Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i need a new computer, my older macbook is in need of replacement. Need some advise on which laptop to get. They are closely priced, my gut says the pro but i bought my wife the air and that is very good to. The only thing is i sometimes run some powerful programs such as pro tools on my laptop. But that is not always necessary

Thoughts please

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
I have both.

Air: The air is more portable, lighter and smaller. I use my air for working on the airplane (I travel frequently) and carry it when I have a quick meeting. Positives are light, small and easy to handle. Negatives are not as powerful and less extendable. I have a 13" air but the 11" is even more portable.

Pro: This is the powerhouse of the Mac line. Its faster than most desktops in your lap. I use this when I am programming and I run all my databases on it and all my hard core work gets done here. I have the 15" and you don't want to use it on the plane or sometimes even the train. Positives are super fast and flexible and can be extended. Negatives are heavier, larger and not as uber portable as the air.

As a side note, I am starting to use my iPad as my travel computer and I may replace my air with the iPad. It can do everything I use my travel laptop for and is even smaller. I have an external keyboard for the iPad that acts as a case also. Very nice.

Anything else, let me know and I will help. I work in the field so I am happy to help....

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Pro.

If you are running strong programs go Pro.

Best decision I made when I switched to the Mac.

Reactions: NYPD13

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm very familiar with both models (and PC's as well) as I have been an avid builder and gamer for the last two decades (although my passion has shifted to firearms in the last few years). There are a lot of options to choose from, but unless you do a lot of traveling, I would recommend the MacBook PRO over the AIR. Ideally, I would recommend the 15" MacBook PRO as it has the over clocked 2.3 GHZ quad-core processor, 512 GB flash-drive storage, NVidia GeForce GT video processor, and 2880 x 1800 Retina display, providing a stunning and clear picture at the highest resolution settings. This configuration will run you around $2500.00

If you want a side-by-side comparison against the AIR, then you would go for the 13-inch 2.4GHZ dual-core i5 processor with 256GB of flash storage (hard drive), 8 GB of memory AND has Retina display (iPhone 5/iPad NEW high quality resolution)at a cost of $1500. The similar AIR is the 13-inch model with the slower 1.3GHZ dual-core i5 processor, only 4 GB of memory and 256 GB of flash storage (hard drive). This system will save you $200 and be a 1/2 pound lighter, but will struggle with higher demanding applications.

As a minimum I would get a system with at least an i5 core operating not less than 2.4GHZ, at least 8 GB of memory, 512 GB of flash memory with Retina display. There is a 13-inch MacBook Pro meeting these standards at a cost of $1,799.00 and two 15-inch MacBook Pro models at a cost of $1,999 and $2,599.

If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to PM me directly.

·
Sharp Shooter!
492 Posts
Given what you have to run I would go Pro. Me I'm not running anything processor intensive so the Air more fills my needs. It's more rugged, I have the solid state hard drive so no moving parts, it's lightweight and I can toss it in my motorcycle saddle bag and not worry about it.

·
How's it shoot if it's plastic?
1,245 Posts
I personally would pick the pro that's offered for $1199 and upgrade the memory to 8GB for $100. Seems like the best value to me.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all for the responses, i wound up getting the pro that is listed at 1499, my wife gets a discount so i wound up paying 1399. It is 2.4 ghz boost to 2.9, 8 ram, 256k flash, retina display apparently it will even give you a handy while it brushes your teeth...

·
Registered
9,630 Posts
Thanks all for the responses, i wound up getting the pro that is listed at 1499, my wife gets a discount so i wound up paying 1399. It is 2.4 ghz boost to 2.9, 8 ram, 256k flash, retina display apparently it will even give you a handy while it brushes your teeth...
Excellent choice. No worries you made the right decision with the Pro. Have not had one issue with the Pro.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts