Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wandering if you guys could help me with finding a good, cheap, and small travel friendly shotgun.

A little background I guess is needed. I'm going to be travelling the states on my motorcycle soon, leaving NY in December with no set date for returning. I plan to sleep out in a tent most nights, and I would like some protection just in case. Obviously a pistol would be the best choice, but I don't have a license for that, and even if I did pistol laws vary greatly from state to state. Shotgun laws however don't. All the info I've gathered states you could travel state to state with a shotgun as long as it's concealed, unloaded, and ammo is kept in a separate lock box.

Weight being a concern, as is size, I'm looking for a small shotgun, something perhaps I could fold in half and take with me on this trip. I plan to be gone for quite a few months, and I'm really worried about bears in some of the places I'll be camping.

To be fair I haven't looked into the laws of bringing a rifle, which is an option, but I like the big noise and close range stopping power of a shotgun. Also the price tag.

All help greatly appreciated, if this is in the wrong section I apologize in advance.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Having researched the same thing for an upcoming trip, the answer is, it's very difficult to carry one assembled discretely. Unless you have a folding stock I want to say 40" (870 youth model) was the shortest I found. Add to that difficulty with a scabbard that would fit, and crossing the border, I'm pretty sure I'm going to forego the shotgun and stick with bear spray.

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
What kind of bike and where do you intend to 'hide' it?

Reactions: Aquabach

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
This is one of those situations where a mare's leg would be perfect! But you can't buy those here in NY. They are too dangerous. So hand to hand combat with hungry bears it is. Thanks NY, for keeping us safe.

Good luck on your trip. Have fun. Buy a house while you are out there and don't come back to this overcrowded sandbar.

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,061 Posts
I did exactly what you plan on doing and I did it in Florida, Georgia and South Carolina during the end or the Trayvon Martin trial.

My choice was the Ruger 10/22 takedown, with several magazines of Mini Mags. Its light, fits into a longish backpack, assembles/loads quick with practice and in a riot situation, having 100+ rounds is comforting.

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
Not a shotgun, but I hear it's good against bears.

Attachments

·
INFIDEL
7,237 Posts
I picked a 12ga Baikal 20in side by side for around $350 on gunbroker....When you take it down the longest part, the barrel is under 23in..Fits real nice behind the seat of my truck...

·
Recovering vegan, bacon saved my life
3,453 Posts
Mossberg made the 500 JIC "Just in Case " II. Not a true take-down but a small package

or something more like this old Stevens 520

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Although I am not a fan of the pistol grip shotgun, perhaps with your needs it might fit the bill.

As far as Mossberg vs Remington it all depends on what type of safety you like. I prefer the thumb safety on the Mossberg.
Good idea. A pistol grip with a folding stock might be a good choice too. ATI makes them for the Mossberg 500.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
just get any tested model pump action shotgun (Mossberg 500, Remy 870) with 18" barrel and get a pistol grip folding stock on it. You ain't going to get much shorter or lighter on a basic shotty.

No need to over complicate this.

OR Just a standard basic pistol gripped Mossy 500 if you are worried about defense and animals, though I prefer to have the option to shoulder it. Again, simplest most economical tested solution.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
My single shot 12ga with an 18in barrel was my trunk gun. It broke down into 2 peices and was easy to hide. Saw the stock down(keep overall 26in) and you can prob stick if anywhere. As for rifle, they make a bunch if cool guns!!

·
Banned
11,831 Posts
CBR 600 F4i. I have saddle bags that are of pretty good size. I believe 18 inches length wise.

That JIC 500 looks awesome. Thanks for all the responses guys. Anyone know if I'll have problem taking it across Mexico, and Canada borders?
Nah…. Mexico greets American sportsmen with a open prison doors. Just ask Marine Sgt. Andrew Tahmoorisi. They only held him 214 days.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.