Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your building an M14 give me a shout. I have built a few and love the platform. I shoot mine in the LI High Power league. Not an expert but I'm hopeful. Great league and great helpful members real friendly to newbies like me. Here is a pic of some of the rifles I have twisted up. Actually building another one this afternoon.
Also built a few AR-10's and AR-15's, erector sets for adults.

·
The Artist formally known as AR_Guy
6,913 Posts
Nice rifles.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks much, I have the illness m14 itis.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Can you elaborate a little on the erection sets? Pics?

On the serious note.
I am looking for a crown tool that can handle barrel of 1" diameter. Mine is 3/4 and not good enough to recrown the AR10 barrel

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the M14. I've got a preban supermatch that I really enjoy shooting but I would like to build up another rifle on a USGI synthetic stock that I recently aquired. iron sights only on that one.

82nd, In your opinion, what would you view as the most important component of accuracy on the M14? I know many little things come into play but what do you think is the one critical factor in terms of producing an accurate rifle?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BKLYN_C said:

On the serious note.
I am looking for a crown tool that can handle barrel of 1" diameter. Mine is 3/4 and not good enough to recrown the AR10 barrel
No offense intended, just feel like they are sort of snap together rifles unless you are actually installing your own barrel extension and reaming the chamber. Please don't take what I said the wrong way. Here are a couple of pics of some of the ar's I put together
this is an AR-10A2 built. Everything is from armilite except the Krieger barrel(had it made special) GA service rifle trigger and the MIAD grip. I don't like the MIAD on the -10 it doesn't fit quite right.

The one with the barrel is a 28 inch Krieger .920 inch SS 1/7.7 barrel GA match trigger 14.5 inch FFT ect ect the other is a similar rifle in .308 the barrel will be here this week, yup another kriger 26 inch barrel

Then you have the NM same thing Krieger hbar GA trigger ect ect

AR are a lot less expensive than the 14's and fun to put together.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SordidSlayer said:
Really nice collection,.....for sale post coming soon ? :)
Sorry to report no sales coming up anytime soon. At the ripe ol age of 47, I have 5 year old grandson that has dibs on the entire collection. Have my 10/22 i got in the 80's ready to get him started. It still looks like it did the day I took it out of the box. Still like shooting that 22. I see ruger just came out with a factory 25 round mag for it, to bad we live in NY. I will get one when I retire to AZ.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Skope said:
I'm a huge fan of the M14. I've got a preban supermatch that I really enjoy shooting but I would like to build up another rifle on a USGI synthetic stock that I recently aquired. iron sights only on that one.

82nd, In your opinion, what would you view as the most important component of accuracy on the M14? I know many little things come into play but what do you think is the one critical factor in terms of producing an accurate rifle?
Critical factor in producing an accurate rifle. Well leaving the human factor out of the equation, I always say barrel bullet and trigger. Other factors are the extent of the match mods and who you have build the rifle. I have built 6 M14 types so far and getting ready to get another receiver this week. When it comes to receivers, there is only one choice for me and that would be LRB receivers. I use Krieger cut rifled barrels for the most part heavy contour 1/10 twist CM 1/10 twist. I have a couple of 18.5 builds and one what I call my rack grade build. It has a standard contour Krieger barrel again CM 1/10 lrb non lugged receiver with all the match mods except for bedding. That rife shoots almost as well as my super match. The SM will shoot x's off bags where as the rack grade will hold the 10 ring off bags.
As far as bullets I have been shooting black hills 175 grain BTHP since I Picked up my SAI M21 in 07.
As far as the USGI Fiberglass stock, I would go with a Mcmillan M1A stock.

If I had to only choose one physical item it would be the barrel hands down.

With this platform, I feel you can't limit it to one. We are fortunate that the service rifle teams did all the R&D for us, all we have to do is apply them meaning the match mods..

PS it sounds like your super match is scoped. If you plan on building another rifle, I would suggest a lugged LRB M25 and put your scope on that rifle and use the SM that you have now as your iron sight rifle. The M25 with the built in rail is the cats meow when it comes to scoping the M14 platform. If you haven't already checked out the LRB arms website check it out and take a look at the M25 receiver, that is unless you are a traditionalist and really like the 14 receiver.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
What are the benefits of the integrated rear lug that lrb offers?

·
Walker1847
12,106 Posts
BKLYN_C said:

On the serious note.
Have you seen Dave Manson's system? He also has a website with a catalog - crowning tools start around page 9 or 10...
http://www.mansonreamers.com/
Also check out his youtube videos

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
BKLYN_C said:

On the serious note.
Will a valve seat cutter work? What crown angle are you looking for? Neway makes 15 degree cutter for three-angle valve jobs and IIRC 11 degree cutter for 4 angle vale jobs.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Walker1847 said:
Have you seen Dave Manson's system? He also has a website with a catalog - crowning tools start around page 9 or 10...
http://www.mansonreamers.com/
Also check out his youtube videos

This is the tool I was looking for!
I saw a guy posted its pictures on Russian gun site but couldn't get any info from him, he got banned.
Now I know what Santa will bring me for Christmas :)
Than!

·
Walker1847
12,106 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,392 Posts
that's the one that I have. No complaints here, but wanted to see what others are using on LIF as well as the M14 guru's opinion ;)
I'll say this; the Bassett scope mount is definately high quality with the price to match. Bassett also claims to retain scope zero if removed and re-installed (the mount only) with scope attached. Haven't tried that yet.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
bachi said:
What are the benefits of the integrated rear lug that lrb offers?
The added bedding surface. I also like the torque screw and pillar, I find that I don't need to shoot any bedding shots after I removes the action for cleaning.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SemiAutoFetish said:
82nd....suggestion on a scope mount for the M1A standard?
Walker 1847's suggestion is a good one. Seems as though many of the ones that I see that are most liked are take off of the brookfield design. Sadlak Industries has some nice scope mounts as well. Many swear buy the ARMS mount. I personally have not used any of them, the only scope mount I have, has a bad reputation. I have a Gen III SAI scope mount and it shot loose a couple of times until I used loc tite on the threads. Never had the problem again. However since purchasing M25 receivers that rifle has given its scope up to an AR and I doubt I will ever scope it again. I have been enjoying irons to much over the last couple of years. I think any scope mount you put on an M14 type rifle should be loc tited, I have read where most popular ones eventually come loose.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SemiAutoFetish said:
that's the one that I have. No complaints here, but wanted to see what others are using on LIF as well as the M14 guru's opinion ;)
I'll say this; the Bassett scope mount is definately high quality with the price to match. Bassett also claims to retain scope zero if removed and re-installed (the mount only) with scope attached. Haven't tried that yet.
That is a good mount, the last thing I want anyone to think is I am an M14 guru. There are only a handful of M14 guru's in the country and a couple of them have recently passed on. Three of them I consider friends or acquaintances through another forum. I have learned a lot from them, simply buy asking a lot of questions. I wish I had one tenth of there knowledge. All of them at one point were an armorer or shooting on one of the service rifle teams. Guru not buy any means, just like the rifle and thought I may be able to help. Those guys have forgotten more than I know about the rifle.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts