Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mauser k98 that i recently picked up.  This gun has had a lot of work done on it, not by me but done.  I am wondering if anyone knows of a place that I could take it to be appraised and checked out.  Any help would be appreciated.

·
Sharp Shooter!
412 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The range master at calverton seemed to be in love.  I prob would not sell it but, I am confused if all the work done made it a highly valuable gun or ruined it.

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
shooter528 said:
The range master at calverton seemed to be in love. I prob would not sell it but, I am confused if all the work done made it a highly valuable gun or ruined it.
The problem with putting a value on something like is that its not a custom rifle from a high end rifle maker, so you have no previous work or sales to base its value. Unless the work was done by someone well known, and you can verify that, I would treat the rifle as what it is. Example: If you take a $5000 used Honda Civic and add a $10,000 stereo, its still a $5,000 Civic. If its a wartime German Mauser, it certainly didn't add any value except to the owner. Its a very nice looking gun in any case.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was really intersted in seeing if you figured that it took form the guns value as the gun has been altered.  The person who sold it seemed to think the work was done by someone who's name started with an M millard millord or some thing like that.

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
shooter528 said:
I was really intersted in seeing if you figured that it took form the guns value as the gun has been altered. The person who sold it seemed to think the work was done by someone who's name started with an M millard millord or some thing like that.
The work done doesn't necessarily take away value. A run of the mill German Mauser runs between $600-$800. Much more if it was a sniper. But back when the works was done, it probably sold for less than $100, so many got sporterized, because the Mauser action is one of the strongest, and most versatile there is. You can convert the action into over a dozen calibers.
The photos show it to be made into a Safari gun: Manlicher stock, fold down sights, and drilled for scope.

·
Now an Ex NYer
25,015 Posts
Mad Russian said:
The work done doesn't necessarily take away value. A run of the mill German Mauser runs between $600-$800. Much more if it was a sniper. But back when the works was done, it probably sold for less than $100, so many got sporterized, because the Mauser action is one of the strongest, and most versatile there is. You can convert the action into over a dozen calibers.
The photos show it to be made into a Safari gun: Manlicher stock, fold down sights, and drilled for scope.
It is worth what someone is willing to part with for it. Nice example, I have a Swedish Mauser done in a similar style.
Just after WWII my Grandfather (a gunsmith with a sporting goods store) would buy the Mauser rifles that every ex GI seemed to have with them. If they were pre 1941 and all matching he would part with $15.00 for them. He put them in the rack in the back of the shop and built custom rifles from them, making the stocks from blocks of walnut etc. etc. He bult about 3 rifles a year in many different styles, some were like the one pictured. We still have the last one he made before he passed unexpectedly.

Enjoy the rifle!

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
shooter528 said:
The range master at calverton seemed to be in love. I prob would not sell it but, I am confused if all the work done made it a highly valuable gun or ruined it.
Probably both.

It ruined the collector value but, depending upon the work done and who did it, might be worth far more than it ever held in its original.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for your help.  The one thing I am now sure of is it will look quite nice in it's display case in my office.  Now to find the parts for the Arisaka to put in there with it.

·
Iconoclast
537 Posts
It looks nice from a distance, but you'd have to be able to look closely at the engraving, the quality of the checkering, the crowning of the muzzle, figuring and finish of the wood and such details to tell the fineness of the work.
Mannlicher stocks are attractive, but can be difficult to get to shoot well. Presume it's still 8x57 Mauser?

It's probably worth exactly what someone would be willing to pay for it; one would have to want that particular rifle since those changes don't always appeal to everyone. It looks a lot like a 7x57 Mauser that I have except that mine has a butterknife bolt handle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.