Bloomfield will also have a dispensing site in Nassau County.

The Van de Weterings estimated in May that the project could generate about $400 million in annual revenue with Riverhead Town receiving about $4 million in tax revenue and $11 million for Suffolk County.

All of the applications received by the Department of Health will be made public after personal information and other confidential material is redacted, according to a press release.

"Today's announcement represents a major milestone in the implementation of New York State's Medical Marijuana Program and keeps us on track to have the program up and running within 18 months of passage of the Compassionate Care Act," said state Health Commissioner Dr. Howard Zucker in a statement.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
So all the hipsters can stop off at Riverhead, before they go out to the Hamptons

Reactions: zx9allday

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I hope Amazon has plans.

·
Premium Member
11,465 Posts
No Marijuana will be sold in NYS

Edibles, oils and such will be sold but no WEED to smoke.

No way this place will gross 400 million as the article says
The company will gross 400 million then when the law suit start it will loss it's monopoly. This is going to be a huge money maker with all the crooked doctors these places are going to make money hand over fist.
Edible and oil are more concentrated you body absorbs the THC more readily by eating it then smoking it and the chrystal THC is off the chart with its potency. So smoking it is less productiv for you high.

Ps sorry for any miss spelling my phone is changing thing after I hit post or preview.

·
Powderfinger
2,473 Posts
I thought they already had a pot dispensary in Riverhead for the last 40 years.

Reactions: Dchilde

·
Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?
11,528 Posts
Hmmm...I need to invest some money....any stores nearby,that are open 24 hrs & sell Twinkies?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.