Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Retired
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for any leads for my cousin. His block was destroyed by the machine shop yesterday. Shop is willing to replace but finding a good one is not easy. He is looking on Long Island first but out of the area may have to happen. My cousin was supposed to pick up his engine tomorrow but I guess things happen. So if any of the car guys on here know of any leads I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

·
That Guy
11,504 Posts
Good luck.

I had a 383 350 4 bolt main and 400 crank and rods dam thing was a beast I miss that engine

Reactions: killian

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,861 Posts
Looking for any leads for my cousin. His block was destroyed by the machine shop yesterday. Shop is willing to replace but finding a good one is not easy. He is looking on Long Island first but out of the area may have to happen. My cousin was supposed to pick up his engine tomorrow but I guess things happen. So if any of the car guys on here know of any leads I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
let me look, if I don't still have one I know a guy who does

·
That Guy
11,504 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
I've got one. Out of a 1970 Blazer. [I've had it since 1980 .... 36 years!!! HOLY [email protected]!!!]

4 bolt main, [only made in '70-'71] std/std crank [short block still assembled].

I also have a set of .030 over forged flat top pistons, NIB, that go with it.

I was building a 406 at one point too.

$750 for the lot.

Which machine shop did he use???

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,861 Posts
I've got one. Out of a 1970 Blazer. [I've had it since 1980 .... 36 years!!! HOLY [email protected]!!!]

4 bolt main, [only made in '70-'71] std/std crank [short block still assembled].

$750 for the lot.

That's a deal!

·
Retired
1,899 Posts
$750 for the lot.

I will pass this along, thank you very much.
I don't know which shop. Rather not put it out there. Don't want anyone thinking he is bad mouthing them over an accident.

·
Retired
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of the help. My cousin just called to let me know that the machine shop is making it right and found a replacement block for him.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,861 Posts
Best outcome. Now I don't have to go digging in my shed

Reactions: killian

·
That Guy
11,504 Posts
Reactions: NRATC53 and killian

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,861 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
They do have the siamesed water jackets same as the current 502's.

While any block should be sonic checked for core shift before boring I knew a guy running as .060 over 413 that was a complete animal!

Overheating was a problem but more due to the head gasket design than the block .... they made the "steam holes" too small. Later corrected by Fel-Pro & others.

As usual, older is better than newer. 1970 especially used a higher nickel content in the cast iron. Later they went lighter & cheaper.

That's enough useless trivia for today :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts