Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, trying to rengage here on building a 308 of the AR variety. I'm looking for decent quality, as it will be my first build and I'd like it to last.

I guess my best option is going to be fixed magazine? I saw DSI's stuff awhile back but I felt like it just made me look more at Windham Weaponrys offering. Plus, I want to build my own. I know they're a great resource and all, probably will be there a lot during the process.

What are my options? I've been too busy to build for a bit, and know you guys always have good insights! Any help is appreciated.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,183 Posts
If you're sold on the AR platform check in with DSI.

I'd prefer a detachable mag semi auto in .308 and you have that option if you consider a Saiga .308 rifle. I've actually hunted with one and they have 3 and 5 round mags. Might be trickier tracking one down (in auction) but still a great option for feral pigs. NY compliant and you don't lose any of the features of the gun as designed. (And you can run inexpensive Silver Bear Soft Points through it for hog). The price should still be somewhat less than a .308 AR.

308.jpg

308b.jpg

Attachments

·
Clinger
4,824 Posts
I know this isn't what you asked ...however ...could 300 blackout be a consideration? a fixed mag lower will do double duty for a 223 upper.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
Don't have much thoughts on AR 308's but if you're open to ideas, maybe a M1A SOCOM or Scout. For hog hunts, It would fit the bill nicely.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,183 Posts
I know this isn't what you asked ...however ...could 300 blackout be a consideration? a fixed mag lower will do double duty for a 223 upper.
Good suggestion. 300 blackout is a great and popular cal for hog hunting.

Guns and Ammo's 2011 "The Book of AR-15" had a great article about wildlife management nuisance hog hunting with ARs. The managers would bag dozens of feral pigs a night using 300 blackout.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good suggestion. 300 blackout is a great and popular cal for hog hunting.

Guns and Ammo's 2011 "The Book of AR-15" had a great article about wildlife management nuisance hog hunting with ARs. The managers would bag dozens of feral pigs a night using 300 blackout.
We've already got a 300 blackout, and they still run off. I took my first shot with the Windham Weaponry 308, and it stunned him, second dropped him. The M1A was on the menu, however I feel it's weight, and 'cannon-like' effects would be a turn off for hogs. We're shooting silenced 308s. Unfortunately no threaded barrel for me, let alone silencers.. but, yeah. Here's a pic of the one I got a couple weeks ago. Thing weighed as much as me, about 300lbs, because I hung from the pulley trying to get it up there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're sold on the AR platform check in with DSI.

I'd prefer a detachable mag semi auto in .308 and you have that option if you consider a Saiga .308 rifle. I've actually hunted with one and they have 3 and 5 round mags. Might be trickier tracking one down (in auction) but still a great option for feral pigs. NY compliant and you don't lose any of the features of the gun as designed. (And you can run inexpensive Silver Bear Soft Points through it for hog). The price should still be somewhat less than a .308 AR.

View attachment 66322

View attachment 66323
I do like the Saiga, and could potentially bite on the price tag, but no building there, right?

·
Zombtac Operator
12,183 Posts
We've already got a 300 blackout, and they still run off. I took my first shot with the Windham Weaponry 308, and it stunned him, second dropped him. The M1A was on the menu, however I feel it's weight, and 'cannon-like' effects would be a turn off for hogs. We're shooting silenced 308s. Unfortunately no threaded barrel for me, let alone silencers.. but, yeah. Here's a pic of the one I got a couple weeks ago. Thing weighed as much as me, about 300lbs, because I hung from the pulley trying to get it up there.

Nice.

Def. Check with DSI for a build if you want to go the AR route. They'll steer you right.

The nice thing about the Saiga is it is NY compliant in it's native configuration, so detachable mags + semi auto, which is always nice. Yeah, prices have gone up due to the Russian embargo, but if you can score one for 900 on Gunbroker, etc. I'd go for it. They were always more than the 7.62/5.45/.223 saigas, even before the embargo when they were more readily available, and are a great semi auto .308. If you have any questions about customizing the saiga or aftermarket options feel free to pick my brain.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
What .300 blackout ammo are you using? Should not have a problem taking down a 200-300lb pig at 100-200 yards. At you shooting farther? 6.8 SPC is the next step up before you jump to a .308. Could do .458 SOCOM for heavy hitting sub 200yards. We will be bringing back the DS-10 this winter maybe a hybrid too.

·
Registered
11,502 Posts

I've shot feral pigs in Texas with a .223 Colt Hbar Elite. Some pigs do run a bit and some drop DRT. I've recovered every pig that was hit. In Texas pig hunting is fast and the AR platform is fantastic for hunting them.
The 6.8 SPC is a great hunting round for deer!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess they don't 'turn the Internet off' at night anymore. Oh well. Thanks to all of those with the helpful insights. I'll be sure to let you know where I end up.

·
airbrushart
5,514 Posts
I used my 50 Beowulf on hogs a couple of times down south, whole lot of fun, the 50 knocks them right over, but I handload. If I was going to build a hog gun would go with the biggest caliber that fits your budget. I think the 300 blackout would be my choice, when hog hunting you're not at 150-200 yards, my hunts hogs were about 75 yards out.

·
Registered
15,416 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Marlin 336SS 30-30. NYS Compliant and realy easy to maintain!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts