Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Mauser bore cleaning

5K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  GUNSBEERBACON 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I shot about 30rnds of T&T bagged ammo through my mauser and for the life of me I cannot get the bore clean. It's been a few days I know I should have cleaned it right away. It's cruddy in there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The only solvents I have here are clp, mp7 cleaner and mp7 copper remover.

Attachments

See less See more
#11 ·
Hoppe's 9 will work in 90% of the cases, but for the remaining 10% I strongly recommend Butch's bore shine:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/440524/butchs-bore-shine-bore-cleaning-solvent-16-oz-liquid

I had a case similar to yours, tried everything including oversized brush (9mm in a 8mm mauser), I ran jags multiple times, nothing worked until a friend of mine told me to try Butch's ... couple of passes with a brush, wait 20mins, then run a few clean patches and your bore will look like new.

#12 ·
The bagged ammo from T&T gunnery is berdan-primed and corrosive even though it says on the bag "8mm Non-Corrosive Ball". They lied so they could sell it. It's mostly 1950s Yugo/eastern-europe crap-hole surplus and about 10% misfire. You may not be able to un-do the damage to your barrel but I wish you luck in cleaning it out. An ammonia-based solution or hot soapy water should be run down the barrel as soon as you're done shooting that stuff.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just shoot it some more. Blast the gunk out!
Then take it home and disassemble it and soak the barrel in the tub with just hot water. Keep the water really hot for about 20 minutes. Take it out and hold it so that the bore drains completely. The heated barrel will dry quickly. Using a bronze brush send it through several times in both directions with a pull cable, not a rod. Then use a patch of Hoppes #9 and patch it until the patch is clean. Then bronze brush again and then patch it again. Then let it sit out over night. Then bronze brush again and then patch it with water, maybe a little ammonia but be careful about the finish, ammonia attacks bluing. Then patch it with Hoppes #9 again and you're done.

I brought back a barrel that sat for a few weeks with gunk in it and did just what I wrote above and it was as good as new. It's amazing what will develop if you don't clean it properly the first time. The crud that formed was from the salts that remained in the barrel and absorbed humidity from the air. Dust settled in their and it looked like what yours looks like.

Clean your bolt up good too. If it's not blued then use ammonia straight on it. Take it apart and clean up the firing pin as well.

My Mauser still looks as good as the day I bought it and it's not a safe queen.

#14 ·
Check out this item # 330744787885 on ebay.
It is USGI surplus corrosive bore cleaner and it should take care of your problem, but it should have used right after shooting that crap.
You should also consider using a chamber plug to fill up that bore and let it soak for a day or two

#17 ·
I always clean mine when I get home or the next day. Even sometimes the next day there is crap caked in there pretty good. I run a very soaked patch of hoppes 9 through then use the bristle brush dipped in some hoppes 9 and run through a few times.Usually does the trick. Luckily mine hasnt been so stubborn that I had to do anything more then patch/brush a few times.

#18 ·
I also had a problem with the humidity after I cleaned my mauser with hoppes 9 which supposedly takes care of corrosion issues. Shooting on a hot humid day in July, I gave it a thorough cleaning and thought I was good to go, put it back in the case and the next time I took the rifle out, it had a rusty bore and gunk actually dripped back into the magazine. After disassembling everything and cleaning/lubricating I just left it out with the bolt open for a few days and it was fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.