Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as truck tires I have my favorites but my wife drives a pretty new Honda Accord & I need to buy her new tires but not sure which ones. I've read some reviews but would like to hear from you guys. Let me start out by telling you that I'm lucky and I have a happy marriage so I want her to have good quality, safe tires. She does not do any racing(that I am aware of) but she is a female so she does bring the rims into curbs every few hours. If she wasn't so adorable it would be frustrating. I'm looking at michelins & bridgestone serenity somethings. Waddya think?

·
Registered
889 Posts
What size? To check availability. I'm kind of a Michelin fan, but Continental makes some good tires as well. Pirelli's tend to be sticky, but seem to wear faster. Goodyears OK too, nothing flashy, but good all around.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Have used Continental Pro Contacts, and Michelins. Both on Honda's. Plenty good.

Reactions: LongIsland Guy

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
My BMW 135i is my DD and I put Continental DWS all seasons on it. I like them a lot. They're not great snow tires but if you're not going to be the swapping tires route I would consider them. they wear pretty well and dry and wet traction is good.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
For good information go to tire rack http://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/homepage.html Enter the data about your car and you will get a list of the correct size tires of different brands and prices. Check the UTUG rating. Example UTQG: 560 A A. Explanation the 560 is the wear rating (higher the better) first letter is traction rating (A, B, C) A is best B is good C is.fuggedaboutit. The second letter is Temperature resistance (A, B, C) A is best B is good C is.fuggedaboutit.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
I'm going to check out all of the above mentioned models. Thank you! I'm hoping they are reasonably priced
go to All Weather with cash and ask for Gary...you won't be disappointed.

Reactions: Diesel1

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
Michelins IMHO are the best. I've never had any issues, they always lasted, and they take tire dressing better than any other tire. You do pay for them though.

Continental - had these on various cars in the family as I feel they have been the best tire "for a price"...so if I was thinking of selling the car or just needed a set of tires for 2 years or so....or the car wasn't driven enough to justify an expensive, long last tire.....I would go with Continental's.

How many miles a year does your wife do? If b/w 5-10K - go with the Continentals....If more and you're keeping the car for another 3-4 years, go Michelins, you won't regret it.

In regards to curb rash, don't get me started. I made wifey pay for her last tire.....(Note to self, never own a 19" wheel again!!!!) - It was just under $300 for a Conti at All Weather. She seemed to be doing well since she had to pay for it but recently was in a jamb, lent her car to her mom and her mom just gauged the wheel and took a huge chunk out of the front tire (The new one) and the rear. $600 bucks soon going to AWT and won't say anything to my MIL b/c she is our day care provider.......So basically, $600 and free daycare.....I'll take it but a lil tight right now but don't want wifey driving with baby in the car and 2 bad tires.

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
Forgot to add that from my experience, Continental's seem to dry rot a bit quicker than most. I would be willing to bet most tires in the similar price range will be similar so keep that in mind as well.

Again, wife and kiddo in the car mostly, going to keep it for a few years or so....just go Michelin's. Never understood why folks would look to save money on: Tires/brakes, doctors, tattoos, motorcycle helmets, etc

·
Accurizer
879 Posts
go to All Weather with cash and ask for Gary...you won't be disappointed.
Best shop in the world, or at least LI. Been going there for 15 years. A real family operation, and they will never, ever scratch your wheels or do anything less than perfectly.

As for tires, use the Tire Rack configurator and reviews. You may also want to buy from Tire Rack--as I have reluctantly started to do--because they offer a full road hazard warranty. All Weather has a great selection and will come close to the online prices, but the endless potholes around here make the Tire Rack warranty worthwhile. Also, if you have tires in a rare size (as I do for one of my cars), no one else can beat Tire Rack's selection.

All Weather will do a full mount and balance for $20/tire.

I'm currently running Continental DWS all seasons and Michelin Pilot Super Sports (summer tire) on my two cars. The Contis have decent grip and fantastic wear, and are satisfactory for snow. The Michelins have grip that is second to none, but all of their performance tires (including the Pilot all seasons) wear rapidly.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Take the reviews from tirerack with a grain of salt. Understand these are written by people who likely had bald tires and think the new ones are the best thing since sliced bread - in comparison they are.

Only look at reviews for people who have had them for a lot of miles. A tire that seems good at first can quickly start to suck (Like the Bridgestone Duler Revos I had 2 sets of on my truck - now I have ground the best tire out there Michelin LTX MS'2s).

The car also has a lot to do with it. What works on one vehicle well may not work too well on another (as was the case with the Deatination AT's that slid my truck though a wet intersection but worked great on my gf's jeep unt they wore down quickly and we got michelins).

Go to the Honda boards and you'll typicall find the favorite tire of owners. And make sure you search as "this has been covered a thousand times!"

Also, reize that everything is a compromise. Good dry traction relates to poor snow traction, long wearing can impact grip, etc. no one tire does it all (except the MS2s
).

Good luck! And don't cheap out. There is no price on safety.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
General altimax HP... I first used these tires on my wife's VW Tourag, the performed way beyond my expectation in all weather condition and did a good job on the beach. I put them on my wife's TT roadster and again they exceeded my expectation, in all weather conditions, including road handling. I went thru VW in smithtown for purchase cause the offered the tire with an unconditional 12 month or 12,000 road hazard warranty on tires they purchase and mount on your car and they were only $5.00 more per tire than my local tire guy. They may be a little more stiff, but if you get into a driving situation that you need a tire to respond to, they will. Good luck

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
General altimax HP... I first used these tires on my wife's VW Tourag, the performed way beyond my expectation in all weather condition and did a good job on the beach. I put them on my wife's TT roadster and again they exceeded my expectation, in all weather conditions, including road handling. I went thru VW in smithtown for purchase cause the offered the tire with an unconditional 12 month or 12,000 road hazard warranty on tires they purchase and mount on your car and they were only $5.00 more per tire than my local tire guy. They may be a little more stiff, but if you get into a driving situation that you need a tire to respond to, they will. Good luck
Were they loud on the road?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.