Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clearly I've been hanging around here too long. Thinking about taking the plunge and buying an AR type rifle. (It's gonna look funny sitting next to my Swiss, Enfields, Mausers and Krag....but it's time.)

Am thinking of a basic, entry level type gun. Did a bit of online research and am seriously considering Smith and Wesson's M&P15 sport. It gets good reviews, isn't loaded with stuff I don't want, and seems affordable.

Saw one from a gun store here in WA state for $520 with 2 mags. Is that a good price? Is it the right gun?

I'm not looking for tacticool or loading it up with stuff on rails. Just a good basic shooter that will hit where I aim it and can handle 5.56 and .223.

Other suggestions? Good places to buy? Is there another rifle I should be considering?

Or can I save a few dollars and do a "build" to get the same features Smith and Wesson offer, or more, for the same money. Price is a consideration, unless I want to sell some of my pistols, which I don't.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
I bought the M&P Sport just prior to the school murders in Ct. I've fired well over 1500 round through it and not one issue. My understanding is the newer versions don't have the 5R rifling or the melonite barrel but don't quote me. At the time I paid about $640 for it and I think it was a good deal. The Colt 6920 was over $900 at the time and didn't want to fork over that much at that time. With the savings I got an Aimpoint Pro. I don't feel that not having the forward assist or dust cover is a hindrance at all. The forward assist was never used by anyone I know in the military or civilian world and usually only further jam in a round making a bad situation worse and leaving the bolt closed is the best medicine

I have recommended it others and two of my buddies bought them and love em and I would recommend it to you also. As Sherm says the Colt is a great carbine with a stellar reputation in AR's but at additional cost but you would also be happy with the S&W I think as they're making their own quality AR's.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
+1 on the M&P Sport. You simply can't beat it for the money. Believe it or not, the trigger isn't that bad either. No dust cover and no forward assist (features that are pretty useless for most people anyway). The barrel isn't chrome lined either. I believe it has their Melonite (or equivalent) finish. It always goes bang and carries a good quality name.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
+1 on the M&P Sport. You simply can't beat it for the money. Believe it or not, the trigger isn't that bad either. No dust cover and no forward assist (features that are pretty useless for most people anyway). The barrel isn't chrome lined either. I believe it has their Melonite (or equivalent) finish. It always goes bang and carries a good quality name.
Agreed on the trigger. It's much better that the OE trigger in my Colt HBAR which was awful. It came out and a Geissele SSA went in. I'll be leaving the S&W trigger as is.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
The Colt 6920 is the benchmark for all other ARs to follow. They literally set the standard or at least follow the Mil Spec. on all there Civy ARs. I'djump on the 6920 in a second. I know the older generation of M&P15 were good to go not so sure with current generations.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great guns, but neither Colt nor Smith & Wesson offer New York legal versions of them. There are only a few manufacturers like us that have stepped up and offer an option for NYers.
I'm a Washington State resident with WA driver's license and WA concealed pistol license, so I'm good to go on anyone's guns and 30 round mags.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
I picked up a Smith & Wesson M&P15 sport from Campsite about 3 weeks ago. It's awesome (aside from it being New Yorkerized). Shoots great, accurate. I liked the sleek look without the forward assist and lack of dust cover. My Sig M400 has the forward assist and dust cover......so I'm good. In all, you won't be disappointed with the M&P15.

·
Giraffe Hunter
3,727 Posts
If run mine vey hard and it never fails me. Is probably got 3-4k through it. Very accurate. I plan on putting it through the next Appleseed. It's one of the most reliable rifles I have.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
I picked up a Smith & Wesson M&P15 sport from Campsite about 3 weeks ago. It's awesome (aside from it being New Yorkerized). Shoots great, accurate. I liked the sleek look without the forward assist and lack of dust cover. My Sig M400 has the forward assist and dust cover......so I'm good. In all, you won't be disappointed with the M&P15.
What stock did it come with!

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Unfortunately, the lovely NY paintball gun/spaceman laser rifle fixed stock. Which I find comfortable, just not aesthetically pleasing. Lol. However....if either one of the two LE jobs I applied for call me, those stocks will change. Lol

Reactions: C6NY
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.