1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?
11,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here we go again....

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/8845676/

Lunchbox mix-up leads to charges for Sanford teen

Sanford, N.C. - An athletic and academic standout in Lee County said a lunchbox mix-up has cut short her senior year of high school and might hurt her college opportunities.

Ashley Smithwick, 17, of Sanford, was suspended from Southern Lee High School in October after school personnel found a small paring knife in her lunchbox.

Smithwick said personnel found the knife while searching the belongings of several students, possibly looking for drugs.

"She got pulled into it. She doesn't have to be a bad person to be searched," Smithwick's father, Joe Smithwick, said.

The lunchbox really belonged to Joe Smithwick, who packs a paring knife to slice his apple. He and his daughter have matching lunchboxes.

"It's just an honest mistake. That was supposed to be my lunch because it was a whole apple," he said.

Ashley Smithwick said she had never gotten in trouble before and was surprised when the principal opened her lunchbox and found the knife.

The teen was initially given a 10-day suspension, then received notice that she was suspended the rest of the school year.

"I don't understand why they would even begin to point the finger at me and use me as an example," she said.

This month, Ashley Smithwick, a soccer player who takes college-level courses, was charged with misdemeanor possession of a weapon on school grounds. She is no longer allowed to set foot on campus.

"They made it sound like it was a big ol' buck knife that you're out here hunting with," Joe Smithwick said.

Darla Cole, the chief school resource officer in Lee County, told WRAL News she could not comment on the case.

Lee County Superintendent Jeff Moss told the Sanford Herald that he can't discuss the specifics of the case, but school policy allows principals to consider the context of each case and determine discipline.

Moss said students who accidentally carry a weapon and report it to teachers will get a light punishment. If teachers find it, he said, the discipline is harsher.

"When the principals conduct their investigations, what typically is fleshed out is the true intent," he told the newspaper. "Bottom line is we want to ensure every child feels safe on our campus."

Ashley Smithwick is completing her coursework online through Central Carolina Community College. She said she worries the case will affect her college prospects.

"When you have a criminal record no school's going to look at you," she said. "I have a pretty nice talent. I'm good at playing soccer and that talent is just wasted now."

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Zero tolerance for the loss!

·
RIP
272 Posts
This stuff really pisses me off. Remember the Eagle scout who got suspended for a knife in his car off school grounds, or something to that extent. There has to be something that can be done. This is not justified. There are way better weapons in shop class.

BB

·
Banned
6,050 Posts
It would seem that today's educators need several graduate level courses in overreaction in order to gain tenure. Perhaps their undergraduate physical education requirement is satisfied by a one credit course in dramatic fainting.

Its only a matter of time before they call in air strikes because an 11th grader fashioned a spork out of balsa wood.

·
Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?
11,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BUSHMASTER said:
wow thats kinda ridiculous... she could just as easily attack someone with a pencil or a compass... kids are sooo dangerous these days walkin around with pencils LOL
time to stock up on pre-ban #2 pencils....

What is next with this kind of crap??!! They always seems to snag the good kids.

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
Do they still have "shop" in high school these days? I'm seriously wondering, do they have plastic wood chisels? How about chemistry class have they replaced the Bunsen burners with small electric light bulbs? what do they use in Biology class when they dissect frogs? sharpened finger nails? I just don't get it, I didn't think that I was that old....

·
Now an Ex NYer
25,015 Posts
Zero tolerance = zero brains...

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
This is happening because all of the Tri-State liberal carpetbaggers have been flocking to North Carolina, bringing their ridiculous politics with them.  Maybe McCarthy will relocate there.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
"Bottom line is we want to ensure every child feels safe on our campus."
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH

HOW CAN YOU FEEL SAFE WHEN THE SCHOOL IS LOOKING FOR ANY EXCUSE IT CAN FIND TO DESTROY YOUR LIFE OVER COMPLETE NONSENSE!?

...sorry. This stuff gets me so angry. I was almost a victim of this idiocy, luckily my school administrators had brains and prevented me from being expelled.

·
Registered
839 Posts
man.. I'm pretty young just getting to my late 20's and I remember carrying a small swiss army knife to school.. that much changed over the years?

Sad that they have to jeopardize a young womans college career and put her through the embarrassment of not graduating on time to "set an example"...

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Unbelievable, this is the kind of nonsense that destroys a society. I would be so enraged at the school, I'd sue them and represent myself in court, no way you could lose unless you got an equally idiotic jury and judge. What happened to common sense and good judgement? And we wonder why our schools are falling behind, because all the effort is put into this idiocy rather than teaching.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
when i was in elementary school i had left a 3" pocket knife in my backpack, it ended up falling out and the teacher saw it, she simply took it away and had my parents come pick it up... that was it no disciplinary action taken

·
200 Warning Points, with a side of bacon.
2,893 Posts
ArNoob said:
when i was in elementary school i had left a 3" pocket knife in my backpack, it ended up falling out and the teacher saw it, she simply took it away and had my parents come pick it up... that was it no disciplinary action taken
Same thing happened to me and the district suspended me for weeks and required me to report to the principals office every morning and have my pockets and backpacks searched.

It was a shame I was a kid and didn't know my rights back then, that search definitely seemed like a violation of the 4th Amendment in hindsight.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.