Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to local range today, the Medford Shooting Range on RT 112 in Medford. This is a gun shop with a range in the basement. The cost is reasonable enough at $10.00 an hour for range time. Since I had to wait, I started by looking at the selection of guns as I am rebuilding my collection. I focused on 2 .38's. Both were airlights supposedly both new. I found 1 of the 38's with a dirty trigger. It looked like it had been fired a lot since the trigger does not to look dirty when new. I was told that the owner tries every gun to be sure it worked. There must have been a lot of trying on this gun for this trigger to look this dirty.

I waited 45 minutes to get a point. Point 1 opened up so that's where I went to. The range has very poor ventilation as there was a haze of burnt powder at the edge of the range. While shooting, the table in front of me collapsed. It was not bolted down to the frame. I went to call for a cease fire but the guys next to me had no idea what I was talking about. Since my ammo was in front of the firing line I had to get a broom then get on my hands and knees to pick it up. It was then I found how dirty this place really is. The floors and the walls were filthy. My hands and clothes were black. Honestly, due to the lack of ventilation I was happy to leave.

I would say if you are concerned about your health and low lead levels, stay away. An occasional exposure and you should be fine but continued use could be deadly. It should be noted there is no system to make the range safe. Going forward of the line will get you killed.

On a positive note, they do have electric target hangers. The lines used are not taught so there is a big dip in the lines making hitting a target more difficult. My advice is to stay away from this place until the get some soapy water to clean up the lead and unburnt powder a better ventilation system as well updating the equipment do that it works and not collapses. A safety system needs to be out into place. At present this place could not pass a board of health inspection. :-/

·
Registered
425 Posts
I was there this morning around 11 for an hour or so. I almost did the same thing as I was in the first point myself. ;D
I was lucky in that I didn't. I've been going there for several years now and I have to say today was the worst I have ever seen it. I ended up spending more time shooting the bull with a guy I hadn't seen in a while but when I left about 12:15 I was gagging on the crap in my throat.
All in all I will still go back but they really need to do something with the ventilation. Saw a guy shooting the Ranch Hand and it cured me of wanting to get one.

Steve 'Cityrepo61'

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
All in all I will still go back but they really need to do something with the ventilation. Saw a guy shooting the Ranch Hand and it cured me of wanting to get one.

What happened with the ranch hand

·
Registered
5,872 Posts
I go there during "off peak" hours. Usually I have the place to myself.
Yeah it's dirty, run down, and a hole in the wall but....it's close, and it's cheap.

·
Registered
425 Posts
winston said:

What happened with the ranch hand
Just looked too awkward, couldn't tell if it was a pistol or a rifle and it seemed to shoot that way. It shot fine but the guy (nice guy,has helped me with reloading questions) never seemed able to get into a comfortable position. Neither did his friend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.