Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend had asked me a good question and i figured id see if anyone has any answers here.
With the new laws involving medical marijuana being legal (?), does anyone know the current laws on if you currently hold a pistol license, are you allowed to obtain a medical marijuana card and carry both.
I know prior to covid, an individual was not allowed to hold both- a pistol permit and a medical marijuana card.
Has this law been changed?

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Federal law has not changed. Marijuana is still prohibited under Federal law. Your friend might lose his pistol permit or be unable to get it if the licensing agency or the Federal background check reveals the marijuana card.
I can tell you in the Army we still do random drug testing and marijuana use is not allowed and can get you separated from the Army.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
The two licenses are mutually exclusive in NYS, and the databases are linked. If you have a medical marijuana card, you will not be able to get a pistol license (probably even after forfeiting said card). If you have a pistol license and get a medical marijuana card, your license will be revoked.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you sir.. That is what i thought. I thought he may be able to obtain the MM card, but when time came to renew the pistol permit, he would not be able to renew.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Both are State licensed, and the medical card is prescribed by a doctor. would the answer change if you were taking another medicine? Has anyone asked the bureau?
In Nassau County at least, you're asked about prescription medications at renewal time. There are quite a few that will get you in trouble with the PLB.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts