Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned User
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my relatives dug out an old Marlin 80c. I cleaned it up, it was actually in pretty good shape for an old gun yet it has a FTE issue. Upon closer inspection of the bolt the part that ejects the shell seems to be bent. I took pictures to see if anyone who has experience with Marlins to tell if this is bent and or what could be causing the FTE?

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
Not only bent, its trashed. Replace it.
Or:
Take off that half circle clip that retains the two extractors, remove the bent extractor, and flatten it with a hammer and anvil. If it dosnt snap, just make sure the its square, and file it a bit if needs be.

·
Banned User
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
15 bucks for the extractor 50 for the bolt. Would a local place stock this? I'm making a few calls already but wondering if anyone would know a specific place.

·
ummm do what now
1,056 Posts
listen to the russian might be mad but gives good advice lol

·
Banned User
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the extractor in the mail today. Fits like a glove. however a small tab sticks out. This tab prevents the bolt from going back in. however upon closer inpection the tab would line up with a lever that engages by the magazine. I took pictures but my internet is down currently. Any ideas?

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
Look at the cut outs in the barrel to see if any dirt or some other obstruction is preventing the claw from gripping the case. Try fitting a round to the bolt to see if the claw grips the rim properly (the claw itself may need to be ground down a bit).
Go outside, get a pint of gasoline, dispose of (unloaded) rifle.....

·
Banned User
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The claw grips it great. Just doesn't want to let go. The rifle is clean. Gave it a vigorous cleaning the other day. I will try adjusting the claw  next. Maybe it needs to be opened up more.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Btw, the tab sticking up, as someone described, is supposed to be like that. You should have not ground it down. That helps eject the empty case.

·
Banned User
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Postal Bob said:
When you look into the opening of the receiver, there is a little silver rod pointing foward. That is the ejector which knocks the empty case off the bolt face and out of the receiver. You can see it in your second set of photos. That may be bent down, and is not contacting the rim of the empty case.
I was thinking that also. I'm going to do another tear down and see if anything is out of wack. I'll google a picture of a new correct shape one and work from there.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
And that little silver rod in the reciever opening pointing foward is the ejector. Make sure its not bent downward. As you pull the bolt back, the ejector comes thru the face of the bolt to knock out the empty case.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.