Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a crime.
Do we need a Darwin section?

Phoenix man critical after shooting himself while trying to show that gun wouldn't fire.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/03/phoenix-man-critical-after-shooting-himself-while-trying-to-show-that-gun/?intcmp=ob_article_footer_text&intcmp=obinsite

OVERGAARD, Ariz. - A 23-year-old Phoenix man is in critical condition after shooting himself in the head while trying to show that a handgun could not be fired while he had the safety mechanism engaged.

The Navajo County Sheriff's Office said Christen Reece fired his handgun Wednesday while shooting with six other people outside Overgaard in eastern Arizona.

Friends took Reece to the local fire department, where he was treated before being airlifted to a Scottsdale hospital for surgery.

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
One thing Foosel reiterated numerous times in the NRA basic pistol safety class. A safety is a mechanical device and CAN fail.

How anyone is that stupid to point it at themselves, breaking another fundamental safety rule, is beyond me.

Being a firearm owner/operator is not a rocket science. You don't need to be a lawyer and remember a million rules in order to safely enjoy the sport or to safely own and operate a firearm.

1. Always treat the weapon as if it is loaded
2. Never point it at anything you're not willing to destroy
3. Know your target and beyond!
4. Always treat the weapon as if it were loaded.

Pretty basic stuff and for most, common sense. If you can't abide by those rules, do everyone a favor and don't own or operate a firearm.

·
Premium Member
4,060 Posts
worst part is now he is another statistic for the antis to use against us. as firearm owners we should all take that in consideration and never be a part of a statistic.

cleaning my bolt action savage last night, mag was out, bolt was out, and i still kept it pointed in a safe direction.

·
Walker1847
12,075 Posts
One thing Foosel reiterated numerous times in the NRA basic pistol safety class. A safety is a mechanical device and CAN fail.

How anyone is that stupid to point it at themselves, breaking another fundamental safety rule, is beyond me.

Being a firearm owner/operator is not a rocket science. You don't need to be a lawyer and remember a million rules in order to safely enjoy the sport or to safely own and operate a firearm.

1. Always treat the weapon as if it is loaded
2. Never point it at anything you're not willing to destroy
3. Know your target and beyond!
4. Always treat the weapon as if it were loaded. Keep your finger off the trigger until a conscious decision to shoot has been made.

Pretty basic stuff and for most, common sense. If you can't abide by those rules, do everyone a favor and don't own or operate a firearm.
FIFY

·
AMF YOYO
3,598 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.