Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to pick up an older Jeep CJ or Wrangler to make a trail rig that I can also use as a limited DD. Looking to keep costs low.. has anyone seen anything or got any leads on something around $5k? (yeah.. i've been searching Craigs List)

Right now I'm interested in the later CJs and YJs from 91-95. Anything Rubicon is way beyond my budget.

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
...you didn't add

"I got the 4x4 itch"

I'll keep my eyes out. I've seen a couple local recently.

·
Registered
605 Posts
You doing the work or someone else?

Have a bunch of stuff I want done on mine. But havent found a good jeep guy on LI.

Good luck with the search, though if you go with a YJ I would recommend a late 93 or a 94 as they have an external slave cylinder... unless you are just going to throw out the AX15 at the start.

·
Registered
501 Posts
my bosses friend is selling a 1990 YJ. its in decent condition, couple dents and some expected rust, hes asking $3000. its parked in front of the safelite autoglass on new york ave. in huntington station, about a half mile further north than campsite, on the left side. its got a sign on it, with the number im pretty sure. the owner lives close by there too if u want to check it out.  i considered buying it but ended up buying a 97 TJ instead

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dasgreif said:
You doing the work or someone else?

Have a bunch of stuff I want done on mine. But havent found a good jeep guy on LI.

Good luck with the search, though if you go with a YJ I would recommend a late 93 or a 94 as they have an external slave cylinder... unless you are just going to throw out the AX15 at the start.
jlk265 has a guy that did some work for him that he seemed to like. Good info on the 93/94.. I haven't dug too deeply into the differences on the different years.. just the basics around the engines. I'm going to do as much work on this as possible and would really like to know more about fixing cars than I currently do.

I'll be in huntington tomorrow and will swing by that YJ.. thanks guys.. keep em coming

·
The Artist formally known as AR_Guy
6,913 Posts
The information on the external slave unit is correct. I also prefer the 1991 and up for the 4.0 HO and the better fuel injection. The 1990 and down Renix motors don't run as well IMO. Havoc319 is a member of LIF and knows a lot about the Renix and is an all around Jeep Jedi. He has been a huge help keeping my two Heeps on the road.

"I'm going to do as much work on this as possible and would really like to know more about fixing cars than I currently do." Then buy a Jeep. You will be working on them constantly if you want to or not. ;D

·
Registered
501 Posts
i have to say one thing about jeeps, or at least mine.. i have always worked on my own cars, all the way up to swapping out engines. mostly all hondas and acuras ranging from 1989 to 2002, a 1996 pathfinder (which i didnt do much with except install a starter and a tow hitch), and a 2004 bmw M3. of all of them, so far this Jeep has been the worst to work on. yes worse than the bmw. just about every single screw on the outside of the body is rusted. almost nothing screws into the body, the use a lot of "nutserts" and backer clips... which all end up just spinning from behind if u ever want to unscrew something. its just so frustrating when u try to do something that should be SO simple, and it ends up being a major headache just because the screws dont come out. ive removed the plastic bumper endcaps, and swapped the plastic fender flares, among a couple other things. should have been really simple, but end up with me cursing a whole lot and breaking out the grinder...

·
Registered
972 Posts
I've been looking for an older cj/yj but prices are inflated. I just put my wj up and it's a great dd and beach buggy but I want a trail rig. Am thinking of doing an xj and going half doors up 6" long arm on 35"s with disco's and the works. Can go all out cheaper, but it's still not a wrangler.

·
6,913 Posts
opey said:
i have to say one thing about jeeps, or at least mine.. i have always worked on my own cars, all the way up to swapping out engines. mostly all hondas and acuras ranging from 1989 to 2002, a 1996 pathfinder (which i didnt do much with except install a starter and a tow hitch), and a 2004 bmw M3. of all of them, so far this Jeep has been the worst to work on. yes worse than the bmw. just about every single screw on the outside of the body is rusted. almost nothing screws into the body, the use a lot of "nutserts" and backer clips... which all end up just spinning from behind if u ever want to unscrew something. its just so frustrating when u try to do something that should be SO simple, and it ends up being a major headache just because the screws dont come out. ive removed the plastic bumper endcaps, and swapped the plastic fender flares, among a couple other things. should have been really simple, but end up with me cursing a whole lot and breaking out the grinder...
I feel your pain. The worst designed and built vehicles I have ever owned. I bought my Wife's Pontiac when it was 29 years old. I tore the entire thing a part and broke less bolts than I did on my 10 year old Jeep. The bolts are made of pot metal and don't get me started on Torx head screws. Everything will snap and break or spin in the body. Changing rear shocks on my Cherokee required pulling the back seat and rear carpet to cut a access panel in the floor, common fix. And dropping the pan on the automatic transmission required a torch.

Good luck with your search!

·
6,913 Posts
Tully said:
I've been looking for an older cj/yj but prices are inflated. I just put my wj up and it's a great dd and beach buggy but I want a trail rig. Am thinking of doing an xj and going half doors up 6" long arm on 35"s with disco's and the works. Can go all out cheaper, but it's still not a wrangler.
They show up for sale at fair prices. Funny every time someone asks to buy my Wrangler they make a low ball offer.

Start a "How do I get a Wrangler for Free" thread. ;)

·
Registered
972 Posts
I've been looking for a while on and off and they are higher then KBB value by more than a little. Not what I would classify as fair. Seems like wranglers are usually sentimentally priced. Guess if some one will buy it at a price it's fair, but I haven't seen anything close.

·
6,913 Posts
Haven't checked KBB prices so I can't comment. But a buyer and a seller may have a different view of "Fair".

People seem to be willing to pay too much for a rusted out beater in my opinion. But want a clean example for $500 more, so that isn't fair to the seller. Some cars just sell for more because they have a following. An example of that would be the Mid eighties Buick Grand Nationals that held their value for quite some time.

I've also noticed that many Jeep owners don't care about high mileage. I purchased my Wrangler with 160,000+ miles. Considered a "baby" by most Jeep owners I spoke to.

·
Registered
501 Posts
AR_Guy said:
I feel your pain. The worst designed and built vehicles I have ever owned. I bought my Wife's Pontiac when it was 29 years old. I tore the entire thing a part and broke less bolts than I did on my 10 year old Jeep. The bolts are made of pot metal and don't get me started on Torx head screws. Everything will snap and break or spin in the body. Changing rear shocks on my Cherokee required pulling the back seat and rear carpet to cut a access panel in the floor, common fix. And dropping the pan on the automatic transmission required a torch.

Good luck with your search!
just yesterday i wanted to test fit my half doors, so i had to take off the nuts on the hinges of the full doors. now i can tell theyve been off before, since they werent tightened down all the way, plus the paint was messed up. so anyway, one came off fine, the other snapped the stud right off :bash

and wranglers hold their value VERY well.. you would be lucky to find any wrangler listed for less than $3000, regardless of year or mileage, unless it needs a ton of work. its just one of those things. some times "book value" doesnt fully apply to certain vehicles, and wranglers seem to be one of them

·
6,913 Posts
opey said:
just yesterday i wanted to test fit my half doors, so i had to take off the nuts on the hinges of the full doors. now i can tell theyve been off before, since they werent tightened down all the way, plus the paint was messed up. so anyway, one came off fine, the other snapped the stud right off :bash

and wranglers hold their value VERY well.. you would be lucky to find any wrangler listed for less than $3000, regardless of year or mileage, unless it needs a ton of work. its just one of those things. some times "book value" doesnt fully apply to certain vehicles, and wranglers seem to be one of them
For once I would like directions to fix something on my Jeeps that doesn't start with "First drill a hole next to the bolt and spray in PB Blaster"

·
Registered
613 Posts
There is a Wrangler in front of F&J transmisions on the bypass in Moriches. It looked good from the road it had a $6000 price on the window. I think it had a ragtop and half doors Im on my 5th Wrangler, 06. Never been without one I have to go to work in the snow. There number is 874-3417, Good Luck.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
.........jeeps are over priced on Long Island .( as is everything else)

I bought my yj in Jersey off ebay.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.